Haloman800

a real gril
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll post the issue then the backstory:

When I try to choose a game, I get "Read Card Error", if I boot MT-Mode or Classic mode I get a black screen indefinitely.

Backstory:
My nephew was playing my 3DS, it was in MT-Card mode, and he accepted an OTA update. I'm scared to factory reset as idk if it will make it update.

I have a Gateway 3DS and it still works.

Haloman800

a real gril
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doing this now, will report back.

Yes it does, for playing legit cards that use Wi-Fi.

Edit: Was able to choose game from MT-Card menu (re-formatted, somehow it got on exFAT and MT-Card only takes FAT32. Used EASEUS Partition Manager to format a 64GB MicroSD to FAT32).

Still trying to get past a black screen after selecting a game.

I formatted 3DS, SD Card & MicroSD card. Still boots to black screen. Tested on 2 3DS XL's (4.4 and 4.5). I can only hope whenever MT-Card releases an update, it fixes whatever's wrong with my card.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Does Mt have emunand? If so emunand might of been updated to 8.x, which would cause the back screen, if so does Mt have a option to re-setup emunand?, but remember to backup your Sd card contents first

Reactions: Haloman800

Haloman800

a real gril
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does Mt have emunand? If so emunand might of beennupdated to 8.x which would cause the back screen, if you does Mt have a option to set up emunand, if sdo that, but remeber to backup your Sd card contents first

Yes! Thank you. Can't believe I overlooked this.

gibbousmoon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got this same issue, and the cause is the same, because it just started happening after I setup emunand. Do you know how to fix it?

gibbousmoon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks. I managed to do that. Then I looked into other ways to get my retail cartridge (Mario Golf) working without losing my 4.4J firmware.

I saw this: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3DS_hacking_faq#How_do_I_update_my_EmuNAND.3F

And tried updating via cartridge (while emunand was activated--I triple checked in the system settings). Now I'm at 7.1.0-0J OFW...

CRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAP

Any way to get that misinformation corrected, so that others don't ruin their 3DS's capabilities like I just did?

Edit: Never mind, I edited the wiki myself.

"You're welcome" to whomever comes afterward and is saved from making this mistake, and a great big "F+++ YOU" to the person who wrote on the wiki that this works "only if you want to stay offline and play your retail game with the required System version."

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
That method does indeed work with gateway 2.0 b1, did you make sure you had booted into emunand before attempting it.....or maybe it simply doesn't work with gateway

Also, just for the record mario gold should of just worked in classic mode(if Mt has that feature) you shouldn't of even needed a updated emunand

Ohhhhh I just reread your post...tut did you go to system settings then.exit out to update?

That always kicks you out of emunand, you would of been better making different folders on emunand and sys nand so you could see.what nand you where in from the home screen

gibbousmoon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Like I said, I triple-checked. The firmware was preceded by the code showing MT's emunand was active.

Consider this confirmation that updating emunand via the cartridge will overwrite your system nand.

It was Mario Golf World Tour, and required FW 7.1.

gibbousmoon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ohhhhh I just reread your post...tut did you go to system settings then.exit out to update?

That always kicks you out of emunand, you would of been better making different folders on emunand and sys nand so you could see.what nand you where in from the home screen

Yes, that's what I did. How else would I access the retail cartridge to get the update?

Edit: Sorry, this post sounds snappy and irritated, which wasn't my intended tone. It's actually a genuine question.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
If you see Mt3d when you exit you will be kicked out of emunand, that screen was intended for people updating from the system settings

Basically if you plan to use the cart update method you Do Not enter system settings, you need to set up something different on the homescreen to tell

Basically every time you enter system settings, when you exit you will be kicked back to sysnand as the console does a soft reset

gibbousmoon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That's very interesting information, and good to know. Thanks.

Well, this is an excuse to upgrade to an XL, anyhow. But I recently bought one new for a friend's birthday, and it had a firmware of 7+ on it (6+?), so it's going to be tricky finding one with the right FW version. Especially since I live in Japan and most of the information on the web about what FW comes in what retail packaging applies to the U.S. market (and occasionally Europe). Japanese people don't talk about it so much, even on all-Japanese websites (that I could find).

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
You actually have a 4.x nand backup on your Sd card, seeing as you didn't update emunand, your current emunand will be a 4.x backup if you extract it with emunandtool.... You might already have a backup anyway, but if not extracting your emunand will mean you could find someone to do the hardmod and downgrade your 3ds back to 4.x

gibbousmoon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have it on my PC as well. Creating a backup of my NAND (and then backing up the backup) was the first thing I did.

That said, what information I can find on the net indicates that that alone is not enough to downgrade your 3DS without some significant soldering skills, skills I don't have. But thanks for the idea. :)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Well i know that some people offer the hard mod service, I do in the uk, hundshamer in the Us, I don't know anyone in Japan who does, but you could have a look around for someone who could do it for you, if not you might even be able to sell it as a 4.x console in need of downgrading, I'm sure someone who can.solder might pick it up rather than trying to hunt down an overpriced 4.x console

Hope you get it sorted.... And it always pays to just ask for more info in future before trying any uncommon methods for updating and stuff, you could even ask in mobile phone repair shops if they would do the hard mod for you, it's not that hard for someone with solving experience, usually phone repair shops have someone who would be able to do the mod

gibbousmoon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, I learned my lesson. Also placed a link in the wiki to this page, so at least no one else will make the same mistake I did. My mistake was trusting the wiki too much and not digging deeper to confirm.

How much do you guys charge? Also, any idea how much shipping costs to Japan? If there-and-back shipping + hard mod charge comes close to US$100, then I may as well pay a little more and buy an LL 3DS.

MGS1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gibbousmoon

Just an FYI, I just bought a virtually brand new (the guy turned it on once and didn't touch the game at all) Super Robot Taisen UX 3DS LL and it has firmware 4.5 on it.

I know that info on Japanese firmware on consoles is sparse, so I just wanted to mention this.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Well i was thinking once you add international postage into the mix it starts adding up fast, especially when.you add tracking and stuff too, best bet would be trying to find someone local.....if there is any of those backstreet phone/console repair shop type setups ask in there, usually those kinds of places will take on any sort of work as long as you show them the installation instructions and just explain it's only 4 wires, they wouldn't even need to do a permanent mod, just attach the wires downgrade and remove them afterwards, although a permanent mod means you will always be able to recover from accidental updates etc
If all else fails you might find that it's better to just sell the console to someone who will just downgrade it for themselves to save. On 2 way postage....but really I would just ask around.local repair shops first :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.