Homebrew N64 Emulator for Wii U (Not VWii)?

Knucklesfan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was wondering if anybody has began to port maybe a retroarch N64 Emulator. I would love to see this. Now, alot of people are saying "Why not just use N64 VC? Well, the N64 VC can't run romhacks, or run certain games I can play on RetroArch. And, yes I understand, Wii64 always exists, and it can run SOME rom hacks, but I would love to see an N64 running at the Wii U's processor speeds. If only I could play Last Impact on any other device than a computer...

Durelle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
AFAIK there isnt any development yet on that at all an d Wii64 well, not very good. But ive had good luck using Not64 on the few games i played on it. Its on the vWii but im pretty sure it has the WiiU pro controller support

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes no nintendo 64 emulator is in production due to the fact it would need a dynarec recompiler just as a psx emu would need to run at a decent speed. The experts say to develop a dynarec recompiler for the wiiu would take months if not years to achive

Last edited by AmandaRose,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sadly there is none in development that we know of.
Right now, there are some options:
  • Code a PowerPC dynarec of Mupen64 so that RetroArch can include the Mupen64 core into the RetroArch builds.
  • Port over Not64/Wii64 as a core to RetroArch. This would immediately make it compatible with the Wii U since it's also based in PowerPC architecture.
  • Further hack/develop the Wii U's N64 Virtual Console emulator. Right now this is the only option we have for playing N64 games in the Wii U, but sadly Nintendo decided to force all kind of video settings to what they wanted. Hacking it would mean removing the gamma correction (dark image) and perhaps hacking the RPX to allow 16:9 output instead of the forced 4:3.
  • Create new INI files for games which are not yet compatible with the Wii U's N64 VC.
    This would require people who are somewhat involved in the emulation scene as well as people who have hacked some N64 games in order to make proper INI files.
All of these are way easier than coding an N64 emulator from scratch for the console.
I would go for either option 1 or option 4, those are our best bets right now when it comes to the Wii U.

Last edited by ShadowOne333,
Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Code a PowerPC dynarec of Mupen64 so that RetroArch can include the Mupen64 core into the RetroArch builds.
All of these are way easier than coding an N64 emulator from scratch for the console.
Hate to say it, but making a PowerPC dynarec basically is making an emulator from scratch. It's hard to explain just how complex of a task that is - you'd basically be writing something with a similar level of complexity to a C compiler. They weren't kidding when they said it's a months/years job.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hate to say it, but making a PowerPC dynarec basically is making an emulator from scratch. It's hard to explain just how complex of a task that is - you'd basically be writing something with a similar level of complexity to a C compiler. They weren't kidding when they said it's a months/years job.
Yeah I wasn't really aware of how much of a task that would be, thanks for explaining though :)

the Gamma correction Alone would be nice
Indeed, that alone would make it so much better, I hate having to play N64 games with opaque colours.
Super Mario 64 screams in agony for that.

Sufficient to say, the best way is to kind of figure out the vessel.rpx in a basic level, just to be able to change the settings of resolution and gamma correction and I would be a pretty happy man.
The documentation of INI files alongside wi

Reactions: KiiWii

El 15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have been waiting for a n64 and psx emulator since wiiu was released I hope some day it were possible

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
It's not that it isn't possible. It's more like... why bother porting something over to a console no one cares about. I have heard multiple times that it is super obtuse to program and develop for
Also the fact that VC already exists, so that removes 90% of the use case

Reactions: Vorde

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
with the switch released all hackers now want to hack the switch wich will be much more friendly for homebrew since its ARM instead of wiiu hard as hell PPC programing.

Reactions: Vorde

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe pointing out that N64 Isn't even near perfect accuracy on PC so to make console ports and expect them to work is a miracle. I haven't used any VC injection for n64, dunno how, but if there is possible, and some games are there i would wanna play, that be nice. I have DK64 which is what i hoped for since WII. Glad most of the games i hoped for is there, like sin and punishment, but diddy kong racing would be good choice for VC game, or remake with online mode... or snowboard kids, or 1080 Snowboarding.... SO MANY GOOD CHOICES FOR GAMES. :P

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe pointing out that N64 Isn't even near perfect accuracy on PC so to make console ports and expect them to work is a miracle. I haven't used any VC injection for n64, dunno how, but if there is possible, and some games are there i would wanna play, that be nice. I have DK64 which is what i hoped for since WII. Glad most of the games i hoped for is there, like sin and punishment, but diddy kong racing would be good choice for VC game, or remake with online mode... or snowboard kids, or 1080 Snowboarding.... SO MANY GOOD CHOICES FOR GAMES. :P
They may not be 100% cycle accurate but 95% of the games out there play near perfectly. The game consoles that Nintendo make are really obtuse and weird which makes them difficult to emulate perfectly. Then again, realistically speaking, no one really needs perfect emulation. If you care that much, just buy the actual console

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
with the switch released all hackers now want to hack the switch wich will be much more friendly for homebrew since its ARM instead of wiiu hard as hell PPC programing.
There isn't much for the homebrew guys to do before exploits are built, so the mass exodus away from the Wii U everyone's been predicting hasn't actually happened.
Also, where did you get the idea PowerPC is a pain? Didn't see any problems for the Wii. It's simply less common, which means certain things (dynarec) haven't been made yet. ARM would take just as long, it's just that people have already written stuff for that platform.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk