Monster Hunter Tri-G is on the JPN Eshop-Should I go for it?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by nugundam0079, Dec 31, 2012.

Dec 31, 2012

nugundam0079 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    As the title states-MH3G is out on the eshop and I'm very interested in buying it(I have a jpn 3DS LL) I do plan on buying ultimate for my WII U simply for the online portion but since I don't have any friends who play monster hunter or own a 3DS that live near me, MH on the 3DS would be more of a solo thing for me.

What do you guys think?

Happy new years!

emigre Putting out the fire with gasoline

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Yeah sure, go for it.

heartgold New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Upgraded Wii port on the go, sure it was awesome. I'm surprised 3DS actually could hold up against the Wii game, has better lightning and effects too. Running this in 3D too, obviously the polygon count is lower and has to double pump the polygons when in 3D mode.

klim28 Hunter4Life

Message Count:
    Philippines
    3400 Yen is a bargain compared to the original +-6000 Yen cart price. Wish I waited for the digital version ~_~

Rizsparky Saiyan Prince

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    I'd go for it, tbh for me personally the online portion wont be as played as SP so I'd go for the 3DS version

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Message Count:
    United States
    you know what MH is, you planned on getting the Wii U version JUST for the multiplayer, what are you wasting time sitting here and asking for! GO DOWNLOAD!!!

nugundam0079 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Thanks guys!!! I'm def going to go for it..I just hope I can find some guides online to help me along.

slingblade1170 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I can't wait to get my hands on MH for both the 3DS & Wii U. I miss playing MH on the Wii, the online was a blast.
    nukeboy95 and Eighteen like this.

nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

Message Count:
    Pacific Ocean
    sad that the wii servers are getting shutdown in march

Hielkenator New Member

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    Will be the case for a lot more games I'm afraid....

Eerpow *swoosh*

Message Count:
    Sweden
    Not really, the 3DS doesn't need to process twice the amount of polygons when 3D, it's the same set of polygon geometry rendered once and viewed from two different angles, 3D does still take a toll on the system though due to having to render everything in double the resolution plus there's probably some other things like certain effects that need some tweaking and system power when 3D. Still a good job considering it's basically a port. MH4 will have more competitive visuals and keep in mind that MH4 won't have any loading screens too so the geometry we've seen so far in that game is actually pretty impressive.

heartgold New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Errr....Yes it does to get 800x240 resolution. Its pushing more polygons to fill in for the 3D effect images instead of 400x240.

Eerpow *swoosh*

Message Count:
    Sweden
    I stand by what I wrote, did some more research and there's nothing to back up your claim. This is how it works, if the game runs at 60fps in 3D mode its actually displaying the same scene from two angles, the scene gets vertically interlaced on the screen and finally separated by the barrier, it's the equivalent of running a game in 2D at 120fps. Imagine having the in game camera alternating with a speed of 120fps resulting in an image output of 60fps but 3D, this is why some games runs at 60fps in 2d but 30 in 3D. The polygon count isn't directly affected, and just to be clear the 3DS renders at 800x240 when 3D, but that's just the viewable pixels on the screen not the game geometry which consists of triangles, double the framerate =/= double the polygons. It's the same reason why I'm not really wasting that much more resources when I'm trying out iZ3D for my PC games, the computer is just running the game at 120fps instead of 60fps.

In layman's terms it's just a camera jumpcutting between point A and B at 120fps which then gets translated to as two images interlaced at 60fps, in a normal non 3D game when the gamecamera jumpcuts and views the scene from a different angle it's still the same scene and it doesn't need to have textures, lightning and geometry re-rendered. Some minor effects do however, but not polygons.
    Last edited by Eerpow, Jan 3, 2013

TyBlood13 *Shitty Title Here*

Message Count:
    Australia
    I wouldn't think so since the Wii U plays Wii games...

heartgold New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    mmm I don't doubt you, but I will just post what Nintendo engineers says from Iwata asks. http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/how-nintendo-3ds-made/1/2

Graphical power is doubled according to those quotes .

Eerpow *swoosh*

Message Count:
    Sweden
    I've read that before and it's not twice the power because you have to re-render models, it's twice the framerate, which indeed needs some more juice but not as much as people think.
    "Umezu I had to render the upper, 3D screen at twice the usual speed" The speed he's referring to is the framerate, as I said when games run in 60fps 3D the games have to be able to play at 120fps which is why some games when played in 3D only plays at 30fps and 60fps when 2D, yeah I know I'm repeating myself :P.

The rest of the quote is just referring to how the system uses more battery when the top screen is displaying 3D, that's because the increased amount of light the screens produce.
    Why it gets translated to doubled the graphics at the end is beyond me, that can easily be misinterpreted even if it essentially means the same thing as doubling the framerate. I mean if my PC doesn't need to have twice the power to play games in 3D then why would Nintendo choose not use the most power effective way to make games 3D on a device that's designed around that feature? It's far from doubling the horse power, it takes almost exacly the same amount of horsepower to play a game in 60fps 2D as it takes to play it 30fps 3D because both are essentially rendered at 60fps, which is why the feature is easily implemented for devs.

Now is MH 60fps 3D? If that's the case it just means that the system needs to produce 120fps to achieve it, which in itself is pretty impressive.

taken from giantbomb
    The same thing is said everywhere on the net polycount and stuff like that is not directly affected.

Oh and sorry for the offtopic temp :lol:
    Last edited by Eerpow, Jan 4, 2013
    • Newcomer

zionfarm New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I would highly say get the game. Do you mind telling me how you got your japanese 3DS? If it was just regular purchasing off of some site then it's cool. I really want to get a japanese 3DS also.

Myke so tasty!

Message Count:
    United States
    if you plan on getting the wiiu version when it comes out here in the us, I would maybe wait and get the us version for the 3ds that way you can transfer the gamesaves between systems and keep playing on the go. IF you don't care about transferring saves then get the jp version. You won't be able to transfer saves between the 3ds jp and the wiiu us version though.

SPONSORED LINKS