Hardware More and more Nintendo is dropping the 3D feature of the 3DS

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendolife just ran this article: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...as_nintendo_continues_to_ignore_3d_on_the_3ds

Its a point that I've realized recently as well and have been thinking about. It sucked when the gen 6 of Pokemon were the first to seemingly have the vast majority of the game in 2D, but hey the battles were in 3D so that was kind of nice, but then gen 7 comes out and bam, no 3D in the battles anymore either, only in a few select areas where you just observe Pokemon is there 3D. So then along comes Super Mario Maker 3DS, and hey I get why that game lacks the 3D aspect, I could see it having graphical issues with the whole design your own level aspect to it, not to mention that they were trying to stay true to those previous Mario game designs aesthetically (still I wouldn't have opposed it in the game). But then when Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga DX didn't have it, I was frustrated, as Nintendolife points out, there is no good reason for the game to lack 3D when the the Mario and Luigi games released on the system did have it and were made with the same engine. That new Kirby game wont have it either. Of course we've had the 2DS for a few years and now the New 2DS XL, so it is clear that Nintendo thinks the feature is more or less an optional novelty at this point. And hey, I understand that there are a fair amount of people that aren't a fan of it or gives them headaches or whatever, but conversely, there are a lot of us that really do like the feature and don't want it to disappear. To this day I still think its a little bit magical how you can see that 3D effect without glasses in the palms of my hands.

But looking past personal preferences. I think the glasses-free 3D is the 3DS' only real selling point at this point. I guess you could argue 2 screens is still a big selling point, but 2 screens have never been necessary, they only stand more as convenience than anything these days (you can always pull up a map or inventory on a single screen game, it might just take a few extra seconds). That 3D effect doesn't happen on the Switch. And it really is the Switch that has to be taken into account here, if the 3DS is to continue to co-exist with the Switch, then it needs a good reason to exist aside from the Switch. And my argument is that the 3D is the best reason for it to continue to co-exist, but if Nintendo keeps dropping the feature in all their new games, well then the 3DS will stop having a reason to exist while the Switch thrives, and it should be put to rest. But I really don't think it has to be that way, if they keep supporting the 3D, they could probably get a couple more years of life out of the system, I mean I'm amazed its still going as strong as it has, but I also see no reason why it has to end anytime soon either, unless again they stop supporting the main things that make it difference from other devices in the same marketspace.

Reactions: DarthDub
D

Deleted User

Does anyone use the headache inducing abomination that we call 3d? I used it.... twice and that was it.

Kids cant use it because it will fuck up their eyesight developement.

So who's left to use it?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I guess you could argue 2 screens is still a big selling point, but 2 screens have never been necessary,
Not necessary in the literal definition of the word, but a major deal for me when I compare the home versions of Xenoblade with the N3DS one! :)

As for the original question: 3D is rather simple to implement in a game that has 3D engine -- but is hard to do right (no visible performance penalty, contents that don't make you dizzy quickly, ...)
I enjoy most games in 3D but only a small amount actually benefit from it (Mario 3D Land and OutRun 1) - in spiritual violation of the Nintendo rule that all games should "work" without 3D :)

---

Mario Maker? A very lazy WiiU port for multiple reasons, only one being the lack of 3D (available in NSMB2)

Last edited by Ryccardo,

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone use the headache inducing abomination that we call 3d? I used it.... twice and that was it.

Kids cant use it because it will fuck up their eyesight developement.

So who's left to use it?

Its so funny, I remember when they first released EVERYONE was saying it caused headaches. I gave it a shot and it too gave me a headache, but literally after 2 play sessions, I never got a headache again from the effect. I think your body literally just has to get used to it because its adjusting to something that is betraying everything your brain knows about looking at a flat surface without something like glasses adding an extra filter to change the effect. To answer your question, yes I use the 3D at full blast all the time on my 3DS, and aside from 2 play sessions back in 2011 when I was first getting acclimated to the system, it does not give me headaches at all, and I think this seems to be the case for most other people as well.

D

Deleted User

Its so funny, I remember when they first released EVERYONE was saying it caused headaches. I gave it a shot and it too gave me a headache, but literally after 2 play sessions, I never got a headache again from the effect. I think your body literally just has to get used to it because its adjusting to something that is betraying everything your brain knows about looking at a flat surface without something like glasses adding an extra filter to change the effect. To answer your question, yes I use the 3D at full blast all the time on my 3DS, and aside from 2 play sessions back in 2011 when I was first getting acclimated to the system, it does not give me headaches at all, and I think this seems to be the case for most other people as well.
I think the next question is how the hell can you stand to play games at 2 frames per second.

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the next question is how the hell can you stand to play games at 2 frames per second.

If you only played 2 times like that, then I'm guessing you only played on an original model and not a New model in 3D. Turning on overclocking via NTR or the like in a new model for all games, really does wonders for any old titles that may have had framerate issues. Otherwise can't say the framerate has ever bothered me in many 3DS games aside from the Pokemon games in battle regardless of if you have the 3D on or not.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Personally i've barely used 3D at all. In most games it's very lackluster. Only game i ever use it in is yokai watch as it is really pretty in fights. But even then it's too distracting.

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said, personal preferences aside, my concern here is that it seems like Nintendo may be shutting down the 3DS family sooner than they have to and that more and more new games are not even having the feature is a leading cause of it.

Reactions: Pacheko17

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
How is this a surprise?
I use 3D all the time, but meh, there's not a whole lot of point to it.
Honestly, I'd trade my O3DS for a N2DS XL with no problem, heck, I'd trade it even for a normal 2DS, because it's so damn sexy.

Reactions: Todderbert

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Like I said, personal preferences aside, my concern here is that it seems like Nintendo may be shutting down the 3DS family sooner than they have to and that more and more new games are not even having the feature is a leading cause of it.
The 3DS family is dying because the switch is here. It still has some life left but it'll end sooner or later. It has nothing to do with them using 3D or not. Hell the 2DS line doesn't even have 3D. And it's a really good device. Nintendo realized very long that 3D was a gimmick that didn't catch on.

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is this a surprise?
I use 3D all the time, but meh, there's not a whole lot of point to it.
Honestly, I'd trade my O3DS for a N2DS XL with no problem, heck, I'd trade it even for a normal 2DS, because it's so damn sexy.

I'm not saying its a surprise, I'm simply stating that I think this is Nintendo's way of killing off interest in the system sooner than they should (if they wanted to net the most profit from the system), and I find that disappointing. Because seriously whats the selling point for Nintendo over the Switch? 2 Screens? I just don't see how that would still be a selling point since 2004 with the original DS, not to mention they did not continue the 2 screen design from the Wii U to the Switch. At least the 3D effect was something truly unique to the sell the 3DS on even to this day. Frankly I think Nintendo could just release more upgraded models of the system every few years to get the graphics looking better, but maintaining full compatibility with the 3DS library, but getting some new exclusive titles with better graphics and performance, like we've already seen with the initial New models. If they treated it right, and released the right games showcasing the unique 3DS features, I could see the 3DS line living on for years and years, kinda like annual smartphone releases, but not that regularly (I'm sure many are not on board with this thought). But if they start killing off those features, then I see the system dying soon, surely not getting any more upgraded models like that, which very likely is the reality of it all, I know.

Reactions: Pacheko17

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Because seriously whats the selling point for Nintendo over the Switch?
Um, actually fitting in the average pocket (at least for the non-XL models), which in turn gives a meaning to Streetpass

Remember, the main advertising gimmick of a [Nintendo] console is rarely the one for which it becomes appreciated

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I think the only reason I turned it off was to save on battery life. It's sad though, especially with the rise of VR, it's like a part that never fully took off. That being said, a good gimmick does not make a game, a good game makes a good game. Gimmicks should come second.

Reactions: Ryccardo

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Because seriously whats the selling point for Nintendo over the Switch? 2 Screens? I just don't see how that would still be a selling point since 2004 with the original DS,
Yea 2 screens. It made the DS so incredibly popular. And the 3DS. They didn't do it with the switch because that could not work with a console. Clamshell design also. truly portable. But most importantly, a hell of a good games library. And that's always most important.

Reactions: Ryccardo

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea 2 screens. It made the DS so incredibly popular. And the 3DS. They didn't do it with the switch because that could not work with a console. Clamshell design also. truly portable. But most importantly, a hell of a good games library. And that's always most important.

I'm not saying 2 screens are bad, just that it isn't exactly a feature that is blowing anyone's mind anymore. That 3D effect is still something really unique, and worth still trying to market in my opinion. Portability is certainly nice, and obviously so is the library, but the fact that a system has a great library does nothing to stop the system from dying. It still needs an appeal looking forward in the market space its trying to exist in. The 3DS is dying, I know that, but my argument is that it doesn't need to be dying so quickly, Nintendo seems to be speeding up the process in a sense.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
can some one tl;dr this for me
Tl;DR duffmann really likes the 3D effect, thinks that's all the 3DS has going for it and is heartbroken that more games aren't using it.

I'm not saying 2 screens are bad, just that it isn't exactly a feature that is blowing anyone's mind anymore. That 3D effect is still something really unique, and worth still trying to market in my opinion. Portability is certainly nice, and obviously so is the library, but the fact that a system has a great library does nothing to stop the system from dying. It still needs an appeal looking forward in the market space its trying to exist in. The 3DS is dying, I know that, but my argument is that it doesn't need to be dying so quickly, Nintendo seems to be speeding up the process in a sense.
Nobody cares about the 3D effect. Almost nobody uses it. Them fading it out (which btw is more a developer choice, not nintendo) is logical because nobody gives a shit about it.

Reactions: Beerus

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm not saying 2 screens are bad, just that it isn't exactly a feature that is blowing anyone's mind anymore.
I personally consider them something like wireless charging or fingerprint login - things that you only appreciate after you try them for a while, and then it's super annoying to go back to the old way :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: