Hacking Moonlight Vita Alpha Released!

fehmi1907

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
xyz uploaded a third alpha with support for mouse and L2/R2/L3/R3.
https://github.com/xyzz/vita-moonlight/releases/tag/vita-alpha3
I have briefly tested it on my PSTV and unfortunately DS3 buttons are not yet mapped for L2/R2/L3/R3. Otherwise, it runs great over a wired connection without any noticeable lag @ 10Mbps.

Last edited by fehmi1907,

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could never get this to work. Gamestream works on my Android phone and NVidia Shield Portable. I cannot get it working on the Vita. I get the password and establish a connection but it just gets stuck at "launching Steam".

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if something like this could work with nvidia shield products, i wish everything didn't need a pc for me to go out and have to finda AFFORDABLE UPGRADE for hardware reasons. :glare:

fehmi1907

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Someone needs to take over this project. The input lag is unbearable.
It is being worked on actively by 2 developers. Some improvements which will hopefully reduce input lag have already been merged in. However, a lag-free experience on Vita is not very likely thanks to the lack of 5 Ghz wireless.

PSTV is a different story - it is already a good alternative to Steam Link as long as you hook it up via ethernet. It should support all DS3/DS4 buttons in the next version (but not so sure about rumble support).

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It is being worked on actively by 2 developers. Some improvements which will hopefully reduce input lag have already been merged in.
Do you have a link to those commits? The last commits I see are from 5 days ago and it says they improve PSTV controllers.

However, a lag-free experience on Vita is not very likely thanks to the lack of 5 Ghz wireless.
Nothing to do with lack of 5 Ghz wireless. PS4 Remote Play works almost lag-free. And the PS4 has a bad wifi chip. Moonlight just needs to be optimized.

fehmi1907

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you have a link to those commits? The last commits I see are from 5 days ago and it says they improve PSTV controllers.
https://github.com/xyzz/vita-moonlight/issues/22
Nothing to do with lack of 5 Ghz wireless. PS4 Remote Play works almost lag-free. And the PS4 has a bad wifi chip. Moonlight just needs to be optimized.
Moonlight is an implementation of GameStream - NVIDIA recommends a 802.11n 5GHz connection. Even the original Moonlight setup guide says the same thing. I won't claim there is no room for improvement but Vita's wifi is rather limited.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Moonlight is an implementation of GameStream - NVIDIA recommends a 802.11n 5GHz connection. Even the original Moonlight setup guide says the same thing. I won't claim there is no room for improvement but Vita's wifi is rather limited.
Nvidia recommends a 5 Ghz connection because it's available to them. PS4 and Vita don't support a 5 Ghz connection so Sony can't recommend it. Both recommend an ethernet connection over wifi. Both Gamestream and Remote Play basically work the same way, so it isn't a question of what frequency your wifi has but how optimized your software is. Proof: Run Moonlight on Android/iOS with a 2.4 Ghz connection and compare it with Moonlight on the Vita.

fehmi1907

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nvidia recommends a 5 Ghz connection because it's available to them. PS4 and Vita don't support a 5 Ghz connection so Sony can't recommend it. Both recommend an ethernet connection over wifi. Both Gamestream and Remote Play basically work the same way, so it isn't a question of what frequency your wifi has but how optimized your software is. Proof: Run Moonlight on Android/iOS with a 2.4 Ghz connection and compare it with Moonlight on the Vita.
Looks like you've discovered a bug or an issue. Why don't you post it on GitHub and help the developers fix it?

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It is being worked on actively by 2 developers. Some improvements which will hopefully reduce input lag have already been merged in. However, a lag-free experience on Vita is not very likely thanks to the lack of 5 Ghz wireless.

PSTV is a different story - it is already a good alternative to Steam Link as long as you hook it up via ethernet. It should support all DS3/DS4 buttons in the next version (but not so sure about rumble support).

PSTV beats the point of REMOTE play. Whats so remote when u have to sit down in one spot of on the tv.. IMO. I might aswell use a HDMI and ps4 controller on pc.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Input delay but mostly the CRASHING is killing this app :( constantly. and the stream image freezes and sometimes even lose input!

fehmi1907

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PSTV beats the point of REMOTE play. Whats so remote when u have to sit down in one spot of on the tv.. IMO. I might aswell use a HDMI and ps4 controller on pc.
Well, it lets me play games in the living room while my PC is in the bedroom so it is definitely remote! However, I wanted to get rid of Geforce Experience crap so I recently purchased a Steam Link on sale. I guess I won't be using Moonlight that much.

Input delay but mostly the CRASHING is killing this app :( constantly. and the stream image freezes and sometimes even lose input!
I have been using Moonlight on my PSTV (over ethernet) since Alpha 2 and it never crashed during game play. I guess there is a a problem somewhere because a lot of people are complaining about it but I am not sure if it is Vita's wireless chip or Moonlight's network optimization. Actually, my PSTV has terrible FTP speeds even over ethernet so maybe vitasdk needs to be improved if it is not a hardware limitation.

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, it lets me play games in the living room while my PC is in the bedroom so it is definitely remote! However, I wanted to get rid of Geforce Experience crap so I recently purchased a Steam Link on sale. I guess I won't be using Moonlight that much.

I have been using Moonlight on my PSTV (over ethernet) since Alpha 2 and it never crashed during game play. I guess there is a a problem somewhere because a lot of people are complaining about it but I am not sure if it is Vita's wireless chip or Moonlight's network optimization. Actually, my PSTV has terrible FTP speeds even over ethernet so maybe vitasdk needs to be improved if it is not a hardware limitation.
Ever heard of an hdmi cable.. U have them in long sizes xd so still not so remote for me.:P

fehmi1907

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ever heard of an hdmi cable.. U have them in long sizes xd so still not so remote for me.:P
Good luck with finding a good, flat, flexible, and looooong HDMI cable. Don't forget that you also need to a controller to play games. Bluetooth won't work that well through walls so you'll probably need a looong USB extension cable. Or you can just purchase a Link for 35-40 bucks or use Moonlight for the convenience.
Is there any update on supporting L2/L3&R2/R3 for a dual shock 4 on the PSTV?
L2/L3&R2/R3 works for DS3 on the WIP builds but I haven't hooked up my DS4 to test. AFAIK, rumble is not supported yet.

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Good luck with finding a good, flat, flexible, and looooong HDMI cable. Don't forget that you also need to a controller to play games. Bluetooth won't work that well through walls so you'll probably need a looong USB extension cable. Or you can just purchase a Link for 35-40 bucks or use Moonlight for the convenience.

L2/L3&R2/R3 works for DS3 on the WIP builds but I haven't hooked up my DS4 to test. AFAIK, rumble is not supported yet.
Depends on when you have your pc. most homes dont have that much space between it unless u got a reeeeealy big home.
But yeah then i can imagine it being of some use perhaps.

sarumanbelij

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
What is the output resolution of vita moonlight for playstation tv? Is it native 960 x 540 or vita tv can output higher resolution like 720p and 1080(this resolution doesn't work on vita moonlight 0.1, just show black screуn and stream only sound)?

D

Deleted User

I hate to bump this but has anyone had any success in this working recently? Im able to get the vita to pair with my PC without issue. However I can't seem to get it to launch/stream a game. It eventually fails the RTSP handshake with an error code of -1

ma16v3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hate to bump this but has anyone had any success in this working recently? Im able to get the vita to pair with my PC without issue. However I can't seem to get it to launch/stream a game. It eventually fails the RTSP handshake with an error code of -1

Are you on NGE 3.2(xxxxxx) and on the current version of moonlight? Sounds dumb, but just curious.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a