Homebrew Moonlight stop developing Moonshell?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

loony747

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Like I said before, I feel bad for Moonlight.

However, why stop? Why doesn't he just pick up his bags and go work for someone else? He has the talent, he can get the cash. I don't support what M3 did, but what does Moonlight expect? Not work on homebrew until he gets paid? He can work, and sell to someone else.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skyline969 said:
I really do feel bad about M3 screwing over Moonlight, but as several have said before me it won't stop me from using an M3 Real. I still paid my hard-earned money to get one, and no matter what I'm not gonna stop using it. If any of you wear Nike shoes or Adidas hoodies or anything, well small children in Indonesian sweatshops work themselves to death to make them. We don't boycott them. I know this is on a bit of a different scale, but still. People get screwed over in the market. It's life, it happens. I know I won't buy another M3 card; if I ever upgrade it will be to another brand, but for now use what you have. Yes, Moonlight got the short end of the deal here. Yes, he deserves to be paid. No, I will not stop using a perfectly fine card just because of this. Let's think about this here - we at GBAtemp are a mere few percent of flash card users out there. If we did spread the word and got people to boycott M3 sales, well how big of an impact could we really make? 50% at the most? I dunno, I just think that a resistance would be futile, as many wouldn't know Moonlight nor would they care what the M3 team did to him. Believe me, I'm not one of those people. I may not know Moonlight, but like I said I do feel bad what M3 did to him. Review bombing would only damage our credibility here for spreading lies about the M3 cards. Sure, we could tell distributors what happened, but how many of them would actually care to stop selling M3 cards or promote competitors' cards? As long as the distributors can make money, they're not gonna stop selling products.

I apologize if I sounded arrogant, as that's not how I'm trying to come off as. I'm just saying it how it is right now. In short, we could try to do something about this but it may just backfire on us. It's a risky thing to do.
your pretty much right
lets not forget all the big big business's also that do this pretty much every day
like MS for example

anyway Ive never used moonshell before and dont even want to play media on my DS in the first place
thats what I have a zune and or PSP for (zune mainly...)
so doesnt effect me in the least bit

though I will question is why moonlight didn't get a contract made up instead of just a phone call and then just handing over all his work?
he was sort of asking for it, if this happened in any other type of business, the same thing would happen

and also the roudoulph thing only hurt m3 users (not anyone else)
but again a person just bypassed the lockout with a IPS patch for GBA Exploader
I only used the GBA backup tool anyway from him and the one that doesnt have the block worked great...

anime4ever

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Joe88 said:
Skyline969 said:
I really do feel bad about M3 screwing over Moonlight, but as several have said before me it won't stop me from using an M3 Real. I still paid my hard-earned money to get one, and no matter what I'm not gonna stop using it. If any of you wear Nike shoes or Adidas hoodies or anything, well small children in Indonesian sweatshops work themselves to death to make them. We don't boycott them. I know this is on a bit of a different scale, but still. People get screwed over in the market. It's life, it happens. I know I won't buy another M3 card; if I ever upgrade it will be to another brand, but for now use what you have. Yes, Moonlight got the short end of the deal here. Yes, he deserves to be paid. No, I will not stop using a perfectly fine card just because of this. Let's think about this here - we at GBAtemp are a mere few percent of flash card users out there. If we did spread the word and got people to boycott M3 sales, well how big of an impact could we really make? 50% at the most? I dunno, I just think that a resistance would be futile, as many wouldn't know Moonlight nor would they care what the M3 team did to him. Believe me, I'm not one of those people. I may not know Moonlight, but like I said I do feel bad what M3 did to him. Review bombing would only damage our credibility here for spreading lies about the M3 cards. Sure, we could tell distributors what happened, but how many of them would actually care to stop selling M3 cards or promote competitors' cards? As long as the distributors can make money, they're not gonna stop selling products.

I apologize if I sounded arrogant, as that's not how I'm trying to come off as. I'm just saying it how it is right now. In short, we could try to do something about this but it may just backfire on us. It's a risky thing to do.
your pretty much right
lets not forget all the big big business's also that do this pretty much every day
like MS for example

anyway Ive never used moonshell before and dont even want to play media on my DS in the first place
thats what I have a zune and or PSP for (zune mainly...)
so doesnt effect me in the least bit

though I will question is why moonlight didn't get a contract made up instead of just a phone call and then just handing over all his work?
he was sort of asking for it, if this happened in any other type of business, the same thing would happen

and also the roudoulph thing only hurt m3 users (not anyone else)
but again a person just bypassed the lockout with a IPS patch for GBA Exploader
I only used the GBA backup tool anyway from him and the one that doesnt have the block worked great...

I do not want to go too deep in the subject but, it is because of attitudes like this that the world is hoe it is (do not tell me that the world(I know its vague but like I said I wont go deep in the topic) is being good right now)
If no one do something without risking something you will never advance(I do not know how to say this in english but anyws)
If you are a baby and do not try to walk because you are too scared to hurt yourself then enjoy the consequences,
I understand your point guys but try to think about it.
Like I said I will make this short.

Problematique

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Densetsu3000 said:
Reading the first and last couple lines, it almost sounds like a suicide note
unsure.gif
Probably not though. At least, I hope not.

dry.gif
It dose...it dose....i'll have to give a tingle to the m3 team on msn today

skyman113

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
I agree with this statement. I don't know what the situation with Businesses is like over there in japan, but I know here in the US, you always have to get it in writing.

burp61

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can pretty much expect this from any business, there are always disappointments and it always seems unfair to one who does the dirty work but the truth is, this is how a business works ultimately, this is their bread and butter and the m3 team did exactly the same, i am not saying that this is justice but however there is no justice present at all. Moonlight told us what happened and we feel bad about him and i do too because him and rudolph are the only ones who mentioned it but this type of shit always circulates around a business and this is how they get their revenue

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Antoligy said:
I can't be bothered to compy and paste.
Click to read: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=129...p;#entry1711778

Moonlight has no argument and as he didn't make the card, he doesn't lose anything.
Besides this isn't the first time he stopped developing. (hint, the last moonshell release was ages ago)
He said it himself ages ago, he stopped working on moonshell because it was taking too much of his time and the only course to further optimization was to use the official ARM toolchain which his student demo had expired and which license renewal is $1K USD+. Now, put yourself in his shoes from that perspective, assume he is a student or adult with responsibilities that take up a good portion of time - what incentive could someone offer you to pay out that license and to put in the amount of time and work that has been put into the moonshell codebase since the "ages ago" release, and then misrepresent that it is even moonshell or your own work until very very recently? And what would your reaction be if that incentive turned out to be 100% bull hooey? Of course, this is all speculating that the bad translation is even remotely, accurately reflecting real life...

Simply put (from fact not speculation): if you are going to work independently as a coder (or for that matter as any form of contractor, especially for any questionably shady company that clearly is all about raking in cash) there is only one word to consider before starting any project - escrow.

Creamy Goodness

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
flash carts might be based on piracy (stealing) but not paying the people that helped them with the software is really going too far!
i will make sure to remember this and not purchase any of their products in the future, and try to make my friends do the same.
i don't understand how some of you can justify this behavior by comparing this company to other ones. nobody deserves to be ripped off like that, and good homebrew developers are few and far between... don't expect someone else to come along and take over moonshell or just code up a successor overnight!
that's enough ranting, now i'm going to complete my order at dealextreme, and i'm sure you can guess which brand of flash cart i'm NOT buying three of.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Creamy Goodness said:
flash carts might be based on piracy (stealing) but not paying the people that helped them with the software is really going too far!
i will make sure to remember this and not purchase any of their products in the future, and try to make my friends do the same.
i don't understand how some of you can justify this behavior by comparing this company to other ones. nobody deserves to be ripped off like that, and good homebrew developers are few and far between... don't expect someone else to come along and take over moonshell or just code up a successor overnight!
that's enough ranting, now i'm going to complete my order at dealextreme, and i'm sure you can guess which brand of flash cart i'm NOT buying three of.
you suffer from just about everyone suffers from
taking sides without learning all the facts

according to the g6team's comment (member here from the m3/g6 team)

QUOTEHey Everyone,
Please note:

The gbatemp & gbatmw mentioned is not true .

We don’t know Japanese & we don’t communicate with moonlight directly .

All the communication is taken by our Japan agent (He sell our M3 in Japan) .

Before moonlight made the firmware of Sakura , our Japan agent who asked moonlight & paid the enough money to him than moonlight sign the agreement & help us to make the firmware .

We don’t know why he said it now …..

Maybe moonlight is not satisfied our work or something ….

We don’t know it.

Our Japan agent will try to understand it later.

Thank you for your attention.

its in broken english/engrish but you get the gist of what it say's

anyway we are still missing a ton of facts and most likely this will just blow over anyway, like it already is

maybe there was a breach in contract when moonlight released moonshell2? who knows
theres not enough facts to take anyone side, so its pointless to babble who is right and who is wrong, it just leads no where

Creamy Goodness

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yeah well it's not my fault, if he did get paid he should quit writing misleading comments implying he got ripped off, or at least be a little more specific. language barrier isn't really helping either.

bobthendsuser

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is... bad. maybe he should make his own site and make a paypal donation button. we would donate! please moonlight! WE NEED YOU!!!!!!!

Diosoth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chrono_Tata said:
I don't think anyone would kill themselves over that. O___o I'm sure he's just pissed off (who wouldn't be if they have to go through shit like that). We should give him a few days to calm down and see what he thinks then.

Maybe not in the US, but in Japan, the suicide rate is very high, partly due to "honor" and "dishonor" beliefs. It's still seen as an acceptable practice if you do bad in school, lose your job, etc.

What?

I'm not joking. It does happen.

nonnonnon

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
i have e mailed the m3 team (my message: i have read on the gbatmw forums that moonshell has decided to quit delvoping for ds! and he ( moonlight) says that you hav not payd him. he has made sakura and you dont pay him!
he is the best homebrew delvoper for ds. you cant yust sit there and do nothing! you should apolegies for moonlight

i like your product and the great support team! but please bring moonlight back..

THIS IS THE POST FROM THE M3 TEAM:
Hi ,

The gbatmw mentioned is not true .
Before moonlight made the firmware of Sakura , our Japan agent who asked moonlight & paid the enough money to him than moonlight sign the agreement & help us to make the firmware .

We don’t know it .
Our Japan agent will try to understand it later .

Thanks !

mAYBE YOU SHOULD READ THIS BEFORE HANING OUT THE M3 TEAM?

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
We need proof anyway, and we should only /suspend/ the banning/boycotting/neither for now, get them to email you back with their agents answer. They aren't going to tell the truth if that is the case, they's lose so many sales of M3

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
He seems to have removed the message from the site. Now there's just a download link left and the "Don't mail me" message.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nonnonnon said:
i have e mailed the m3 team (my message: i have read on the gbatmw forums that moonshell has decided to quit delvoping for ds! and he ( moonlight) says that you hav not payd him. he has made sakura and you dont pay him!
he is the best homebrew delvoper for ds. you cant yust sit there and do nothing! you should apolegies for moonlight

i like your product and the great support team! but please bring moonlight back..

THIS IS THE POST FROM THE M3 TEAM:
Hi ,

The gbatmw mentioned is not true .

We don’t know it .
Our Japan agent will try to understand it later .

Thanks !

mAYBE YOU SHOULD READ THIS BEFORE HANING OUT THE M3 TEAM?
this was already posted like 2 weeks ago...

xxRAG3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm assuming this is what it means straight seriously. Hes done developing for the DS off of the fact that its hard and time consuming [i.e: I won't make a yen out of this though] and hes doing it for free or atleast is extremely underpaid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night