MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello :)
I have a couple of questions regarding softmodding my PS2.
You know, in the time when I actually used my PS2 I was still a kid, I had like 10 games and that was enough for me, but now I want to catch up on some games from the PSX and PS2 library that I missed.
I have Swap Magic 3.6 installed in my console currently but the DVD is pretty damaged from the way I...handled it...when I was younger, so I thought it would be good to install Free MCboot since I read some stuff about it and I know that my console is compatible.
Sooo...to my questions:

PS2 related:
1. As far as I found out my best bet to booting PS2 "backups" would be ESR since USB Advance is too slow, am I right?
2. Would it be possible to use Action Replay codes in PS2 backups, using an iso of AR MAX (pretty sure this is possible, I think I did it once in GTA San Andreas)

Now to PSX related stuff:
1. Is it even possible to launch a PSX backup through Free MC boot if I don't have an original PSX disc? (I heard something about disc swapping)
2. If it's not possible with Free MC boot, could I do it with Swap Magic 3.6?
3. Do Gameshark/AR codes work in some way?

It would be really great if you could help me, and if all else fails I'll probably emulate the systems on my PC but you know, I have the real system here, so why don't try the real thing? ;)

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Disc backup has the highest compatibility for PS2 games. For Slim your alternative pretty much narrows down to SMB (Samab) loading, while on FAT you use HDD loading.

Swap Magic is only for PS2 games, for PS1 game on PS2 you must use Breaker Pro to swap disc. With FreeMcboot, you can swap disc without Breaker Pro (but you still need to block sensors on Slim or a means to swap disc on FAT).

PS1 game runs on 240p. Make sure your TV can handle 240p, many modern HDTV doesn't support 240p.

MichiS97

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I guess using an emulator would actually be the easiest thing for me to do, so I don't have to mess around with getting all of this to work...thanks for the info anyway :)
Now I just have to find good PSX games since I'm not into Final Fantasy and fighting games...

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
If you have an android or iOS device + a PS3 controller laying around you can fullframe emulate PSX games with RetroArch

Kalker3

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 but no PS3 controller ^^

A Bluetooth gamepad should suffice. Even if you don't have one, you could always just use the touch controls.
On PC, you can use a USB gamepad, a Bluetooth one if your PC can connect to it, or plain old keyboard.

MichiS97

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A Bluetooth gamepad should suffice. Even if you don't have one, you could always just use the touch controls.
On PC, you can use a USB gamepad, a Bluetooth one if your PC can connect to it, or plain old keyboard.

I'm actually setting up ePSXe now, I can use my WiiU Pro Controller thanks to my Mayflash adapter ^^

steveroo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I found it best to search online for an old modded ps1 than using free mc boot for ps1 games.

there's a ton of amazing shmup and cool 2d platformer run and gun games on ps1

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have had nothing but trouble trying to use PS1 and PS2 emulators. The best PS1 emulator I have used is a PSP.

But overall I agree with steveroo and I got a PS1 dirt cheap on ebay and installed a stealth modchip. I did this around a year ago but it couldn't have cost me more than $40 for both and it's pretty simple to download and burn PSX games on CD-R. (installing the mod chip may be difficult if you don't know how to solder but it was cake for me)

For PS2 I think using an internal hard drive is the way to go. Compatibility is pretty good...only game I had issue was i think Starwars Battlefront 2. I guess there is some uber complicated as hell method to patch it to make it work on HDD but I found it much easier to just ESR patch it and burn it.

For PS2 if it is having trouble reading discs like mine was it is pretty easy to swap out the laser. You can find PS2 lasers for around $15.

For PS1 I looked up what models work best before I bought one...they had a bunch of FMV skipping issues with some early models.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1