N64 - Zelda Majora's Mask native resolution

mcopo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
As I mentioned in my previous thread, my N64 is having issues when the game switches to higher resolutions. Since one of the reasons I bought the N64 was to play Majora's Mask, I'm concerned that I won't be able to play it...

This brings me to my question: does Majora's Mask use a higher resolution? Or does it run at the default N64 res - 320x240?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I mentioned in my previous thread, my N64 is having issues when the game switches to higher resolutions. Since one of the reasons I bought the N64 was to play Majora's Mask, I'm concerned that I won't be able to play it...

This brings me to my question: does Majora's Mask use a higher resolution? Or does it run at the default N64 res - 320x240?

N64 games also ran at 640 x 480, but most were 320 x 240, sounds like MM is running at 480i. Expansion Pack doing it's job :P Not the case with DK64 though, it needed it because Rare couldn't squash a game-breaking bug, so the accessory bypassed it. Weird huh?

mcopo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

Damn this PAL-M color system... thanks to that I won't be able to play the game that made me buy the system. At least there are other good games...
Thanks everybody!

EDIT: I just found some information on ign (http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/retrospective-the-legend-of-zelda-majoras-mask.124119439/). It says:
"Graphically, Majora's Mask looks a whole lot like Ocarina of Time. Even though the game requires the 4MB Expansion Pak to run, it's obvious that the Zelda engine wasn't so much limited by RAM than by fill-rate. Majora's Mask still runs in low-res (320x240) at sub-30 frames per second, but returning players will notice an increase of on-screen characters and a more complex overworld."
Can anyone confirm this? Amazing how long it took to find this on google!

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

Damn this PAL-M color system... thanks to that I won't be able to play the game that made me buy the system. At least there are other good games...
Thanks everybody!

Dang that sucks, PAL-M is weird; it's nearly identical to NTSC, the only thing different is how the colors are encoded.

AkiraCast

Former professional QA tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never heard of PAL-M before but I hear PAL TV's in general are kinda odd, like having 50hz but I know they have 60 now. Wish it wasn't complicated :/

mcopo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
PAL-M is Brazil standard color system. Instead of just mimicking NTSC or PAL, someone decided to merge them to create the monstrosity known as PAL-M.
Ok, it's not that bad, but it's annoying. Colors are blurry and every time my N64 enters high res mode, colors get really messed up, flashing from green to gray...

To make things even more complicated, there's also PAL-N which has 50hz. It's used only in Argentina and Uruguay AFAIK.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality