OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
nicklausw.github.io
XP
Country
United States
So, I'm aware that there is a program with a similar title, and yes, I will take ideas for a more...unique name.

Anyway, this is a small project that I've started getting into some. The title says it all, pretty much I'm making a Gameboy Game Maker. You will have control over: Images, Sounds, Scenes, Objects, and Scripts. The objects are just an experiment, though; chances are the Gameboy processor may or may not be able to handle that.

Anyway, here's a few snapshots of what I have going on. Suggestions for what you would want?

(The programming language I plan for you to use is assembly, unless somebody has a good way of using GBDK).

Here's a few snappies for you to gaze (they aren't cropped very well).

Main form:
snappy1_by_homsar47-d75571l.png

New Item Form:
snappietwo_by_homsar47-d74djz9.png

Image form (yes, I will improve it):
snappiethree_by_homsar47-d74djzk.png

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
Will the resulting games run on most Gameboy flash carts, or does it use a lot of memory that isn't built in to many flash carts?

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
I've been trying to learn how gameboy carts work, and it seems that some makers have been adding some kind of chip inside the cart itself to give the game more RAM (I think), so if the game needs a lot then they add a lot to the cart itself. A game with a lot of those chips in it would need a flash cart with a lot of chips in it too. I'm just wondering if this editor will let you choose how much of this extra ram is needed by the cart.

I don't really know what I'm talking about though, I might mean ROM instead of RAM. I should just link to the page I read actually

http://gbdev.gg8.se/wiki/articles/Memory_Bank_Controllers

Memory bank controllers.

EDIT: How are you making stuff like this at 13 :O

homsar47

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
nicklausw.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Hehe, is my age that much of a shocker? :P I just wanted to learn assembly.

Anyway, I'll look into the "extra chips" and stuff, but you have the ability to choose how much RAM the game will use. Same with ROM. Pretty much any option the program gives you for these will be safe and not need something the Gameboy wouldn't support without extra memory.

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
When I was 13 I imagined that I could play Ocarina of Time on my SNES if Nintendo published it across a dozen or so SNES carts.

homsar47

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
nicklausw.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Another update: the script form is nearly done. All I need is a good ScintillaNET syntax highlighter for Z80. Prolly have to make that one myself.

With that, I've contacted James Garner (creator of DS Game Maker) about saving files, and he gave me an entirely different concept to work with. Now I have gotten the scripts to save and load themselves back, so thanks to him.

Erm...anyone want to help me make the program look sharp, or as I would credit you, be the "Art Ninja"?

homsar47

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
nicklausw.github.io
XP
Country
United States
This looks very promising. Will surely give this a spin when it comes out :>

Why thank you, though the release may be a while from now. I wasn't too into what GBDK offered, and so decided to try and make a C compiler on my own. It's a little wild, though to anyone who wants to help out, here ya go: https://github.com/NicklausW/CCCC

The stuff about getting it onto other consoles is just me daydreaming. Yes, I know it's outlandish, but still.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.