Hardware N3DS NAND backup possible, I hope.

EmceeKerser

Trophies
XP
Country
Just go to aliexpress or ebay and search for fpc microsd or so.
Months ago i was thinking of using one of those to install it inside the n3dsxl and have the fpc microsd tip come out from the n3ds microsd slot hole and just have it resting there in that coin shaped space. No need for any case cutting or plugs, just remove battery cover, pop it into an sd adapter and good to go.
Ive been considering it, since Ive had really bad luck with micro USB adapters, Ive got an o3DS XL though, shouldnt make a difference though should it?

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
So after testing out a couple different configurations, card readers and various pins this has been the pinout that works (not just for me anymore! :P)

There may be other motherboards as time goes on that look different, so please check before you do anything. Also this is for educational purposes only and you do so at your own risk. It's taken me a couple hours to get it down but I hope it works for you as well to keep your SysNAND backed up manually or you need to restore an image because it somehow got accidentally updated :(.

This is for the N3DS XL, just a note but the mobo has the lettering RED-CPU-01.
View attachment 17927

This is an alternate location on the other side of the board for CLK, it's a test point so it's a large pad to solder to and easier to access.

View attachment 17926

A ground point that's easy enough to access on the reverse side. There are a lot of them as the board uses a ground pour so you can easily hunt around for one.
View attachment 15698

Do not use this area (the RED selected area) for a GND point because of the object in blue.
View attachment 18624
You can't use the ground near the power connector or on it unfortunately :wink:
If you check around it, it actually goes though an inductor, or transformer, but I am voting it's being used an inductor, before getting to the ground plane. That adds a little resistance to it and I don't think the inductor is charging since there is no power at the connector.

Inductors start off as a open circuit until their magnetic fields are charged and stabilized which then it acts as a short. The reason for the inductor is to help handle changes in current, since the wall supply is a switching supply the inductor here helps stabilize the switching noise from the charger.

P.S. if you have a good multimeter you can check the resistance of the inductor from other points on the GND plane and there should be a bit of difference.
This is for the N3DS (nonXL), just a note but the mobo has the lettering KTR-CPU-01.
View attachment 18124

This is an alternate test point on the other side of the board for CLK for the N3DS.
View attachment 18125

If you are on Windows here is a small guide for backing up the system eMMC using Win32DiskImager.

Using the TekRepublic TUC-300 Reader I was still hitting around 6MB/s with just one DAT line and 21MB/s using all the DAT lines. Please let me know of any error or problems in any of my diagrams, this was fun to figure out. I'll keep you updated :lol:

Alright so I've tested it fully (backups and writes) with many systems now of, both of my own and other members here, I can safely say this works well with both the Samsung and Toshiba eMMC.

I updated to 9.5 and then restored my backup of 9.0. I posted a couple images on Page 3 post #60.

Please note the N3DS eMMC does not work in every card reader, it can be hit or miss and this list is not exact but these are known to work with the 3DS and N3DS.

For working card readers I have had good success with the:
Anker® USB 3.0 (68UNMCRD-B2U) : Realtek RTS5306
TekRepublic TUC-300 : Realtek RTS5307

Some other card readers that use the same chipset /controller but have not been tested although should work:
Plugable USB3-FLASH3 -
SIIG JU-MR0E12-S1-
Startech FCREADMICRO3 -

Other card readers that work
SanDisk SDDR-121-A11M : GL827
Transcend P8 TS-RDP8K : ALCOR AU6476 (Thank you Gamerquest1 and zchtoy)
Anker® USB 3.0 4-Slot Card Reader (A7612) : RT5301 (Ava)

Card reader chipsets known not to work on N3DS with the Samsung eMMC, but may still work on one with the Toshiba and the 3DS/XL eMMC:
GL3220
GL3233
GL834

If anyone has any other card readers they have used with success on both the N3DS Toshiba and Samsung eMMC please let me know so I can add them to the list. Thank you! ^_^

A little bit more about the card readers I have tested and what works and what doesn't!
Okay so here are the card reader controller, makes well enough sense why the Tek-Republic and Anker ones work as they use basically Identical controllers. I wonder what my old Transend TS-RDP5K used to use. Can't find much about the Realtek controllers unfortunately but there are a couple other ones out there that use it from what I have seen. I will be updating as I get / test more that I have access to, also will be adding info from USBDeview v2.41 about each card reader.

Anker® USB 3.0 (68UNMCRD-B2U) : Realtek RTS5306 : Works as decently as the Tek one does, no issues at all on reading or writing
haxwG.JPG
TekRepublic TUC-300 :Realtek RTS5307 : Works well for me on the 3DS/XL and N3DSXL, my go to reader.
haxxP.JPG
Anker® USB 3.0 4-Slot Card Reader (A7612) : RT5301 :Works well for me on the 3DS/XL and N3DSXL
Transcend TS-RDP5K : GL834 Product Info : Sadly I can't get this new one to work for the N3DS but still works fine on my 3DS XL
haxzv.JPG
Transcend TS-RDF5K (USB 3.0) : GL3233 Product Info : Same story as above
haxzX.JPG
SanDisk SDDR-121-A11M : GL827 Datasheet : I've played around with this did some reads and writes to the 3DS/XL and N3DSXL works but it's a microSD reader, hard to use without an adapter or soldering directly to it.
haxAx.JPG
So that's the card readers I have and the information I have on them currently. Feel free to chime in with what works for you and what doesn't. As the N3DS eMMC seems to be pickier but not all controllers are made equally and who knows how the firmware on them is. I will add more about them and info

Side Note: Not exactly sure but SIIG, StarTek, and Plugable all make card readers that look just like the TekRepublic one.

