PS1/2 My PlayStation is moded, but wont read some games?!

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
(I made a thread about my mod, check it out.)

I burned games using same method, same discs (Alcohol 120%, RAW DAO, buffer, 42X, PlayStation type)
But only two games work, and those are Crash 3 in 1 and R-Type Delta... others just go to Playstation logo and thats it! Whats the deal?! games work on emulator!

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Burn a 4/8x on proper discs like Taiyo Yuden/Verbatim.

However, suprisingly, nobody has mentioned the "laser" yet. It's not always down to the discs, as the pot will sometimes need a tweak and in most cases, need replacing at some point.

The console is over 20 years old and the lasers don't last.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan

However, suprisingly, nobody has mentioned the "laser" yet. It's not always down to the discs, as the pot will sometimes need a tweak and in most cases, need replacing at some point.

The console is over 20 years old and the lasers don't last.

If its used that much at all. idk that.
My burner only burns at minimum speed of 16X and i burned those two games that work at 48X and 16X and they load every time perfectly!
Laser is perfect judging by audio CD's and that 2 burned games that work.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Burn them slower! In A120 make sure you select PS2 format disc. Or use Clone CD / DVD. I used that back in the day for ps1 & ps2 discs
Ill try that software but i dont feel it would make difference. But why to set to PS2 when im burning PSX game?

If your drive can burn 1-2x, you won't get choppy audio either.

I didnt know that, but its strange because today CD's and burners are by some logic, adapted to that speed so its not like before where CD's are not designed to be burned at high speed.

Last edited by Metoroid0,

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gave up on burning CDs for my chipped PS1 and having to adjust the POT depending on which disc brand, burner, and speed I used at the time.

I ended up using a CFW PS3 instead. using PS1 bin/cue images is so much better and has zero chance of read errors as long as the image itself was made from a properly working disc.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I gave up on burning CDs for my chipped PS1 and having to adjust the POT depending on which disc brand, burner, and speed I used at the time.

I ended up using a CFW PS3 instead. using PS1 bin/cue images is so much better and has zero chance of read errors as long as the image itself was made from a properly working disc.
I use bin/cue and Verbatim silver discs.
What is POT?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If its used that much at all. idk that.
My burner only burns at minimum speed of 16X and i burned those two games that work at 48X and 16X and they load every time perfectly!
Laser is perfect judging by audio CD's and that 2 burned games that work.

Ill try that software but i dont feel it would make difference. But why to set to PS2 when im burning PSX game?

I didnt know that, but its strange because today CD's and burners are by some logic, adapted to that speed so its not like before where CD's are not designed to be burned at high speed.
48x sounds like CD speeds. DVDs are measured by a different standard and I haven't heard of any going as high as 48x yet. 16x sounds plausible for DVDs however.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
The physics haven't changed. For PS1 games at least, slower will always be better.
I see..ill try to find some older SATA cd burner that can write at minimum of 1X

POT is short for potentiometer
in this case, I am referring to the Laser POT
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/PlayStation+SCPH-5501+Laser+Trimpot+Adjustment/47857
Oh that, i did that with my Dreamcast (old one) and i had to change the lase..but i guess i owerdid it... Will this damage my laser? But other two burned games at 42 and 16X speed works from the start..as soon as i hit power they boot, no problem, never, so it cant be laser or write speed judging by that...

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Burn them slower!
The physics haven't changed. For PS1 games at least, slower will always be better.
I see..ill try to find some older SATA cd burner that can write at minimum of 1X
I know this thread is kinda old, but I've just noticed it. I tried burning games at different speeds and I've found out that ones burned at 24x work WAY better than those at 4-8x. Less stuttering in FMVs, usually.

Don't trust everything you read on the internets, guys. Try for yourself and you'll see the results ;)

Reactions: BORTZ

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this thread is kinda old, but I've just noticed it. I tried burning games at different speeds and I've found out that ones burned at 24x work WAY better than those at 4-8x. Less stuttering in FMVs, usually.

Wow, really? 24x always made my audio hop and sometimes cut out which was almost completely avoided when I would burn at 1x (when I was able to).
I wonder if recordable optic media has improved in the decade since I last burned one, or if modern burners are now more effective at high speeds. Perhaps both?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wow, really? 24x always made my audio hop and sometimes cut out which was almost completely avoided when I would burn at 1x (when I was able to).
I wonder if recordable optic media has improved in the decade since I last burned one, or if modern burners are now more effective at high speeds. Perhaps both?
Probably both, yeah. I suppose today's burners and media are tuned and made for for higher speeds.

ned

Trophies
XP
Country
Some games use libcrypt protection you'll need to use ppf patches on those as i'm not sure any chips supported subchannel data.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Pretty sure that the model of the Playstation dictates which games won't run without being patched. My chipped PS is a launch model and boots everything I throw at it without being patched, as I believe they didn't have the lockouts they introduced in later revisions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs