Hardware N3DS NAND backup possible, I hope.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man, I'll be very pissed off (and happy at the same time, hehe) if this works for me :)
Trying it now...
Any luck out of curiosity?

You can't use the ground near the power connector or on it unfortunately :wink:
If you check around it, it actually goes though an inductor, or transformer, but I am voting it's being used an inductor, before getting to the ground plane. That adds a little resistance to it and I don't think the inductor is charging since there is no power at the connector.

Inductors start off as a open circuit until their magnetic fields are charged and stabilized which then it acts as a short. The reason for the inductor is to help handle changes in current, since the wall supply is a switching supply the inductor here helps stabilize the switching noise from the charger.

P.S. if you have a good multimeter you can check the resistance of the inductor from other points on the GND plane and there should be a bit of difference.

Makes sense. I never tested it, just knew it was one of my problems when first trying mods on the new 3DS.

Reactions: mvmiranda

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Any luck out of curiosity?

Sweet mother of little baby Jesus!

I can't believe that GND screwed me :/ so laaaame!
Thx hundshamer for the tip... sorry Avalynn for not pying attention to your GND spot :)
Feel free to "use my example as a tip in your front page! :)

I'm happy now... My Majora's Mask console is complete now :)

Reactions: cearp

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sweet mother of little baby Jesus :D
It worked!

Thx hundshamer for the tip... sorry Avalynn for not pying attention to your GND spot :)

Glad you got it working that's the most important part lol ;)
Hope the explanation of why the other ground spot near the power connector made sense. I guess I can update the first post to state not to use that area in general.

Updated the first post to reflect this to help members out :lol:

atkfromabove

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sweet mother of little baby Jesus :D
It worked!

That was the exact same thing that messed me up for the longest time. I thought that there was no way that the ground could be the issue but then I moved it, and eureka it was reading with no issues!

mvmiranda

Trophies
Website
www.gamemod.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
That was the exact same thing that messed me up for the longest time. I thought that there was no way that the ground could be the issue but then I moved it, and eureka it was reading with no issues!

Man! It felt sooo lame! :/
33 years, a degree in computer science and still "not reading everything before attempting" beats me :/
Avalynn said this info was in page 1... indeed it is... it's so dumb of my part. LOL

EDIT: Do you know what's worse?
I paid the equivalent of a kidney for two transcend original readers and the cheap ass reader I already had also worked... LAAAAAAME!

gameus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty scared to attempt this myself, I don't mind paying for shipping and services to have someone else do this, but I'm wondering if there's a trusted member that'd be willing to do a hard mod on a PAL Majora's Mask N3DS. Who would I come into contact with?

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty scared to attempt this myself, I don't mind paying for shipping and services to have someone else do this, but I'm wondering if there's a trusted member that'd be willing to do a hard mod on a PAL Majora's Mask N3DS. Who would I come into contact with?

I had hundshamer do mine, since mine was also a LE that would be difficult to replace.

Avalynn also does it.

From their threads:

Prices are as follows (including return shipping with tracking within the US):
$25 for unbricking service on both original and XL versions.
$35 for a micro JST port and an SD adapter for an XL.
$45 for a micro JST port and an SD adapter for an original 3DS.

$55 for a micro JST port and an SD adapter for a New 3DS XL.

Hey there :) I can do the eMMC mod for the N3DS (XL) / 3DS (XL) / 2DS if you are looking for someone in the US East Coast, I am in Massachusetts.

My going rate is $15 and you pay shipping both ways, this isn't a business for me I just enjoy doing it and helping people out. My typical turn around time is roughly a day or two day depending on my schedule.

I use 1.27mm pitch headers as they are much smaller and can be placed in many locations. I am open to suggestions if you have specific type of connector you want such as the microUSB one I can do that as well or source whatever connector you would prefer but that will add to the time if I don't already have it. The SD adapter is included in the price no matter which option you choose.

Also if anyone needs an spare or replacement SD adapter whether it microUSB, 1.27mm header, 2.54mm header I can make and ship those to you for $3
Please note these quotes may become outdated and you should contact them directly for more information.

Reactions: gameus

gameus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the information. I'll definitely contact both and see what will work out for me the best.

milerwan

Seasoned technician
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is someone has tested this one with New 3DS/3DS XL ?: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Supe...for-Micro-SD-SDHC-SD-TF-Card/32285005681.html

Goforward USB 3.0 Card Reader (same as Integral brand)

url

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it smart to make a NAND dump each time I update to a new Firmware version? I have my 9.0 and 9.6 dumps but haven't dumped 9.7 I was wondering if it really matters as long as I have my earlier dumps?
if you've made progress in games that you don't want to lose (especially Street Pass stuff), it's better to make a backup before doing anything that changes your (emu)NAND. Along with the contents of your SD card. IMHO it's less of a hassle than worrying about whether you've captured everything with savedatafiler or not.

AkiraX3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
My New3DS XL seems to be really picky...
Can someone suggest me a good/compatible USB Card Reader?
Maybe from Amazon.de

This would really help:)
Thanks a lot.

veekay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'd say at this point it would be best to pull off the entire chip and find all the routes. Maybe once more broken N3DS's start showing up I can grab one and just pull the chip off for science or whatever. I'd keep going if it weren't for the backlight though, I was going good with no casualties or anything up until that (well the microphone went out because I was stupid and thought the connector was one of those clip ones but I somehow fixed that).
...just checked my N3DS after leaving it plugged in and alone for a while, backlight fixed itself! I think somehow I managed to screw something in a bit too tight and it derped up something in the panel (nearly had a heart attack when I saw the bottom backlight on just plain black the first time around), so definitely be careful with how you route your wires on the smaller one, and get super thin wires (magnet wire doesn't sound like a horrible option as long as it can handle the voltages).

Sorry to bring up such an old post, but how did you manage to fix the microphone? I just noticed last night that mine doesn't work and no matter how much I press down on the little connector I get no change. I think that was the first one I removed and like you also thought it was a clip type.

AkiraX3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Leads pressing the "Format" Button to a brick?
(I mean after connecting the Hard Modded 3DS+Card Reader with the PC)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.