FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tthis last few months it seems many windows 7 X64 installs I take care of, regardless of AV, time since install and other such things always seem to want 4 gigs of RAM to run well, maybe 3 in a pinch but definitely not 2.

Normally I would just play with task manager, some kind of machine fixing program and tasklist /svc ( https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491010.aspx ) to find the culprit. However the first, lying piece of junk that it normally is, gmer, a2 hijack free and tasklist reveal nothing and say the RAM is cozy but nowhere near full and playing with the swap file. An exploratory nuking of the usual suspects (mainly windows update related) gains me very little either.

For most purposes this is fine and for desktops where I can bung 4 1 gig sticks in (thank you CEX for flogging them off at a couple of quid a pop) then I do not mind much at all, however laptop DDR2 is getting quite expensive for what it is (though I have seen the whole "new ram released, old ram gets legacy device prices" dance several times now so I probably should have stocked more. Probably should also do DDR3 at this point as well) and that gets annoying -- my Linux installs all seem to do OK with libreoffice and firefox with the same usage patterns and I should not really have to be doing this for basic office machines sporting mid range core2s and 2 gigs of RAM.

Have I missed anything or do I go RAM scrounging?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
are you sure you are using a good rip?
i am using windows 7 x86 i have 4gb of ram, and with firefox with some extentions skype av, and windows update running, on task manager got exactly 1 gb busy... (usable 3.25)

i know x64 takes more ram, but shouldn't be the whole 4gb..

are you using a integrated GPU that is reserving a lot of ram for VRAM?

maybe since its a new install, its just windows update wasting all the ram, i recently installed windows 7 (it was a early iso, with no SP1) on my friend pc, and noticed the ram was 80% busy, but windows update was downloading about 200 updates... and after having the pc with everything ready, ram in iddle was 1-2gb busy... (he also had 4, but i made him get a new ram stick just to be sure)

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It was various installs, ones I have done from my downloaded media both in recent times and in years past, ones that had been installed by OEMs and ones I had not touched before the day it was set in front of me, the whole range from pro to ultimate, for all sorts of laptops, towers and hardware combos (shared GPU RAM and otherwise).

Task manager, especially newer versions, lies badly and also says it is not using a lot. However the more accurate programs also say all is good. The fact remains that adding more RAM, even though in a couple of cases I actually ended up dropping the RAM speed, instantly sped everything up. Normally it is Windows update if not slowing things down then using enough resources that starting something sends it over the limit but in this case it seemed fine.

Requirements do increase as time goes on (end of XP would not run on what it an original install would have) but this seemed all at once and not really with any great reason.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
maybe you should wait for windows 10 and see if that help..

or move to Linux once and for all.

if not its maybe time to get a new setup if this is really old and maybe dying on you.

Hecatia

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
There is a huge memory leak in something related to updating.

I reinstalled 7x64 on a laptop recently and it used the usual amount of ram but when I connect it to the internet to update it used the whole 4GB slowing the laptop down to a crawl and it only settled down when updating was done.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to finding out about this at work, there is actually an issue in Windows 7 right now where svchost started by SYSTEM will wind up having a huge memory leak on some systems (I've seen it taking up 1.2GB of RAM on one of our laptops) due to something in the Windows Update cache. Check this out: http://www.sevenforums.com/general-...ost-exe-netsvcs-draining-all-my-memory-2.html

Edit - even on 4GB at work out Windows 7 rigs run like a pile of shit.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I've actually noticed huge memory consumption on the family desktop with Windows 7. It's 32-bit and runs with 2GB of RAM perfectly fine, and it sits at 1GB when idle, however, when Google Chrome starts, the computer grinds to a halt. Watching the task manager showed that Chrome was, quite literally, using what remaining memory the computer had. I know it's a memory leak, but I'm not sure where it is .-. My own laptop, with three tabs open and 5 extensions only uses about 200MB of RAM, although I'm on Windows 8.1 with 8GB of RAM, but still. I'm considering uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome, but that is going to have its own issues, like my mother losing all her saved passwords, bookmarks, and whatnot, and she'll probably bitch me out on that :x

loco365

Trophies
XP
@Sicklyboy I'm not entirely sure if she does, but I really hope that she does. If that's the case, all that she'll lose is all the sites that are auto-signed in for her (Facebook, Yahoo Mail, other sessions, etc etc). Otherwise I can just make a burner email to preserve them. She's not very computer literate, so if she can't get it working in the usual amount of clicks she flips shit at me. :x

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
@Sicklyboy I'm not entirely sure if she does, but I really hope that she does. If that's the case, all that she'll lose is all the sites that are auto-signed in for her (Facebook, Yahoo Mail, other sessions, etc etc). Otherwise I can just make a burner email to preserve them. She's not very computer literate, so if she can't get it working in the usual amount of clicks she flips shit at me. :x
You should be able to check the Chrome settings to see what Google account everything is associated with.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn