Hacking Modding tips...

portugeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a CECHP fat PS3. It currently has a red screen. Everything I've read about it says that it's moddable. Although after looking at some tutorials I found that they suggest purchasing an extra item (Teensy++, Progskeet, E3 Flasher) for hardware flashing.

Is it not possible to softmod a PS3? -- If it is, is it possible to softmod a PS3 with a red screen?

Some places were saying to Downgrade the official firmware, then upgrade with a CFW. Is all this doable from the BIOS screen? Because I can't currently view the cross-media bar.

EDIT: I have OFW 3.55 downloaded. My console says... "Connect storage media that contains update data of version 4.65 or later"

Last edited by portugeek,
D

Deleted User

CECHP is a NOR console. You would need a Flasher as your current FW is above 3.55. Would need to dump your current NOR, patch it, then flash it back.

Though from the sounds of it, you might have an issue with RSOD. If it's a hardware issue, you can fix that first. If somehow you mangled a FW update, you'll be in trouble trying to downgrade. But then again, it's already non-functional.

Since you can downgrade on the console, my best recommendation is to actually use safe-mode to upgrade your OFW to anything between 4.66-4.75 to see if you can resolve the RSOD that way, and if successful, then downgrade it.

There's really a lot of things RSOD could be. Could even be the HDD itself.

Reactions: portugeek

portugeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll try what you said and update to 4.66 to see if that works. I'm not looking forward to having to buy a flasher, so that's a little discouraging. I received this PS3 for free and just kinda have it lying around. I was hoping I could do something with it like play PS1 backups and emu's. Maybe even PS2 backups if that's even an option on a non-BC model.

Even if the OFW upgrade works I don't know if I'd care enough to want to spend money on a flasher. Espcially not knowing if this is an issue that can pop up again without warning.

D

Deleted User

Nope, there are no soft-mod methods to hack the PS3. If you're not comfortable with the whole process, there's usually places to look to like Craiglist and such who will do it for a fee.

portugeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried updating to OFW 4.66 and I still get the red screen. I also tried all the other Bios options to reformat the drive.. and restore the settings. I did them all, after installing 4.66, in no particular order, and kept getting the red screen.

Is this a harddrive an issue? Is this a more serious internal issue? Would modding fix it, or should I just scrap it?

D

Deleted User

If you have a spare HDD I'd try it, but beyond that it's probably best to just scrap it. RSOD has a nasty problem of never going away and can sometimes be worse. Probably not worth the money trying to flash it or buy a flasher.

There are packages to bypass the RSOD and install your FW again to make it work, but it requires the console being modified already. So you know, the whole chicken and egg bit.

RSOD can also be a faulty NOR chip as well, which in that case, the unit is at best good for parts. Has this unit been modded before?

D

Deleted User

Yea chances are they were probably RSOD'd when you got them.

If you're not looking to spend money on a flasher, I'd just scrap them for parts if anything. RSOD will never go away, you can only bypass it. Eventually the unit will die at some point anyways.

portugeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He just gave them to me... so I wasn't expecting much. I did up getting lucky with one of them though. It was a slim and all I needed to do was swap out a harddrive and update it's firmware. It started working after that so I just ended up giving it to a friend that never had one.

When I get my hands on another harddrive, I'll test the PHAT again just to make sure.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure. I had bought something from a guy on Craigslist.. and when I picked it up he was like.. "I got these two PS3's if you want them." I'm not sure what was originally done.

Beware of Craigslist. Some people sell the properties that was stolen. Craigslist is a great service but risk getting scammed. BEWARE, that's all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)