Homebrew MPlayer port for Wii released ;)

nIxx

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
On Wiibrew rOn have a nice working port of Mplayer released (for everyone that can´t wait for Miidia
biggrin.gif
)
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_apps/MPlayerWii

thchang

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i am waiting for mplayer that has rmvb codec playback
the current one just won't be able to play, no video, only sound

jinxvorheeze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thchang said:

Good luck on the wait. Open source projects don't usually steal source from other companies. Which is why it uses Xvid and not DivX. Unless someone codes an open source Real Player Codec and it is seen by the mplayer team to not be an infringement on copyright laws then you might wanna find a newer container to use. There are lots of converters for RMVB to AVI or MPEG.

About RealVideo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realvideo

deadrabbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
jinxvorheeze said:
thchang said:

Good luck on the wait. Open source projects don't usually steal source from other companies. Which is why it uses Xvid and not DivX. Unless someone codes an open source Real Player Codec and it is seen by the mplayer team to not be an infringement on copyright laws then you might wanna find a newer container to use. There are lots of converters for RMVB to AVI or MPEG.

XBMC plays rmvb perfectly

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
deadrabbit said:
jinxvorheeze said:
thchang said:

and is not wii-based ;p

JimmyBobAlex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
-v0.01 (07/05/08):
Initial release. Full of bugs, audio sync code is awful and will probably crash often.
Also, there's room for lots of speed improvements.

Seems promising, I'll check it out after some updates.

matriculated

Trophies
Website
www.nubecoder.com
XP
Country
Canada
manias said:
deadrabbit said:
jinxvorheeze said:
thchang said:

and is not wii-based ;p

I think he's trying to point out that since XBMC is MPlayer based, the Wii version should have the same abilities. I know for MPlayer Windows and Linux it's just a matter of having the right dll's/libraries for Real video playback.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Media Player Classic has RealMedia and Quicktime support, so the only reason I could see for Mplayer not having it is that they're both horrible container formats.

killplaystation

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
teq said:
Media Player Classic has RealMedia and Quicktime support, so the only reason I could see for Mplayer not having it is that they're both horrible container formats.
they are different apps. Mplayer is a linux app, media player classic is a windows app. They are not one in the same at all

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/info.html

QUOTE said:
Supported Input Formats

* (S)VCD (Super Video CD)
* CDRwin's .bin image file
* DVD, including encrypted DVD
* MPEG-1/2 (ES/PS/PES/VOB)
* RIFF AVI file format
* ASF/WMV/WMA format
* QT/MOV/MP4 format
* RealAudio/RealVideo format
* Ogg/OGM files
* Matroska
* NUT
* NSV (Nullsoft Streaming Video)
* VIVO format
* FLI format
* NuppelVideo format
* yuv4mpeg format
* FILM (.cpk) format
* RoQ format
* PVA format
* streaming via HTTP/FTP, RTP/RTSP, MMS/MMST, MPST, SDP
* TV grabbing

some of the file formats require precompiled binary codecs as explained here
QUOTEOur binary codec packages add support for codecs that are not yet implemented natively, like newer RealVideo variants and a lot of uncommon formats. Note that they are not necessary to play most common formats like DVDs, MPEG-1/2/4, etc. See the codec status table for the daily-generated list of currently supported codecs.

anyway, the Wii port is still on early stage and the number of supported format will probably increase

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
killplaystation said:
teq said:
they are different apps. Mplayer is a linux app, media player classic is a windows app. They are not one in the same at all

I know they're seperate applications.... I have both installed on my Windows based laptop...

My point was that if one open source application can add support for a proprietary codec, others can do the same.

st0nedpenguin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
teq said:

Pretty much nailed it for me.

The last thing I care about support for is Quicktime/Real, lord knows why anyone would even be using either anymore.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
App is very stable and nice, it plays my test mkv videos at original speed. one drawback though, the video quality is not good as mfe. Compression artifacts especially on non detailed parts of the video quite easily seen. Maybe a brightness issue. Now the stability and because of being direct port of mplayer this app promise a lot more than the other players available (or not yet available like wiimiidia)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: