Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Malc` said:
Hmm, I used 0.5 for months which loaded movies via SMB fine, 0.6 started delaying the process by "caching" before the video started and now 0.7 caches at the start and also buffers whenever i skip through the video using the up arrow.

0.5 was a lot more responsive without any buffering needed for me. Is this the same for anyone else?

nando said:
QUOTE(Malc` @ Jul 13 2009, 08:53 AM) Hmm, I used 0.5 for months which loaded movies via SMB fine, 0.6 started delaying the process by "caching" before the video started and now 0.7 caches at the start and also buffers whenever i skip through the video using the up arrow.

0.5 was a lot more responsive without any buffering needed for me. Is this the same for anyone else?

same for me. the seeking is very slow compared to before. and now after 50 mins or so of playtime, it'll keep rebuffering during the movie. overall it seem like it's gotten worse.

The same here...via smb On a regular 700mb .avi, It seems to take twice as long to load... rebuffers during movie, and any attempt to fast forward causes freeze... and rebuffering. Perodic lock up of the movie midway or so. I even seen these symptoms on a 178mb 30minute average quality .avi TV Show.

Went back to v.62... No problems... runs great... I have not jacked with the mplayer.conf settings ... they are default.

Any ideas ?

Just a thought... how dependent is this version (or any version) on the amount of memory left on the Wii... I'm sitting with about only 30 blocks left. Does Mplayer try to use any of these free blocks, or does it already have its allocation when it was installed?

What effect does increasing the mplayer.conf cache size have on the playback? Kind of like I said in the previous paragraph, if you increase the cache size... I've just noticed it takes longer to load, no increase in performance is seen. When you increase the cache size... where is it getting the additional memory from ?

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Fred-Bear said:
Just a thought... how dependent is this version (or any version) on the amount of memory left on the Wii... I'm sitting with about only 30 blocks left. Does Mplayer try to use any of these free blocks, or does it already have its allocation when it was installed?
MPlayer and most other homebrew applications don't use up any blocks on your wii, unless they are installed as channels. All necessary data is stored on SD/USB as that is removable memory and there wouldn't really be any significant benefit to storing that data on the nand.

If indeed you have a channel installed, the size of the channel will be reflected in data management.

Hope that helps
smile.gif

Fred-Bear

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yes it does, thank you. I was just wondering if there was something that I could do to the MPlayer app to increase its performance. Especially since I am seeing a drop in performance when upraded to v.7.

It also seems I see some people claim they have no issues playing HDef .avi's. (2gb + .avi Movies). With v.62, I see some choppyness... with v.7... its flat out freezes. And .mkvs are really bad. Even SDefinition clips stutter.

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
Trophies
Website
djdynamite.freeforums.org
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
finally got cios 202 installed using the offline method described here:
http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread....62838#post62838

i guess wifi does seem a little faster now, nothing really that noticeable though. ahh well, its installed now and doing no harm
heh, if you use smb allot, then you probably would notice it, maybe before it stopped mounting your smb shares, or just stopped streaming a file.

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
Trophies
Website
djdynamite.freeforums.org
XP
Country
very odd, also for those mentioning about buffering when seeking, little tip press A to pause for a moment and resume it will make the buffer cache in in the Background.
Shouldn't be getting freezes via smb, random stops, is your connection dropping badly? have you checked cache fill?

Fred-Bear

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If you mean "cache fill", the percent shown will the video is running by pressing the "1"... I have noticed... it seems to hoover around 75%.... And then when the video starts to go to hell... it starts dropping... down to a -1% when it freezes completly.

Again... I have seen this with nothing else on the wifi network. I am running v.62 now... And I do not have that problem on regular .avi's.

It's almost like its something on the way .7 deals with the cache. Because with a similiar quality .avi.. .7 takes longer to load than .62. ... and when trying to fastforward as well... .7 will freeze. Where as .62 would step right ahead and play ok.

Now I can get .62 to freeze by trying to load up a better quality (not h264) .avi.

That was a another question I had... was what is the highest bitrate .avi file have people been able to run on mplayer (primarily v.62) without seeing freezing?

0M39A

Trophies
XP
Country
UranusKiller said:
QUOTE said:
finally got cios 202 installed using the offline method described here:
http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread....62838#post62838

i guess wifi does seem a little faster now, nothing really that noticeable though. ahh well, its installed now and doing no harm
heh, if you use smb allot, then you probably would notice it, maybe before it stopped mounting your smb shares, or just stopped streaming a file.

i do use smb on the wii a lot. nearly daily. the biggest thing i really noticed was browsing directories is heaps faster now. caching doesnt seem that much better with 202 that i can notice. that said, im not a fan of the new caching method at all, 0.62 was heaps quicker and i never got any pauses or stuttering with it, but i have very good wifi signal.

to totally change the topic now, hows the new gui development going, if you dont mind me asking (im sure you get asked this all the time, so sorry to annoy)

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went from 0.7 to 0.62 and my DVD movies (as far as I can see...(I played Ghostbusters and Gremlins to the end) and they do not freeze...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end