Hacking N3DSXL 9.0 gateway questions

gbatemplker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Been lurking around for a bit and had a lot of questions. Any help will be appreciated. This is for a New3DSXL on 9.0:

1) I see that to create a sysNAND backup and emuNAND and to get into the gateway menu, all we need is the gateway launcher.dat . What is the point of buying the gateway card ? Is it only for roms? What does the gateway card do that you cannot do using just the launcher ?

2) Do you still need Cubic for N3DSXL? I understand that there are 3 ways to invoke the gateway launcher.dat.. cubic, browser (go gateway-3ds com) and ds profile. Does the browser method work for the N3DSXL ? So everytime I need to get into the gateway menu, i need to use the cubic cart?

3) After setting up everything, when you start up the N3DSXL, does it boot sysNAND or emuNAND ? How do you switch between the 2 ? What are gateway mode and classic mode and how do they relate to sysNAND and emuNAND?

4) I hear that the gateway comes with a blue card for DS games.. do you need to do anything special to get this to work on the N3DSXL ?

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been lurking around for a bit and had a lot of questions. Any help will be appreciated. This is for a New3DSXL on 9.0:

1) I see that to create a sysNAND backup and emuNAND and to get into the gateway menu, all we need is the gateway launcher.dat . What is the point of buying the gateway card ? Is it only for roms? What does the gateway card do that you cannot do using just the launcher ?

2) Do you still need Cubic for N3DSXL? I understand that there are 3 ways to invoke the gateway launcher.dat.. cubic, browser (go gateway-3ds com) and ds profile. Does the browser method work for the N3DSXL ? So everytime I need to get into the gateway menu, i need to use the cubic cart?

3) After setting up everything, when you start up the N3DSXL, does it boot sysNAND or emuNAND ? How do you switch between the 2 ? What are gateway mode and classic mode and how do they relate to sysNAND and emuNAND?

4) I hear that the gateway comes with a blue card for DS games.. do you need to do anything special to get this to work on the N3DSXL ?

1) You can launch the gateway menu without the Red cart, you cannot launch Emunand or Sysnand with signatures patched without the Red cart though. Gateway Red is used for launching Emunand / Sysnand patched & .3ds games.

2) Yes, you need Cubic Ninja at least once (or OOT; but not all work I guess) for the N3DS. There are only 2 ways to launch Gateway menu for the N3DS on a clean system, and that's Cubic Ninja or OOT. No the browser method does not work for the N3DS, O3DS and N3DS use different browsers. If you install the Mset exploit & Gateways ROP, you'll only need Cubic Ninja once.

3) The 3DS will always boot to Sysnand, there is no Coldboot directly into Emunand. You can switch to Emunand using the profile exploit or Cubic Ninja / OOT once you have an Emunand setup - You can go back to Sysnand by entering System Settings and backing out or restarting the 3DS. Gateway mode is Emunand that allows you to use the Gateway Red cart along with Gateways other features - Classic lets you use your Retail carts in Emunand mode, both have nothing to do with Sysnand.

4) If you decide to install the Mset exploit so you can launch Gateway through the Profile menu, during that process you can install the Bluecardfix.cia, which will allow you to use the Blue Cart in Sysnand only (Unless you use a cfw like Reinand, then you can use it in that, but you'll be kicked to Sysnand when you exit a NDS game). Each time you use the Blue cart, you'll lose the Profile exploit & have to reinstall the ROP for Gateway, you can use the Blue cart to reinstall this very quickly though, so it's not a big deal. There's a method to get the profile exploit to stick; it doesn't work for everyone, but you can give it a try if you like. If you get the exploit to stick, after playing a NDS game, you won't lose the profile exploit. *At any time, the 'stuck' exploit can be lost for whatever reason though*

Those 4 questions seemed more like 10. :P
Hope that answers everything for you though.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You cannot launch sysnand classic mode or emunand without the GW red card. The only thing you can do with the launcher is backup sysnand and backup your game cards and saves through gw launcher.

gbatemplker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
1) You can launch the gateway menu without the Red cart, you cannot launch Emunand or Sysnand with signatures patched without the Red cart though. Gateway Red is used for launching Emunand / Sysnand patched & .3ds games.

2) Yes, you need Cubic Ninja at least once (or OOT; but not all work I guess) for the N3DS. There are only 2 ways to launch Gateway menu for the N3DS on a clean system, and that's Cubic Ninja or OOT. No the browser method does not work for the N3DS, O3DS and N3DS use different browsers. If you install the Mset exploit & Gateways ROP, you'll only need Cubic Ninja once.

3) The 3DS will always boot to Sysnand, there is no Coldboot directly into Emunand. You can switch to Emunand using the profile exploit or Cubic Ninja / OOT once you have an Emunand setup - You can go back to Sysnand by entering System Settings and backing out or restarting the 3DS. Gateway mode is Emunand that allows you to use the Gateway Red cart along with Gateways other features - Classic lets you use your Retail carts in Emunand mode, both have nothing to do with Sysnand.

4) If you decide to install the Mset exploit so you can launch Gateway through the Profile menu, during that process you can install the Bluecardfix.cia, which will allow you to use the Blue Cart in Sysnand only (Unless you use a cfw like Reinand, then you can use it in that, but you'll be kicked to Sysnand when you exit a NDS game). Each time you use the Blue cart, you'll lose the Profile exploit & have to reinstall the ROP for Gateway, you can use the Blue cart to reinstall this very quickly though, so it's not a big deal. There's a method to get the profile exploit to stick; it doesn't work for everyone, but you can give it a try if you like. If you get the exploit to stick, after playing a NDS game, you won't lose the profile exploit. *At any time, the 'stuck' exploit can be lost for whatever reason though*

Those 4 questions seemed more like 10. :P
Hope that answers everything for you though.

