Hooya

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know if the Wii supports playback of Divx movies? I assume not but you never know. I wonder if movies burnt to CD or DVD will play.

If not (I think not) has anyone heard rumors if the console ever will be able to play them?

What about the streaming services I've heard about? Are any getting particularly good yet?

If this has been covered completely in another thread please point me in the right direction, but I hadn't seen anything comprehensive.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for going off topic but has there ever been a homebrew device that watches AVIs on the PSP without the need to convert them to MP4?

squirt1000

Would rather have a cup of Tea!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Has anyone here tried out this yet?

http://www.orb.com/

It allows you to stream content from your PC to your Wii via the opera web browser, Im gonna give it a try tomorrow when I get in from work so ive got time to play with it properly
biggrin.gif

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
IF dvd-drive() = accessable
THEN MFE-frontend-GameCube-Linux

*edit*
Just in case that's too cryptic for you
wink.gif
: If one can acces the drive and read data from a home burned disk, you can prepare a GameCube linux disc that contains the MFE frontend/distro. Together with that distro and a dvix movie you can play it on your Wii/TV.

kirra

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone here tried out this yet?

http://www.orb.com/

It allows you to stream content from your PC to your Wii via the opera web browser, Im gonna give it a try tomorrow when I get in from work so ive got time to play with it properly
biggrin.gif

How'd it go? Does it lag? I'm trying to watch some movies without moving them onto the SD card.

directive0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
heres hoping the final iteration of the opera browser utilizes the FULL screen (none of those top and bottom kooky black borders) and the nav bar at the bottom is hidable, that would be the best. It sucks that I can't fullscreen youtube and dailymotion vids to their full rez.

rukiri

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Orb is *alright* but definitely not ideal.

It works, I've played anime streaming to my wii in the opera browser using ORB, but the quality is ~youtube level, if not a little worse, and because of opera's white bar along the bottom, the video isn't even that big.
Think of it as a private YouTube of your own videos.

The biggest issue, in my opinion, is that ORB has to re-encode your videos on the fly to stream them, and that takes lots of CPU power. My CPU is an older AthlonXP @2.11Ghz and it seems as if it can barely re-encode fast enough for orb to stream, resulting in some stuttering.

Also, considering that the wii output is limited to 480p anyway, maybe we're all better off hooking up a computer to our tv's? if have hdtv's?

For now, I'm sticking to re-encoding things I want to watch to DVD-Video format and playing them on my DVD player.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I still use my xbox to stream all my movies. You can pick up a cheap xbox, softmod it then you can use XBMC. It will play almost any movie format without you messing about converting.

championboxer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I still use my xbox to stream all my movies. You can pick up a cheap xbox, softmod it then you can use XBMC. It will play almost any movie format without you messing about converting.

pardon my ignorance...
so do you literally surf for movies via xbox?
or you would d/l or stream the movies off a computer and then into your xbox?

btw, whats XBMC? Xbox Media Center?

thks!

kutis

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
I still use my xbox to stream all my movies. You can pick up a cheap xbox, softmod it then you can use XBMC. It will play almost any movie format without you messing about converting.

pardon my ignorance...
so do you literally surf for movies via xbox?
or you would d/l or stream the movies off a computer and then into your xbox?

btw, whats XBMC? Xbox Media Center?

thks!

i also have the old xbox for my movies...

yes, xbmc means xbox media center... it plays all format (at least 99% of them), can stream from PC, also can read data dvd,.. dvd movies as well, got streaming radio, can be skin to look like x360 (even though i prefer the original skin),.. mmm what else.... owh, play music, and if u understand python, u can write scripts onto it,.. i think it does podcast as well (i think u can find the python scripts for it)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/kTzpzBF.mp4