Size info for the eMMC's
Samsung 1.21 GB (1,300,234,240 bytes)
Toshiba = 1.84 GB (1,979,711,488 bytes)

A possible way to check if your eMMC image was any good is to look at it with a Hex Editor, I am sure there are better methods though, but this has worked for me. Also as others have said, booting the dump in emuNAND is a good way to check its validity.

View attachment 17928

Thank you for taking the time to check this out and if you have any questions or comments please ask, I'll do my best to help! ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the old Image incase someone finds it any easier to see
View attachment 15783
So I know I posted this in a different thread but I decided I would make a new thread for any input and keeping a record about anything I or someone else figures out.

I've tested the 12 pins around the eMMC both front and back also, the US black N3DS XL I have doesn't use a Samsung eMMC. If anyone knows something about eMMC logic that would be great please get in touch with me.

So I'm pretty sure I've found the DAT 0/1/2/3, as they were pretty obvious just don't know which is which and a couple lines that are definitely clocks. There is a small spike in one of the lines during the clock start up and I wonder if it's the CMD but again i don't have much knowledge on eMMC logic.

I am thinking I am going to utilize my old 3DS and look at that data to give me an idea what each line should look like on system boot up.

It's not very hard to get the N3DS XL into everyone's favorite blue screen of error, hehe.

Also some pretty pictures :huh:
PS. - Please ignore the Data part on the top I was playing around with protocol analyzers. Also sorry about the tiny letter and messed up order in the logic analyzer windows.

View attachment 15676 View attachment 15677 View attachment 15678
View attachment 15679 View attachment 15680

This is the the pin testing points that I originally used:
View attachment 15784

Probably a Stupid question but why does the USB cable from the 3DS has to connect to > SD card adapter > the Anker Card reader > The PC?

Couldn't you get a USB cable to connect to the PC directly and do the same thing?
I'm probably missing something

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Probably a Stupid question but why does the USB cable from the 3DS has to connect to > SD card adapter > the Anker Card reader > The PC?

Couldn't you get a USB cable to connect to the PC directly and do the same thing?
because the nand in the 3DS isnt a USB drive, its a emmc chip.....which is basically very similar to a SD card, so its possible to read it via a SD reader, hooking a USB cable directly to the chip will result in 1 of 2 option
1) bugger all happens as the chip doesnt use the USB protocol
2) you fry your nand and your 3DS is dead

the nand mod only uses the usb port as a port to make it easy to connect/disconnect the mod, it could be any port at all, if i wanted i could use a molex port, that doesnt suddenly mean i could plug it into a PC power supply and read it

milerwan

Seasoned technician
Trophies
XP
Country
France

The eMMC NAND is powered with 3.3V so it is for that reason that USB SD card reader is required to supply the same voltage (3.3V).
If you use Micro USB classic cable and plug the NAND to the PC, you provide 5V and burn out immediately the NAND.

Anker is not compulsory but say that the USB drive must have a compatible chipset with the eMMC of N3DS/N3DS XL (Samsung and Toshiba).
There is also "C307-SDXC" reader that is compatible and cheaper than the Anker model.
You could find pictures of it from this link : http://www.infinitydream.com/usb-30-micro-sdsdhcsdxcmmcrsmmc-card-reader-p-1153.html

happydance

Trophies
XP
Country
any idea why I'm having the blue screen even though CMD and CLK is disconnected from the microsd card reader? but when I disconnected the GND form the card reader the 3ds boots normally

I'm trying to do the usb mod on a n3ds

is this a card reader issue? BTW I've read and write the nand just fine.. im avoiding to using 2 switch just to disable CMD, CLK and GND

milerwan

Seasoned technician
Trophies
XP
Country
France
There is a short circuit with GND.
Desolder all wires and redo all with new SD adapter without switches from beginning.

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
I manage to do the Hard mod and everything works great except my
home button stooped working! Has this happened to anyone else?

I triple checked the ribbon and is connected all the way and it's not
pinched anywhere nor has it received any damage.

milerwan

Seasoned technician
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I manage to do the Hard mod and everything works great except my
home button stooped working! Has this happened to anyone else?

I triple checked the ribbon and is connected all the way and it's not
pinched anywhere nor has it received any damage.
This due to connector that has been pull up during disassembly (this part don't need to be raised...).
Try to remove the Home button ribbon, press on the connector then plug the Home ribbon and press again one time the connector.
This trick must fix your issue.

PS : Test the Home button with console opened and battery maintained with fingers. This avoids having to disassemble / reassemble the shell.

Reactions: Zeriel

Zeriel

Squid Kid
Trophies
XP
Country
This due to connector that has been pull up during disassembly (this part don't need to be raised...).
Try to remove the Home button ribbon, press on the connector then plug the Home ribbon and press again one time the connector.
This trick must fix your issue.

PS : Test the Home button with console opened and battery maintained with fingers. This avoids having to disassemble / reassemble the shell.

This worked! you're a fucking legend! :D

FeierabendTV

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have successfully completed a Nand Mod, but my touch screen seems to be broken.
The picture is there but if I touch the screen nothing happens.

Edit: Everything is fixed now, a cable was not plugged in

Last edited by FeierabendTV,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE