Homebrew Multitasking in 3ds possible in the future?

netovsk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I wonder if it will be possible in the future to have the 3ds use the arm9 processor to run an application in background? For instance, a music player in the background while you play a game. And if it is theoretically possible, what would be necessary?

Thanks in advance and I'm sorry if the question was noobish and didn't deserve a thread on its own.

thunderjackl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It may be possible in the future but you would have have to Completely install a new Kernal and OS. Idk know if it would be necessary but it would be cool to run Android 7.1 on my 3ds lol

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Yes, it's possible, when Nintendo makes 3 gen 3ds with more faster cpu and 8gb ram
you don't need that much RAM to multitask. my grandma's PC with 750M RAM multitasks fine on WinXP.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
I'd like to go from ds mode to system settings to change the brightness. The dsi had it right with select&volUP/DOWN.
you can change the brightness in DS mode. just press HOME, and on the "do you want to return to the HOME menu?" dialogue, hold Start, and press the D-Up and D-Down buttons to control the brightness.

Izual Urashima

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Yes, it's possible, when Nintendo makes 3 gen 3ds with more faster cpu and 8gb ram

This raises another, more interesting question - Is swap memory possible on the 3DS, assuming you're on CFW ? This alone could break wide every N3DS exclusivity (due to the added RAM allowing them to run), while making every 3DS game running better due to more RAM, even though losing the same amount of memory on your SD card could be a problem to some. It could also help emulators.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
It may be possible in the future but you would have have to Completely install a new Kernal and OS. Idk know if it would be necessary but it would be cool to run Android 7.1 on my 3ds lol

*kernel . I see "kernal" way too often around here. It's not kernal. It's kernel.

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This raises another, more interesting question - Is swap memory possible on the 3DS, assuming you're on CFW ? This alone could break wide every N3DS exclusivity (due to the added RAM allowing them to run), while making every 3DS game running better due to more RAM, even though losing the same amount of memory on your SD card could be a problem to some. It could also help emulators.
"Break exclusivity" i dont think there were any N3DS titles that soly was exclusive due to ram, i belive they all used the fact of the faster CPU and added L2 Cache.

Tenshi_Okami

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico

The most a 3DS would run is something like Android Gingerbread (2.3.6) or ICS (4.0) and it would lag a lot

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.