Hacking N64 Emulation on 3DS... Speculation

Parasite X

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, except if you took the time to read this thread you'd know that the game was recoded from the ground up for the DS and is in no shape or form being emulated on the system. :P

I'm far from stupid you know I know that its a remake but even though its a remake it still has similar graphics to the original Super Mario 64

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm far from stupid you know I know that its a remake but even though its a remake it still has similar graphics to the original Super Mario 64
I'm not calling you stupid, I'm merely saying that the fact it looks similar or even the same doesn't mean that the system can emulate a given platform - emulation requires several times more processing power than the original platform. ;)

Reactions: tony_2018

Parasite X

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not calling you stupid, I'm merely saying that the fact it looks similar or even the same doesn't mean that the system can emulate a given platform - emulation requires several times more processing power than the original platform. ;)

My bad bro so how are you doing today :)

MyJoyConRunsHot

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FPSeCE and its Android port FPSe work more or less flawlessly simply because the PS1 is much, much easier to emulate, however the original video of Mario 64 visibly chugged.

Hardly, and that was due to homebrew coding which "visibly chugs" on most other homebrew platforms too such as the Wii.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hardly, and that was due to homebrew coding.
Whatever you say, man. Sometimes "homebrew coding" turns out to be entirely sufficient for commercial use, so don't blame everything on the coders. A good example here is jEnesisDS used in "Sonic Classic Collection" for the Nintendo DS - an instance of a homebrew emulator going commercial. The author of the emulator used is Stephan Dittrich, also known as Lordus, and he's credited as the author of the framework.

MyJoyConRunsHot

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Whatever you say, man. Sometimes "homebrew coding" turns out to be entirely sufficient for commercial use, so don't blame everything on the coders. A good example here is jEnesisDS used in "Sonic Classic Collection" for the Nintendo DS - an instance of a homebrew emulator going commercial. The author of the emulator used is Stephan Dittrich, also known as Lordus, and he's credited as the author of the framework.

I'm simply saying that homebrew coders know less of the hardware than the company it self. That's great that some homebrew gets commercialized, we've seen that with Colors DS, but official emulators almost always turn out better than homebrew and my examples were to show you that the emulation is so accurate in those examples that a little tweaking by Nintendo could get it full speed.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm simply saying that homebrew coders know less of the hardware than the company it self. That's great that some homebrew gets commercialized, we've seen that with Colors DS, but official emulators almost always turn out better than homebrew and my examples were to show you that the emulation is so accurate in those examples that a little tweaking by Nintendo could get it full speed.
We've explored why that's the case - because they're severely cut down in features. ;) That being said, you have a point - having official documentation does help. Thing is, official documentation is often times available online. You still have the benefit of being in contact with the original designers though, which is a huge plus.

Matzeus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Two years have passed and a lot of Progress has been made.
So any new thoughts?

If you ask me, at least the n3DS should be able to handle N64 emulation. I mentioned it ago, but even the crappy PSP was able to run Mario64 at good framerates (sometimes...without sound).

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So any new thoughts?

If you ask me, at least the n3DS should be able to handle N64 emulation. I mentioned it ago, but even the crappy PSP was able to run Mario64 at good framerates (sometimes...without sound).
The PSP had the same process architecture as the N64 iirc, which helped a lot for CPU emulation speeds.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
So any new thoughts?

Doesn't the PSP use MIPS architecture and 3DS use ARM so that's why N64 emulation is a lot harder on 3DS?

Reactions: Aether Lion

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only way we'll see this happen is if someone creates an emulator completely from scratch, and sacrifices a lot of accuracy along the way. Even then, it would likely only fit in the "proof of concept" territory and wouldn't be very likely to actually be usable.

Reactions: Aether Lion

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"