Hardware N3DS NAND backup possible, I hope.

Avalynn

I'm here to learn and help.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd still love to get my hands on a N3DS but no one around me seems to have one. Did the US get any of these or did we only get the XL version??

ophbalance

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe he placed the hole in the housing of the battery case just like the OG 3DS. You can then cover it up with the bottom half face plate and it's completely out of view.

Yes, but I'd rather not like a big 'ol gaping hole in the side there ;). Even if it's hidden, should I ever want to file a warranty claim that's a bit hard to explain. But it should be fairly easy to claim that the wrist strap broke through that little peg should push come to shove.

Avalynn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but I'd rather not like a big 'ol gaping hole in the side there ;). Even if it's hidden, should I ever want to file a warranty claim that's a bit hard to explain. But it should be fairly easy to claim that the wrist strap broke through that little peg should push come to shove.
Yes I agree, no one likes that but I don't care to much on my personal ones as I was doing this to figure it all out to being with. I think you could squeeze a micro USB in there. Buuut you'd have to do a bit more then just cutting the little pole. There is a shroud around it that would need to be removed and the size of the connector would be touching the stylus a little.

There is a ton of wiggle room in the N3DSXL, So I am going to integrate a card reader, and use the microUSB to change the 3DS (of course put a diode to stop the card reader from being powered up in normal use) as well cause they didn't give me a charger after all. :ha:

Reactions: cearp

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Filing a warranty on a system you're willing to gut and solder your own connections to makes no sense... Why not just get replacement parts and fix it yourself? And with a hardmod your basically full-proofing yourself against any software errors that could be had, the only reason for a warranty claim would be hardware failure which will wear out with a year or 3 years, whatever the unit comes with. I'd be all for poking a hidden hole and calling it a day.

ophbalance

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Filing a warranty on a system you're willing to gut and solder your own connections to makes no sense... Why not just get replacement parts and fix it yourself? And with a hardmod your basically full-proofing yourself against any software errors that could be had, the only reason for a warranty claim would be hardware failure which will wear out with a year or 3 years, whatever the unit comes with. I'd be all for poking a hidden hole and calling it a day.

Because for the first year, baring a hinge failure, Big N is on the hook to fix it. Second point... there don't appear to be any spare parts at present. I could get replacement parts all day long for the older units but none at present for the new ones. I suppose I could hit up a pawn for a parts machine, but it seems very unlikely I'm going to even find a N3DS XL anywhere in the area for that given they've only been out for 10 days in my region.

Avalynn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because for the first year, baring a hinge failure, Big N is on the hook to fix it. Second point... there don't appear to be any spare parts at present. I could get replacement parts all day long for the older units but none at present for the new ones. I suppose I could hit up a pawn for a parts machine, but it seems very unlikely I'm going to even find a N3DS XL anywhere in the area for that given they've only been out for 10 days in my region.

Well if anything you can open it up, take a could reads, and then tape off the wires inside if you don't plan to write back to it for a while. When the time comes, if you need to downgrade then open it again, but the wires will be all there waiting for you already, so no need to take anything else off but the back case. Preform your downgrade and close it up again, having an external port isn't always necessary just nice to have.

Myria

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there someone I could pay to mod a brand new New 3DS XL for me? I'd like to capture the NAND image from before being turned on for the first time so I can do a true "factory reset", so to speak.

Melissa

Avalynn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there someone I could pay to mod a brand new New 3DS XL for me? I'd like to capture the NAND image from before being turned on for the first time so I can do a true "factory reset", so to speak.

Melissa

Please check your PMs

ophbalance

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where are folks picking up the connector bits in North America? I think my present hard mod on the older 3DS XL is using a 4 pin PC header (like what you'd see on a sound card) that my co-worker had laying about. I'd need something similar so I can just keep using the same SD card that we cobbled together on both systems. He has the benefit of having roughly several thousand little bits and pieces that have been collected over the last several decades, but I sadly cannot say the same ;).

sdcard_small.jpg

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where are folks picking up the connector bits in North America? I think my present hard mod on the older 3DS XL is using a 4 pin PC header (like what you'd see on a sound card) that my co-worker had laying about. I'd need something similar so I can just keep using the same SD card that we cobbled together on both systems. He has the benefit of having roughly several thousand little bits and pieces that have been collected over the last several decades, but I sadly cannot say the same ;).

Why not just ask him for another? Those things are probably pennies and bought only in bulk. You can try adafruit.com, they have a lot of oddball stuff like that albeit more expensive than potentially finding them by another means.

Avalynn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get a lot of parts and connectors from some of the large electronics distributors such as,
Digikey, Newark, Mouser, Jameco and even some smaller ones like dipmicro or even ebay/amazon if I must. Some other ones I know of but have never ordered from, Arrow and FutureElectonics.
Edit: I guess I forgot some of the smaller ones that do maker stuff such as adafruit and sparkfun. Good stuff but their prices are a bit higher compared to the larger chains. But both are good as a learning resource as well.

Digikey can be a bit daunting to traverse but if you know what you are looking for they have a great selection, Newark and mouser are easier and each have a very wide variety of things. Jameco is a bit on the smaller side of the supply chain but they have stuff as well. Dipmicro isn't bad and good on prices, I assume a lot of what they get is just like the stuff on ebay but a tiny bit better quality controlled by customer feedback.

This is an example of of a board to board connector I like to use from Newark.

ophbalance

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not just ask him for another? Those things are probably pennies and bought only in bulk. You can try adafruit.com, they have a lot of oddball stuff like that albeit more expensive than potentially finding them by another means.

Honest answer? Because I'm an impatient bastard that won't see him again until Tuesday, weather permitting, and wanted to track it down for myself. I'll have a look through the sites provided. Much thanks!

Avalynn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This should have been posted here;
http://gbatemp.net/forums/3ds-flashcards-custom-firmwares.201/

There is a specific section for you guys.

Pip'
Eh I wasn't sure where to post it really but this is more about hardware then anything. Not flashcarts or custom firmware in my opinion, while there is a some software in use the whole thread is about finding out the specific points on the motherboard to perform a eMMC backup.

If a mod thinks that this is in the wrong section then please adjust it accordingly, thank you! :lol:

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
Eh I wasn't sure where to post it really but this is more about hardware then anything. Not flashcarts or custom firmware in my opinion, while there is a some software in use the whole thread is about finding out the specific points on the motherboard to perform a eMMC backup.

If a mod thinks that this is in the wrong section then please adjust it accordingly, thank you! :lol:
Don't worry, I am just trolling you.

Pip'

Avalynn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's on the first post but the one I used was just conveniently on the opposite side over here.
usabegnd-jpg.15698

There are a lot of GND points if you need to know where another one poke around with a multimeter to anywhere on the metal shielding and fish around, the board uses a ground pore plane.

Reactions: zeruel85

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3
    Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I promise to come back and take her back home with me.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    halllo
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: hello