Gaming My brand new memory card has 2.5 - 3 GB LESS space then my old 64 GB HOW?

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is the email I got from playasia. Now i know memory cards are supposed to be 60 GB as i have one right here. Now that doesnt make any sense if this was normal. 3GB for system update? updates are 127 MB.. also it is not listed on their website this "change" if this is normal. which is misleading imo.
Yes it's only 5% space. but i paid jackpot for this. frankly im already angry @ sony for them asking this price. so this is just one drop over the bucket so to say.

"Please be aware that the actual size of memory are less, this is because
the Vita system needs to take up more reserved space than before. It also
has to do with the system update.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any other concern."

Someone on reddit says:
that's what the breakboard hopes to achieve
that breakboard is hoped to allow access to the memory card partition, or at least a way to tap into the memory card port and figure out what happens there
plane dp twitter?
No idea who is working on this...

Reactions: retrofan_k

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The XBox One comes with a 500GB hard drive, but you only get access to 369GB - the rest is reserved for the system. Is the system software 131GB? Of course not. But that's how much Microsoft chose to reserve.

The discrepency with the Vita is going to be partially due the the difference between 1000 and 1024 when determining the true size of a 'byte', and partially because Sony played it safe regarding how much to reserve for the system.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Quit moaning, it's normal because you never get the advertised space available on HDD's or any another other storage device, due to computer calculations and how the space is mapped out. Any other discrepancies would be a fake card, as they are spoofed to show higher capacity than what the actual card holds.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'd love to see a part 3 the conclusion :D

Be careful, might be a part 4 (Memory Card Revenge)

Last edited by retrofan_k,

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Quit moaning, it's normal because you never get the advertised space available on HDD's or any another other storage device, due to computer calculations and how the space is mapped out. Any other discrepancies would be a fake card, as they are spoofed to show higher capacity than what the actual card holds.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------
Be careful, might be a part 4 (Memory Card Revenge)

Yes its normal for it to be 60 GB instead of 64 Gb i understand this. in that your explaination is very right. BUT. Any lower then this. is theft IMO. or a fault..

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Not correct the actual math would be 59.6 or close to 60 GiB> not 57. why else do i have another memory card that displays 60 GB
Actually I made a mistake - left out a 1000.
The "marketing" size measurment now is much closer to 57 GBs.
I would attribute the missing GB to proprietary Sony formatting most likely.

marketing:
1000*1000*1000*1000*64 = ~58 GBs

computer science:
1024*1024*1024*1024*64 = 64 GBs

that's the tl;dr

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Actually I made a mistake - left out a 1000.
The "marketing" size measurment now is much closer to 57 GBs.
I would attribute the missing GB to proprietary Sony formatting most likely.

Well i can see with the actual math it being lower. but again how is my other memory card having 60 GB?
and from other guys on reddit they made calculcations at 59.6 gib not 57 gib..

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
why else do i have another memory card that displays 60 GB
i am also curious about this, since the first post he said the older card got 3 more gb than the new one
3 gb is a lot.. even if it's just a percentage of the total, it's a lot..
if the cards are the same brand and formatted in the same conditions (same cluster size) they should have almost the same ammount of space
i can perfectly understand a difference up to 500 MB but more than that there is some kind off bullshit there

Reactions: Chrisssj2

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i am also curious about this, since the first post he said the older card got 3 more gb than the new one
3 gb is a lot.. even if it's just a percentage of the total, it's a lot..
if the cards are the same brand and formatted in the same conditions (same cluster size) they should have almost the same ammount of space
i can perfectly understand a difference up to 500 MB but more than that there is some kind off bullshit there
exactly i agree! They arre from sony and both from playasia. so i smell bullshit here too..

Deleted member 361703

GBATemp OldFag
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
FKING PIECE OF CRAP SOFTWARE.
im SO ANGRY. i backup my memory card. and formatted memory card because i thought i could restore it. now i get error C2-12858-4 @ restoring. WTF it only backed up 4 GB. eventhough i remember it saying backup succesfull 30gb!

Did with QCMA

So yeah.. im hoping playasia will refund me money or send another or something
sounds like a faulty card. not as bad as a 64 gb card only coming up as an 8gb but that sounds like a card failure. Try amazon as most people i know have spotty experiences with playasia outside of just ordering the games

geishroy

Suspended
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds like a faulty card. not as bad as a 64 gb card only coming up as an 8gb but that sounds like a card failure. Try amazon as most people i know have spotty experiences with playasia outside of just ordering the games

Or he's just lying his ass off about either of them.

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So sony emails me to put the card into an SD card slot "because it will fit" he/she says. and or try a camcorder.

FKing retards wtf and this is supposed to help me?

Chrisssj2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This was a common issue with a couple early batches of 64GB cards. You say you got it from Playasia, I suggest you simply tell them it's corrupted and ask for a replacement.

Ah really? lol how did i get an early batch it seems? or the problem returned in other batch..

I did ask them for a replacement. this is a fault of theirs. which means i will have to go 8 weeks without memory card if i sent it back (4 weeks to confirm when they have the memory card, and then send one back to me ) this is unacceptable! So i proposed as this is their mistake to send a replacement first, so i wont have to go without memory card. yet to wait response.

Playasia last email said. We must contact Sony please be patient. I dont think they have any idea what they are doing... they also referred to me to some random forums which proved nothing, and saying it must differs per console.. (which is untrue. since i have 2 vita's to test on with 2 memory cards. so this is ruled out.
They are being difficult so far.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)