Hacking Question My little brother is dumb. How to factory reset a switch without the parental code. On 3.0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Honestly making up potential stories of what might have happened is a bit useless we don't know the whole story it could just as easily been some dirty creep was trying to attract a kid to get in his van and the kid ran off with the switch, I will leave the moral dilemma to the OP, but the actual question ignoring the is it/isn't it stolen debate is can you format a switch if you don't know the parental pin code, and I guess you can't now at least we know so even if someone forget their pin themselves that can't format the system, hopefully Nintendo implements a killswitch (badumtssshhh) for stolen switch consoles similar to icloud so the switch doesnt become a theives target as a expensive device with zero lockdown capabilities unlike mobile phones

That said I still don't have a switch yet and haven't looked too far into it's security features so maybe this already happens as long as a NNID is linked with any luck

Last edited by gamesquest1,

alepman90

Trophies
XP
Country
Back in my day thieves got their hands cut,now they're too afraid calling Nintendo to unlock their stolen systems ...smh

David456

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, just wanted to post an update since the issue got resolved. Monday morning my brother called a 3rd party company that manages support for Nintendo in my country and the guy just asked for the inquiry number and gave him a master key. No questions asked. Before that I tried calling Nintendo UK and they asked a lot of questions, name, adress etc. But in the end couldn't help me because I'm not from the UK.

I'm really sorry for the original owner of the console, I've had my PSP stolen back in the day when I forgot it at class and it sucks. But my brother just got his first money for a summer job he did last month and I'm obviously not about to go to the police or something like that.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Reactions: The Real Jdbye
S

Saiyan Lusitano

WTF. How can you be okay owning a stolen console? That could not only trace back to the original owner but also have him/her arrest you for using stolen property.

Return it or give it to the police.

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was around 250 dollars while new one here costs about 450.

You paid 250 for a stolen Switch with no dock or charger? You didn't even try to negotiate on the price did you? Don't get me wrong, you shouldn't have bought stolen property in the first place.

When you go to buy your first car you tell the dealer that you'll pay sticker price and not a penny more.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dude it's stolen so give it to the pigs i mean er police anyways any smart person would take it to them unless your the one who stole it and made a bogus story of buying it on ebay

Tsubakiandou

Mystery member
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You paid 250 for a stolen Switch with no dock or charger? You didn't even try to negotiate on the price did you? Don't get me wrong, you shouldn't have bought stolen property in the first place.

When you go to buy your first car you tell the dealer that you'll pay sticker price and not a penny more.
no his brother is who buy it :creep:

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I was in high school, I bought an N64 with Super Mario 64 for $60 from some shady looking thief or fence. This was right after the console came out. I didn't ask any questions, but assumed the obvious and am not proud of it now, but someone else would have bought it otherwise with no chance of the original owner ever getting it back. These things happen, unfortunately.

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I was in high school, I bought an N64 with Super Mario 64 for $60 from some shady looking thief or fence. This was right after the console came out. I didn't ask any questions, but assumed the obvious and am not proud of it now, but someone else would have bought it otherwise with no chance of the original owner ever getting it back. These things happen, unfortunately.

At least you got a good deal. The OP paid $250 for a hot, Switch with no accessories (Zelda game card doesn't make up for that) when he could have gotten the full retail package for $300 brand new. It might not be available now but they weren't exactly difficult to get at launch and they will be back in stores in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo