N3DS XL brick fixing (ideas required)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by TLNiles, Jul 10, 2017.

1. TLNiles
    OP

TLNiles Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2016
    Russia
    So the deal is - a friend of mine gave me away his bricked N3DS. My plan is to get it working when I'll be back home via hardmodding it and injecting b9s into NAND, but I'm curious on what exactly caused the brick and if it actually can be fixed without screwdriwer and soldering iron.

How much I know about the brick:
    Luma3DS version he used I don't know. His system firm was 11.2 on the moment of the brick. Version of A9LH installed was one of those before CTR NAND payloads was possible. From what he said, he managed to brick the console by putting it in sleep mode while GBA game was running. It also doesn't look like hard brick - when turning on, power LED doesn't stays on, turning off after about a second. Which, as I understand, means that there's no bootrom loop or something. It looks similar to situation when no payload is present on SD-card, but the problem is that it's actually there.

Any ideas on what could have been the actual reason of the brick and if it's fixable without hardmod, before I proceed to it?

2. dpad_5678

dpad_5678 GBAtemp's Memelord

Nov 19, 2015
    United States
    Put both a Luma boot.firm and arm9loaderhax.bin file on your SD card.

3. TLNiles
    OP

TLNiles Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2016
    Russia
    Latter is already there. First probably won't bear any fruits, since he bricked his console somewhere in January-February, far before b9s went public.

4. Jhynjhiruu

Jhynjhiruu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 31, 2016
    If you boot A9LH without the SD card inserted properly (equivalent of 'without arm9loaderhax.bin on the SD card') it turns off, exactly as described by OP, so try making sure the SD card is properly inserted, try another SD card, or format it in a different format.

sks316 likes this.
  5. Boured

Boured The most perverted furry

GBAtemp Patron
    Boured is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 25, 2015
    United States
    Wherever I log in at ^w^
    When it does that, it usually means that no arm9loaderhax.bin is found on the SD card, and even if it is, it is unsupported. I recommend using https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s to update to boot9strap, which is the newest exploit and should run on an A9LH payload version that old.

If your able to boot but the CTRNAND is borked, then you are also able to do a CTRTransfer to basically in a noob term "Reinstall" the 3DS OS by transferring a working image of it.

Last edited by Boured, Jul 10, 2017
  6. TLNiles
    OP

TLNiles Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2016
    Russia
    Small update - I've found a fitting screwdriver here, and so played a little bit with files on SD. Trying to run SafeA9LHInstaller does nothing. Replacing arm9loaderhax.bin with different A9LH versions of Luma does nothing. Trying to replace arm9loaderhax.bin with B9SInstaller makes console to stay in loading loop(power LED stays on as if console got hard bricked). Without SD, console stays on a little longer, but doesn't load and turns off with short clap from dynamics. Any ideas about the reasons of such behaivour?

7. bobdamnit

bobdamnit GBAtemp Regular

Jul 15, 2014
    United States
    Can you launch payloads?

8. TLNiles
    OP

TLNiles Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2016
    Russia
    Nope

9. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    It could be the Wi-Fi card, he might've dropped it or someone else has.
    If the Wi-Fi card is even slightly loose, the console will not boot.

10. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Don't forget ribbon cables

Majickhat55 and Yepi69 like this.
  11. TLNiles
    OP

TLNiles Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2016
    Russia
    Okay, so I'm kind of in situation where I don't know how to proceed any futher. All the wires are soldered to their places, yet when I put the wires to their respective SD-reader slots, I don't get bluescreen with bootrom error. Instead, power LED turns on for a bit and then turns off(even if SD card with B9SInstaller is in slot(and as you remember, doing that normally puts the console into loading loop)). Have I actually done wiring wrong, is it my SD-reader to blame or I simply missing something else? On my side, I'm pretty sure that I plugged back all the plumes and what not, so there's no loose wiring or something, as well as all the screws are on their place.

12. epickid37

epickid37 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    why would i tell you stalkers where i live?
    Try testing your SD card for errors.

13. dotqurter_

dotqurter_ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 21, 2016
    United States
    lost in ARM9
    If he attempted to install (or if you tried) B9S using 3ds.guide and didn't take the .bin files out of the luma-payloads post-B9S, then its that.

But since it seems to not load payloads at all, it could be a borked A9LH.bin on his NAND. Maybe renaming godmode9.firm (or .bin) to boot.firm (or arm9loaderhax.bin) and try again? (just a suggestion, as I did that and it loaded godmode9.)

Last edited by dotqurter_, Jul 15, 2017
  14. TLNiles
    OP

TLNiles Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2016
    Russia
    Again - he managed to brick his console far before b9s, so he had no chance to even try to install it.
    Also there's no problems caused by SD-card - console doesn't load payloads even from SD taken from my functioning 2DS.
    On top of that, when I'm trying to get access to bootrom via hardmod, instead of getting bootrom error when frankenSD is inserted in card reader,it instantly turns off. Which leaves me without ideas on how to proceed.

15. Ygreck

Ygreck Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 6, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Have your friend a nand backup? And don't forget to use payloads from February and not from today for testing.

16. TLNiles
    OP

TLNiles Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2016
    Russia
    Yes, there's nand backup on his SD, it's solid and of right size for N3DS XL nand. And I've tried several versions of A9LH Luma payload, none of them worked.

17. tedmg091309131

tedmg091309131 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    Are you sure it isn't a mcu brick. If it is then not even ntrboothax will work.

18. SirECK

SirECK GBAtemp Fan

Jul 1, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario, Canada
    Are you using a recommended card reader for hardmods?

Plugable USB3-FLASH3 -
    SIIG JU-MR0E12-S1-
    Startech FCREADMICRO3 -
    SanDisk SDDR-121-A11M : GL827
    Anker® USB 3.0 4-Slot Card Reader (A7612) : RT5301 (Ava)

Also are you connecting the 3DS to the card reader 1st, turning the console on 2nd and connecting the reader to the PC 3rd?

Last edited by SirECK, Jul 16, 2017
  19. TLNiles
    OP

TLNiles Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2016
    Russia
    I'm not quite sure still what exactly MCU brick and how I can check if what I have at hands is one. Any suggestions or information on the topic?

No I'm not using any of those card readers, since none of them are avaliable in place where I live. And yes, I've been doing things in proper order, yet after I insert adapter in card reader, 3DS instantly turns off instead of giving bootrom error on boot.

20. SirECK

SirECK GBAtemp Fan

Jul 1, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario, Canada
    Not all card reader will work, have you ever done a hardmod before using that card reader you are using now?
    I'll suggest for now is try another card reader, failing that it could be possibility be the soldering. Bad joints or wrong wires soldered to wrong test points.etc
    Do you have a multi-meter with continuity?