Thank you so much for answering all my questions.. really helpful :)

Now if you don't mind I have a few more :P

5) The DS profile exploit and MSET exploit are the same thing right ? What is Gateways ROP ? Also I keep coming across NVRAM.. do that have something to do with the MSET fix ?

6) Does the cubic method need me to have internet connectivity everytime I launch gateway menu ?
As an example after setting up everything, if I need to boot to emunand using cubic do i just first use the cubic cart to get into the gateway menu and then remove cubic card and then insert the red cart and then select gateway/classic mode ? Does the profile exploit need me to be connected to the internet everytime ?

7) So Bluecardfix makes changes to the sysNAND ? isnt that risky ? If I messed up the sysNAND somehow, can i restore from my sysNAND backup ?
On a related note If i accidentally upgraded my sysNAND to the latest version, can I still use my sysNAND backup to restore to the lower version ? Does the Bluecardfix require the MSET exploit ?

8) Last question! I have come across a lot of post talking about unlinking sys and emu NANDs.. is this required ?

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much for answering all my questions.. really helpful :)

Now if you don't mind I have a few more :P

5) The DS profile exploit and MSET exploit are the same thing right ? What is Gateways ROP ? Also I keep coming across NVRAM.. do that have something to do with the MSET fix ?

6) Does the cubic method need me to have internet connectivity everytime I launch gateway menu ?
As an example after setting up everything, if I need to boot to emunand using cubic do i just first use the cubic cart to get into the gateway menu and then remove cubic card and then insert the red cart and then select gateway/classic mode ? Does the profile exploit need me to be connected to the internet everytime ?

7) So Bluecardfix makes changes to the sysNAND ? isnt that risky ? If I messed up the sysNAND somehow, can i restore from my sysNAND backup ?
On a related note If i accidentally upgraded my sysNAND to the latest version, can I still use my sysNAND backup to restore to the lower version ? Does the Bluecardfix require the MSET exploit ?

8) Last question! I have come across a lot of post talking about unlinking sys and emu NANDs.. is this required ?

5) The Mset downgrades your Systems Settings to that of 4.5 Firmware which has an exploitable flaw, the ROP takes advantage of that exploit/flaw (There are separate ROPs for different things; Gateway / cfws). To use the profile exploit you launch System Settings > Other Settings > Profile > Nintendo DS Profile. - I don't exactly know what NVRAM does, nor do I care; it works. :|

6) You only internet connection for Cubic Ninja whenever you download a QR code. If you're only going to use Cubic Ninja for the Gateway exploit, and never use it for Ninjhax, then you'll only need to connect to the internet with it 1 time.

7) Bluecardfix should be installing to the Sysnands profile in the SD card, whenever you're messing with the Sysnand it can be risky though; just be careful and follow the directions. - The very first thing you should do when you get Cubic Ninja is boot into Gateway menu (You don't need the Flashcart to do this) and create a System Nand Backup. Then move that backup (NAND.BIN) to your PC, then backup that backup elsewhere (I'd suggest a flashdrive or DVD - PCs crash sometimes), then back it up again if you like. The point is this backup will be used (With a hardmod) incase you ever brick your 3DS or incase you ever want to restore your 3DS back to its default state (Before you installed Mset and what not).

8) Unlinking nands is not required. It solves the unwrap bug when you've installed cias to your Emunand though, as well as the installed Update / dlc via cia wipe whenever you enter System Settings > Data Management from Emunand, as well as the installed update / dlc via cia wipe whenever you access the e-shop from emunand (Some report that unlinking nands did not solve this problem for them; it works for me.).

Reactions: carlos2013

gbatemplker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
5) The Mset downgrades your Systems Settings to that of 4.5 Firmware which has an exploitable flaw, the ROP takes advantage of that exploit/flaw (There are separate ROPs for different things; Gateway / cfws). To use the profile exploit you launch System Settings > Other Settings > Profile > Nintendo DS Profile. - I don't exactly know what NVRAM does, nor do I care; it works. :|

6) You only internet connection for Cubic Ninja whenever you download a QR code. If you're only going to use Cubic Ninja for the Gateway exploit, and never use it for Ninjhax, then you'll only need to connect to the internet with it 1 time.

7) Bluecardfix should be installing to the Sysnands profile in the SD card, whenever you're messing with the Sysnand it can be risky though; just be careful and follow the directions. - The very first thing you should do when you get Cubic Ninja is boot into Gateway menu (You don't need the Flashcart to do this) and create a System Nand Backup. Then move that backup (NAND.BIN) to your PC, then backup that backup elsewhere (I'd suggest a flashdrive or DVD - PCs crash sometimes), then back it up again if you like. The point is this backup will be used (With a hardmod) incase you ever brick your 3DS or incase you ever want to restore your 3DS back to its default state (Before you installed Mset and what not).

8) Unlinking nands is not required. It solves the unwrap bug when you've installed cias to your Emunand though, as well as the installed Update / dlc via cia wipe whenever you enter System Settings > Data Management from Emunand, as well as the installed update / dlc via cia wipe whenever you access the e-shop from emunand (Some report that unlinking nands did not solve this problem for them; it works for me.).

cool :) thanks for answering all my questions!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu