Hardware N3DS NAND backup possible, I hope.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes they fit in the wrist strap hole.
15260894891_db0b2a4847_z.jpg

StaticPain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That worked, I was able to write my old backup I did with gateway. I only get a half a MB a second but it works!
Thanks dude, is there a seamless way to put them into a 3ds xl like the micro usb? Without a case mod?
I just tuck mine in when I put it back together and when I need it I take the back of again. Probably not the most convenient way of getting to it but I didn't have to drill into the case.

Last edited by StaticPain,
Reactions: EmceeKerser

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
So i seem to have encountered a problematic system i did for someone.

It reads perfectly fine but every time like clockwork it will fail writing at 4 percent (error 1117).

We both have the same card reader which I've personally tested on about 10 different systems now without fault Startech FCREADMICRO3 so I'm pretty sure it isn't a case of him getting a faulty reader as his 3ds just arrived back to me this morning and tested with my reader with the same result. Reads perfect with consistent speed, but writing fails at 4 percent.

I triple checked everything before it left me over a week ago and it was reading/writing fine, i can't figure out what the problem is.

Anyone encountered this at all? It's a n3ds XL samsung chip btw.

Got me a little stumped... :(

Might want to add the Startech FCREADMICRO3 to the "good" readers list too @Avalynn

EmceeKerser

Trophies
XP
Country

It reads perfectly fine but every time like clockwork it will fail writing at 4 percent (error 1117).

We both have the same card reader which I've personally tested on about 10 different systems now without fault Startech FCREADMICRO3 so I'm pretty sure it isn't a case of him getting a faulty reader as his 3ds just arrived back to me this morning and tested with my reader with the same result. Reads perfect with consistent speed, but writing fails at 4 percent.

I triple checked everything before it left me over a week ago and it was reading/writing fine, i can't figure out what the problem is.

Might want to add the Startech FCREADMICRO3 to the "good" readers list too @Avalynn
Have you checked the write lock on the SD reader?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP

i had one do the same but a o3DSXL, i can only assume the nand developed a badblock or something, and unfortunately the user's GF had updated the system, after checking the area where the writing was failing (it was within the TWL Fat partition) i still managed to downgrade by directly restoring after the affected area

i was originally going to try a force erase on the drive to see if i could get that block remapped, but after i got the system downgraded i didn't want to risk force erasing and then hitting problems restoring so i just left it as is, if he needs to downgrade again i will walk him though restoring the nand in 2 chunks

PS, it was pretty much identicle to what your describing, but at 8%, i tried rewiring, really short cables, new adapters etc so im pretty certain it was some sort of hardware error

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: BerserkLeon

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
Have you checked the write lock on the SD reader?

Yes checked that, not the problem.
i had one do the same but a o3DSXL, i can only assume the nand developed a badblock or something, and unfortunately the user's GF had updated the system, after checking the area where the writing was failing (it was within the TWL Fat partition) i still managed to downgrade by directly restoring after the affected area

i was originally going to try a force erase on the drive to see if i could get that block remapped, but after i got the system downgraded i didn't want to risk force erasing and then hitting problems restoring so i just left it as is, if he needs to downgrade again i will walk him though restoring the nand in 2 chunks

PS, it was pretty much identicle to what your describing, but at 8%, i tried rewiring, really short cables, new adapters etc so im pretty certain it was some sort of hardware error

Hmm interesting, so is there any way around it that you know of or a way to fix it?
Really had me scratching my head, but then you mentioned bad block which i remember from my xbox 360 days which were a pain but easy to fix, no idea how to go about fixing on 3ds though tbh.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Yes checked that, not the problem.

Hmm interesting, so is there any way around it that you know of or a way to fix it?
Really had me scratching my head, but then you mentioned bad block which i remember from my xbox 360 days which were a pain but easy to fix, no idea how to go about fixing on 3ds though tbh.
well really afaik the emmc chip should automatically detect and remap bad blocks, but that doesnt seem to be the case, thats why i was thinking to run a force erase on it via the raspberry pi in the hopes it would kick in the bad block management function.......but im no expert on these things and i got the system downgraded anyway so i ended up just leaving it as is, the theoretical bad block in my case was in a ok area right near the end of the TWL fat16 partition, so i figured it best not to poke the angry nand with with a stick , just split the nand into 2 sections and restored it skipping the affected area

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
Well I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do...

Tried updating to 9.2 (with cooking mama sky3ds, from 9.0) in the hope that updating would make the nand do its thing and remap the bad spot, no luck still fails writing at 4 percent...hmm

Hmm well this is really strange. Just totally removed the JST port i had in place and wired it up to my microsd sniffer adapter i got from sparkfun with only 2 dat lines, 0 and 3 (i had it connected to my arduino first with unbricker to see if it'd tell me anything, it didn't) and it is writing perfectly fine...

Now WHY i find it strange is because before it left here to go back to the owner a week ago it was writing fine then too with the JST port... hmm

More editing!... well this is REALLY strange, i disconnected the extra dat line (dat3) that shouldn't be needed, lo and behold... reads fines, fails writing as usual...WHAT THE HELL!!!

Last edited by Shadowtrance,

EmceeKerser

Trophies
XP
Country
Well I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do...

Tried updating to 9.2 (with cooking mama sky3ds, from 9.0) in the hope that updating would make the nand do its thing and remap the bad spot, no luck still fails writing at 4 percent...hmm

Hmm well this is really strange. Just totally removed the JST port i had in place and wired it up to my microsd sniffer adapter i got from sparkfun with only 2 dat lines, 0 and 3 (i had it connected to my arduino first with unbricker to see if it'd tell me anything, it didn't) and it is writing perfectly fine...

Now WHY i find it strange is because before it left here to go back to the owner a week ago it was writing fine then too with the JST port... hmm

More editing!... well this is REALLY strange, i disconnected the extra dat line (dat3) that shouldn't be needed, lo and behold... reads fines, fails writing as usual...WHAT THE HELL!!!
Perhaps the dat test point is fucked and it's only able to write via the dat 3 point? But if that was the case then wouldn't it fail a read too?

Shadowtrance

Trophies
XP
Country
Perhaps the dat test point is fucked and it's only able to write via the dat 3 point? But if that was the case then wouldn't it fail a read too?

I have no idea. the dat point appears fine, i haven't destroyed it and yeah it reads totally fine just won't bloody write with DAT0. It has really got me stumped. If it were my system i'd have thrown it against the wall by now lol But it's not so i must restrain myself...

nitrozz

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
i bought the micro b connector and cable from infintydream there only 4 wire to connect (DAT0, CLK, GND, GND) this is correct ? can read and write to nand ?
new 3ds XL SysNand 9.0

edit: can i use wire that used for ps2 mod ? is like transformer core wire

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only things you need to worry about with the wire are the length, it's not bare (no shorting against something) and you can close the case back up without putting pressure on the screen.

And I sure wish someone would post updated diagrams. It's MUCH easier and safer to use the clk point on the other side.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it