Hacking modded wii lifespan shortened?

niklasnyfiken

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
I would have to say "not very likely" if installed properly. The mod chips just modify some instructions in the DVD firmware to allow backups to be played. That is all.

spokenrope

c7
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Aw. You've changed the title of the post and now I just look like an asshole.
wub.gif

To answer your question, I don't believe it does by any noticeable amount. I'd admit that my laser also seems to work a little harder on my backups, but I've never had a single laser fail on any of my previously modded systems, so I have little reason to believe that the Wii would be any different.

Only time will tell for sure, though.

dsbomb

Trophies
Website
dsbomb.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I have scientific proof that it does indeed shorten the lifespan of the Wii. You see, the first Wii I got was on launch day. I stayed in line for well over 45 minutes to get it. That was some of the hardest work I've ever had to do. Anyway, it started breaking down after about 3 years with moderate play, maybe 2-3 sessions a week. I did not mod it, since I was only 6 at the time.

Then, I had saved up enough from my Mom's secret money stash, in the vinegar box in the bathroom (what's she do with vinegar in there anyhow??
wtf.gif
). For my birthday, she got me a new yo-yo with Dora the Explorer on it. I traded that to Rico down the street for his Wii. He said his Dad couldn't find where to plug the controller in, so it musta been broken.

Anyhow, I gave it all my stash cash over to Ahmed at the 7-11. He said he had a friend at his church that was good with those smoldering irons. I got this Wii back just in time for Christmas. Then, my sister, Jill, has her birthday in April. The folks give her her own Wii remote and nunchuk, with a Wario's Warez game. I tell her she best find her own Wii, 'cuz mine is private property. Of course, she runs and tells on me, so now I'm expected to let her use my hard-earned Wii. I say, "That's whack" and my Mom flips out. To make a long story short, she grounds me from my own property for a month! My sister is all up in my face about her game. She gets a jar of honey for her biscuits and heads to my room. I go outside to call on my bff Rod, so we can fry some ants with his grandpa's magnifying glass. Next thing I hear, my sister is crying like the baby she is. No one showed her how to work a Wii, so she ate the game disc and put the honey-soaked biscuit in the Wii. Now, letmetellyousomethin, I don't need to say what happened next, but I will anyways. Right at that moment, the modchip makes a noise that sounded a bit like, "Yummmmmpft." And that Wii was broken, totally.

I won't bore you with what happened to my next modded Wii, but it only lasted 6.3 months before the modchip went after the mailman, and got maced right on the Vcc line!! It was not a pretty sight.
hate2.gif

nloding

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow @ dsbomb.

If installed properly and carefully, it shouldn't lessen the life significantly. However, I'm sure it does shorten it from, say, an expected 45,000 hours of gaming to 43,000 hours of gaming.

If you can't do math, that's 24-hours a day, 365 days a year, for 5 years.

In other words, it doesn't matter if done right.

Skyy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
nloding said:
If installed properly and carefully, it shouldn't lessen the life significantly. However, I'm sure it does shorten it from, say, an expected 45,000 hours of gaming to 43,000 hours of gaming.

If you can't do math, that's 24-hours a day, 365 days a year, for 5 years.

In other words, it doesn't matter if done right.
When you are using backups in Wii, that shortens the lifetime of the laser not the mod itself. Since the it has to do more work to get the data from the DVD than with a factory made DVD. That's why usually it makes more noise.

Same thing with PS2 and every CD/DVD using console. It f**ks up the laser in the long run. Some consoles can take more heat than others when it comes to the lasers, I got myself a new laser into my PSone twice. But like said few posts above, only time can tell how much beating Wii's laser can take.

Right from Dreamcast(didn't remember any earlier CD using console in a rush.. of course we could say SegaCD. Heh. ) to the latest Consoles around.

So yeah, it shortens it. If the mod is installed properly that's the only thing thats going to happen to your console. Shouldn't have any other "features"
lecture.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3
    Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I promise to come back and take her back home with me.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I...