Hardware nand flash dump (3ds xl)

anubis66679

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Yay , after tryning to do soldering on my 4.5 3DS, it'is not powering on anymore :) damn.
I keep check the motherboard and the soldering point but can't just say what 's wrong.
Maybe I did not put one cable ( screen , or camera or something else correctly that prevent it to go on). SIGH !!!

Update:
So damn happy, I put back my console to life !!!
Thank to youtube !!!

Yay , after tryning to do soldering on my 4.5 3DS, it'is not powering on anymore :) damn.
I keep check the motherboard and the soldering point but can't just say what 's wrong.
Maybe I did not put one cable ( screen , or camera or something else correctly that prevent it to go on). SIGH !!!

Update:
So damn happy, I put back my console to life !!!
Thank to youtube !!!

I had the exact same problem after doing this mod, my soldering is tidy but after taking apart my work My 3ds xl just hanged on the BLUE boot screen, it seems worse now as it just blinks to the BLUE screen for one second now, Im not really sure where to post this question... but any help from anyone is appreciated.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Whoopee, finished my adapter.

cat img1.img | md5 && cat img2.img | md5 && cat img3.img | md5 && cat img4.img | md5 && cat img5.img | md5
3ab1aefa23fbd58bf7a3d40a043d6d1e

Better safe than sorry. Looking good. :)

Reactions: Syphurith

lightenup

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I had the exact same problem after doing this mod, my soldering is tidy but after taking apart my work My 3ds xl just hanged on the BLUE boot screen, it seems worse now as it just blinks to the BLUE screen for one second now, Im not really sure where to post this question... but any help from anyone is appreciated.
Make sure you reconnected all connectors. Recheck your soldering: are there really no unintended bridges? Take a magnifying glass and ensure that you didn't accidentally drop soldering material that causes shorts now on the PCB.

0nethe

Trophies
XP
Country
Mali

Mine was not totally turning on. I thought maybe the fuses were dead. So, I have to buy a multimeter to make sure they were working.
Beside I have a normal 3DS (not XL which is easy to dump), I have to disconnect the top screen to make the soldering easy.
My problem was probably the screen connector. It is hard to put the cable back to its connector because I was using my hand to do it before I use the proper tool to make it connect tightly. I also, with a niddle, scratch al l the trace of the soldering on the PCB to make sure there were not bridge between them. After that and some prying :) it gone back to life like by magic :D
PS:
Did someone notice that the GATEWAY website is down for many hours now ?
Looks like Nintendo hacked them for revenge lol :)

Diablos90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi, I'd like to dump the nand of my 3DS, but I am a total noob in this matter.

I have a normal 3DS (not XL) with firmware 4.5, and I also have a Y trigram screwdriver to disassemble it and a Micro SD adapter and a Micro SD reader, and I have a friend with a soldering iron for micro-solderings (if they are needed), I miss only the wires.

There is an image (for normal 3DS) that explain where you have to solder on the board, or that describes what you should do step by step?

Thanks in advance :)

0nethe

Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Hi, I'd like to dump the nand of my 3DS, but I am a total noob in this matter.

I have a normal 3DS (not XL) with firmware 4.5, and I also have a Y trigram screwdriver to disassemble it and a Micro SD adapter and a Micro SD reader, and I have a friend with a soldering iron for micro-solderings (if they are needed), I miss only the wires.

There is an image (for normal 3DS) that explain where you have to solder on the board, or that describes what you should do step by step?

You need a + tiny screwdriver for that not a Y one. And also I think you only need the CLK ( back on the motherboard if not mistaken), DATA0, CMD and GND. Just make sure to give to someone who know hot to do soldering :)
http://www.3dbrew.org/w/images/a/a5/CTR_NAND_pinout.png
CTR_NAND_pinout.png

Diablos90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You need a + tiny screwdriver for that not a Y one. And also I think you only need the CLK ( back on the motherboard if not mistaken), DATA0, CMD and GND. Just make sure to give to someone who know hot to do soldering :)
http://www.3dbrew.org/w/images/a/a5/CTR_NAND_pinout.png

So, because the CLK is on the back of the board, I need to totally extract it from the shell, right?
I need to disassemble all to arrive at CLK?

anubis66679

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Mine was not totally turning on. I thought maybe the fuses were dead. So, I have to buy a multimeter to make sure they were working.
Beside I have a normal 3DS (not XL which is easy to dump), I have to disconnect the top screen to make the soldering easy.
My problem was probably the screen connector. It is hard to put the cable back to its connector because I was using my hand to do it before I use the proper tool to make it connect tightly. I also, with a niddle, scratch al l the trace of the soldering on the PCB to make sure there were not bridge between them. After that and some prying :) it gone back to life like by magic :D
PS:
Did someone notice that the GATEWAY website is down for many hours now ?
Looks like Nintendo hacked them for revenge lol :)

I
Make sure you reconnected all connectors. Recheck your soldering: are there really no unintended bridges? Take a magnifying glass and ensure that you didn't accidentally drop soldering material that causes shorts now on the PCB.
OK i got the magnifying glass out and took a another look, there was a microscopic blob of solder on one of the rows tiny chips next to the mod area, one of the legs must have disconnected bye mistake , so i touched it with the soldering iron and put the 3ds back together, and now it works!!
thanks for the advice.
Oh and about the Gateway site, ive found that there are 3 Official gateway site, one seems to always have there download section AS COMING SOON and others its up, and the News tab on site differs slightly. i found this out by mistake, must be one for US anther for UK and maybe AUS, so if ones down keep going through Google pages until you find it. I cant find any real way of identifying...

lightenup

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Anyone in this thread
*) being able to dump his firmware
*) have a pre 4.5 dump and can upgrade via cart to 4.5 OR
have a 4.5 dump and can upgrade via cart to a 5.x
if you have and can do both: perfect!
*) is able to compile a small&understandable C program (*nix platform) and run it on the dumps
--> Please PM me. Reward: good warm and fuzzy feeling to help at analyzing the encryption implementation and whether it can be broken.

\edit: I have everything I can hope for. Thanks everyone!

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the encryption used is well known... it's AES-CTR, i.e. unbreakable without the keys (provided nintendo has implemented it properly)

now, i would assume there is no way via software to extract the key, so we are stuck in this sense. theoretically it should be possible to get the key from the hardware somehow (it must be stored on a chip somewhere, after all), but it's probably virtually impossible to do this without breaking the hardware.

even if you have access to the entire unencrypted nand (like, say, neimod has had for months) in addition to its encryption, this doesn't help at all. AES is unbreakable (theoretically) even with known plaintext.

a side channel attack may be possible to get the key... but this doesn't help the 'average consumer', unless it can be implemented into a device that can be mass-produced, which is frankly a fantasy I think

lightenup

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
the encryption used is well known... it's AES-CTR, i.e. unbreakable without the keys (provided nintendo has implemented it properly)
Yes, I am not talking about breaking AES which would be quite a feat, but I was talking about a possibly flawed implementation. There is strong evidence of keystream reuse across the different firmware version dumps which allows for a pad reuse attack. This attack still faces the problem to basically derive p1 and p2 from (p1 XOR p2), meaning the more (p1 XOR p2), where p1 is fixed (e.g., a 4.5 version) and p2 is any other firmware version dump, the merrier the chances of recovering useful parts from p1.

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have 4.5 and 6.2 dumps, and can compile and run whatever program you can throw at me... pm me with the source code on a pastebin or something

not sure why you wanted pre-4.5 dumps or 5.x dumps instead of 6.x dumps?

lightenup

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
to keep the thread somewhat clean(er), plase PM me if you want to help out (not the ppl that have already posted). 4.5 <-> 6.1/6.2 is covered however, anything to 4.5 and 4.5 to 5.x would be very interesting although.

\edit: I have all I can hope for. Thanks everyone!

Diablos90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
CTR_NAND_pinout.png

Is fine a 15W soldering iron with tip of 1.1mm to solder the wire at the point CLK (normal 3DS)?

hashcheck1

Trophies
XP
Country
to keep the thread somewhat clean(er), plase PM me if you want to help out (not the ppl that have already posted). 4.5 <-> 6.1/6.2 is covered however, anything to 4.5 and 4.5 to 5.x would be very interesting although.

\edit: I have all I can hope for. Thanks everyone!

Hi mate i have a 3DSXL 4.4 Dump and will update to 4.5 shortly and dump again. So i can help also shoot through a PM Also got a Old Aqua 3DS on 2.2Fw lol which i will dump

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM