My own nerdy nummies - homemade sugar cookies!

astrangeone

OP
Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
You know you are a nerd when you picked up some cookie cutters in the shape of Pokemon and Star Wars characters for use in bento. This Christmas, I made sugar cookies with them!

63603_10200325259122600_343060478_n.jpg

388230_10200325259722615_668618856_n.jpg

The recipe if you are interested:
Ingredients:
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt (leave out if using salted butter)
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (use the gourmet stuff - the normal stuff has corn syrup in it!)

1) Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt, set aside.
2) Cream (mix until incorporated) sugar and butter, add eggs and vanilla and mix 'til fluffy. Gradually add flour a little at a time, until completely finished. Divide dough in half, flattening into disks. Wrap in plastic or bags, and toss into the fridge. (Overnight is best, but an hour can be good too!)
3) Heat oven for 350F. Roll out dough between parchment paper and cut out shapes. The thinner the shapes, the crunchier they get. (The cutting out is interesting, and you can use these cutters that have an impression plate in them for details.)
4) Toss those cookies onto a silicone mat or cover a cookie sheet with more parchment paper. Toss the pan into the fridge for about 15 minutes for more definition and details to show up later.
5) Bake at 350F for about 10-15 minutes and check on them if they are brown around the edges. (I actually did mine in a toaster oven - still very successful - also, they get much more brown on the bottom.)

Recipe courtesy of: yoyomax12 on youtube!

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
They look great :)
I made sugar cookies a couple of times but mine don't hold their shape that well (I think there's more butter in them) so I never experimented with cookie cutters.
On one hand, I would like to make shaped cookies, but on the other hand, butter :unsure:

astrangeone

OP
Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
They look great :)
I made sugar cookies a couple of times but mine don't hold their shape that well (I think there's more butter in them) so I never experimented with cookie cutters.
On one hand, I would like to make shaped cookies, but on the other hand, butter :unsure:

These were a worry because they used extra flour, they were pretty stiff coming out of the bowl. (Also, I don't use electric equipment to mix, and it took too much damn time to do so!)

I'm going to try a recipe that doesn't involve eggs next time - just flour, butter, water and vanilla.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
those look delicious. The pikachu looks so adorable I'd never be able to eat him though.

I tend to use less flour than a recipe asks for and add corn starch for moulding purposes. I also whip my butter though to ensure optimal use.

When I'm feeling lazy though, I just grab a box of cake mix, 2 eggs, and half a cup of oil, mix it together and cook it for aboot 8-10 mins at 325F. they turn out surprisingly moist and delicious. When I did a placement at a group home, the clients loved making them too. it literally takes 20 minutes to go from nothing to eating these things.

astrangeone

OP
Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
those look delicious. The pikachu looks so adorable I'd never be able to eat him though.

I tend to use less flour than a recipe asks for and add corn starch for moulding purposes. I also whip my butter though to ensure optimal use.

When I'm feeling lazy though, I just grab a box of cake mix, 2 eggs, and half a cup of oil, mix it together and cook it for aboot 8-10 mins at 325F. they turn out surprisingly moist and delicious. When I did a placement at a group home, the clients loved making them too. it literally takes 20 minutes to go from nothing to eating these things.

Yeah, I remember doing that with cake mix - I should do that at my placement this year. It's kind of fun. :)

Reactions: J-Machine

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm often cooking/baking cakes and biscuits.
I even thought of making a blog about cakes recipes, with pictures (and videos?), but the blog section is not back yet.

Thanks for sharing this one :)

I'm not familiar at all with American cooking recipes.
I don't know how big or how much a "cup" weights, and I find it strange to use "tsp" (tea spoon, right?) to weight recipes.
In France, you don't need to weight the baking powder as they are conditioned by "Sachet" (11g = 0lb 0.38801oz), and we usually use one fully for cakes.

when doing my sand biscuits (shortbread cookies?), I don't use baking power at all, and do not put them on the fridge.
I should try with some baking power, they might become spongier, right?

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I even thought of making a blog about cakes recipes, with pictures (and videos?), but the blog section is not back yet.

I don't know how big or how much a "cup" weights, and I find it strange to use "tsp" (tea spoon, right?) to weight recipes.
In France, you don't need to weight the baking powder as they are conditioned by "Sachet" (11g = 0lb 0.38801oz), and we usually use one fully for cakes.

when doing my sand biscuits (shortbread cookies?), I don't use baking power at all, and do not put them on the fridge.
http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/convert/measurements.html this site should help you in measurement conversion when dealing with american recipes.

Baking is my preferred method of stress relief. not only can I take my mind off things and stave away my need to eat when stressed but when I'm done baking I have an excuse to chum it up with friends (most of them get high but since I don't do drugs I bring the munchies lol)

astrangeone

OP
Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada

I tend to use the Internet for my recipes and ideas on food, so I'm kind of used to the metric and the imperial measurements. I love cooking although, and I don't usually bake - hence why these sugar cookies are a rarity for me.

It's better to use weight for baking, as baking requires precision. (I'm lazy, and also, I don't have access to many things in the kitchen.)

What's your recipe for sand biscuits? They sound interesting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)