Modders Fix FFXIII PC Port's 720p Lock

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Which should be a critical point in your judgement for a serie that already lacks gameplay at its best, let alone it being a videogame.

Which is why RPG's should be played for the story. However up to the point I am the story was very meh coupled with terrible voice acting and really old CGI (complaining about this because I'm playing a supposed remaster). Well Okay FFX explains more about their story than FFXIII. In FFXIII you have to read half of the story. But still We are talking about the second highest rated FF and the most hated FF. They shouldn't be so similar.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm disappointed that it was locked in the first place. I certainly hope this is not the future of PC gaming, with PC versions of multiplat titles being locked down so it can't even make full use of the hardware in the PC.

At that point there wouldn't be any point in keeping your PC updated with the latest hardware and you might as well be playing on a console. Which would probably end up being cheaper, but games would look worse than they do on PC, and everyone likes pretty graphics.

I'm not much of a PC gamer and gameplay is more important than graphics to me, but if I can have the same great gameplay with better graphics that's always a plus. I don't own every console though, so some games I can only play on PC, and I want those games to make full use of their graphical capabilities.

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Which is why RPG's should be played for the story. However up to the point I am the story was very meh coupled with terrible voice acting and really old CGI (complaining about this because I'm playing a supposed remaster). Well Okay FFX explains more about their story than FFXIII. In FFXIII you have to read half of the story. But still We are talking about the second highest rated FF and the most hated FF. They shouldn't be so similar.

Rpg can have a great gameplay, mass effect 2+, Deus Ex, Witcher 2, or from japanese we can go with mana khemia, persona or suikoden (if you remove grind).

Want story play visual novels or read a book, games are for playing.

the R

I'm disappointed that it was locked in the first place. I certainly hope this is not the future of PC gaming, with PC versions of multiplat titles being locked down so it can't even make full use of the hardware in the PC.

At that point there wouldn't be any point in keeping your PC updated with the latest hardware and you might as well be playing on a console. Which would probably end up being cheaper, but games would look worse than they do on PC, and everyone likes pretty graphics.

I'm not much of a PC gamer and gameplay is more important than graphics to me, but if I can have the same great gameplay with better graphics that's always a plus. I don't own every console though, so some games I can only play on PC, and I want those games to make full use of their graphical capabilities.

Clearly not much of a pc gamer, stuff like locking fps (dark souls), locking res (ff13) is something totally out of place in pc gaming. I still remember when i was laughing at pc port of ace combat assault horizon when they announced higher res than consoles and 60 fps as if it was a feature.

Limited fps, res etc comes from poorly coded console games that were ported in laziest manner possible. I mean seriously, even emulators for ps2 or wii allow you to enhance graphics increase res etc.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FFXIII is just a bad game, they should have ported IX or X.

None of the FF PC ports have been worth a damn as originally released. It's always up to fan mods to get them up to something worth playing. Granted with FF13 they'd have to make a mod to turn it into another game entirely to make it worth playing, but there's no reason to think an FF9 or 10 port would be any better (from a technical standpoint).

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

This isn't really a trend or a thing that's happening, every once in a while a shit port just appears. Usually the Steam community gets buttmad over it, giving it nearly only negative reviews and the next game in the series gets a (bit) better treatment.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of the FF PC ports have been worth a damn as originally released. It's always up to fan mods to get them up to something worth playing. Granted with FF13 they'd have to make a mod to turn it into another game entirely to make it worth playing, but there's no reason to think an FF9 or 10 port would be any better (from a technical standpoint).

The sad part is, Square Enix was pretty much forced to fix FFVII's audio after a year but FFVIII fans had to fix, esp. the audio. Now both releases have original audio, which is good, but the way the game renders the battle engine is messed up. In VII and VIII, they in fact, ran at 60 fps, with the 3D being rendered ever four or so frames, so it looks slow while the HUD was 60 fps. The PC versions don't have that and things like Squall's Limit Break and the slots in FFVII are hard to time.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Rpg can have a great gameplay, mass effect 2+, Deus Ex, Witcher 2, or from japanese we can go with mana khemia, persona or suikoden (if you remove grind).

Want story play visual novels or read a book, games are for playing.

It can have a great gameplay but many don't yet still they are getting praised. Japanese RPG's are more story driven than western RPG's and there is nothing wrong with expecting enjoyable stories out of these kind of games.
Saying "Want story play visual novels or read a book, games are for playing" is narrow minded. Games can tell great stories or even stories that only work in videogame format.

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It can have a great gameplay but many don't yet still they are getting praised. Japanese RPG's are more story driven than western RPG's and there is nothing wrong with expecting enjoyable stories out of these kind of games.
Saying "Want story play visual novels or read a book, games are for playing" is narrow minded. Games can tell great stories or even stories that only work in videogame format.

More story driven than western rpgs ? Yeaah clearly you didn't play many western rpgs. Western titles i've mentioned have some of the best stories in gaming history. I could have easily mentioned elder scrolls games, but those ain't really about story but gameplay, and there's not even a comparison.

As much as i appreciate great story, unless it has a gameplay it's not a game, and if gameplay sucks it should be mentioned. I mean ffs, even old eroge rpg visual novel like sengoku rance had great replayability despite having very simple mechanics. Just cause some crappy studio sucks at making good gameplay doesn't change the fact that games are for playing. There's tons of other media, books, comics, anime, tv series, movies. They're all story oriented. Story ain't enough. Besides let's be honest if we go for the story part majority of rpgs suck quite bad, just cause some japan fanbois look through rose sunglasses doesn't make story awesome. There are things that appeal to me in japanese games, anime, manga and light novels, but it's rare to actually see one where i can say that was an awesome story, most of the stuff i've played was only good.

Besides, ff13 story ain't exactly awesome, i mean look at the characters in this game, they're friggin pathetic. Actually prolly one of the most annoying things i find in jrpgs is pathetic protagonists, but i usually can look past that if their pathetic level is still something i can handle and story or gameplay makes it worth enduring. Final fantasy is not one of those games.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The sad part is, Square Enix was pretty much forced to fix FFVII's audio after a year but FFVIII fans had to fix, esp. the audio. Now both releases have original audio, which is good, but the way the game renders the battle engine is messed up. In VII and VIII, they in fact, ran at 60 fps, with the 3D being rendered ever four or so frames, so it looks slow while the HUD was 60 fps. The PC versions don't have that and things like Squall's Limit Break and the slots in FFVII are hard to time.
That sounds like a nice improvement to me, I have heard bad things about those ports, maybe I should give them a try. However what you mention shouldn't affect the input timing since those things are merely graphical, it seems a bit like the games were originally optimized for a low FPS and they didn't bother to optimize things for a higher FPS when they were re-released. I honestly never noticed the battles ran at such a low FPS even though FF7 is one of my favorite FF games and FF8 is only behind because of the lacking story.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
More story driven than western rpgs ? Yeaah clearly you didn't play many western rpgs. Western titles i've mentioned have some of the best stories in gaming history. I could have easily mentioned elder scrolls games, but those ain't really about story but gameplay, and there's not even a comparison.

Besides, ff13 story ain't exactly awesome, i mean look at the characters in this game, they're friggin pathetic. Actually prolly one of the most annoying things i find in jrpgs is pathetic protagonists, but i usually can look past that if their pathetic level is still something i can handle and story or gameplay makes it worth enduring. Final fantasy is not one of those games.

I never said FFXIII was good but it's a good example of Squenix focusing on delivering a story rather than giving you good gameplay. I mean I agree both story and Characters are BS but they are the core of that game and the reason we play them (or don't play them).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte