eldontyrell

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hello all !

I modded my GBA with a backlit screen coming from aliexpress.
Screen is very nice but I measure the consumption and it's 350 ma, more than 3 times the normal GBA consumption.

A fresh set of alcaline batteries lasted 30 minutes.
With 2000 mha rechargeables, probably not more than 5 hours.

Any idea on what can be done to lower the consumption ?
Any brightness level I can adjust ?

Thanks !

Stéphane

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm, previous discussions made it seem like the replacement screens might actually be lower consumption.

Anyway there are dozens of different screen replacement models out there so it could be that, and it would not be the first time something cheap and nasty appeared on aliexpress and purported to be something good.

Do also check you have not got a short somewhere.

After that it will depend upon what it causing the problem. If they stuck a boost converter in the screen package to power either a CCFL or just high power LED backlight then it gets tricky, if it is just a high power LED you could well find the power for it and stick a resistor in line* with it to limit the current and thus limit the power drain. Whether you could go one further and stick a PWM circuit in there to reduce the brightness (and thus hopefully the current consumption) is a different matter.

*I vaguely recall one on the install diagrams for a replacement screen that it put the light section behind a resistor somewhere on the board, if you messed up and put it the other side then it could be that. Again though there a load of different takes on GBA screen replacements so who knows.

eldontyrell

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
"Hmm, previous discussions made it seem like the replacement screens might actually be lower consumption."

I wonder how this possible given that there's an additional led lighting (or something else) compared to the normal (non-lit) screen.
So at minimum, the new screen must consume more than the normal one ...
Sadly, in my case, it's consuming a LOT more :(

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah if it was just a backlight addon then power would have to go up. Some of the ones I have seen though have been whole replacement screens with lights inbuilt. Many of the modern screens are considerably more efficient, even with the additional load of a light for it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I came across one of these inefficient screens ... Where can I buy some good screens then ?
I don't really know, I have not investigated this market much and not seen anybody do a proper evaluation of it all and it seems there are a few people being cowboys in among it all.
Have you tried finding the LED pins and seeing if you can put an in line resistor in it yet? A nice screen would be better of course but if you can get it working acceptably with a couple of cents worth of resistor then it makes sense to do that.

eldontyrell

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thanks.
Last question ... Connecting p1 to d1a increases screen brightness as I understand it (maybe I'm wrong). Some people don't connect it and screen brightness suit them.
Disconnecting this wire could then theorically lower the consumption ?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would have to look at the diagram for the GBA and the screen for this one. I don't know what those refer to and what they do, and indeed if this screen does something different to things I have seen before. I imagine it is either a higher voltage source or one capable of delivering more current but without seeing what goes I can not say.

Zmajchek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
"Hmm, previous discussions made it seem like the replacement screens might actually be lower consumption."

I wonder how this possible given that there's an additional led lighting (or something else) compared to the normal (non-lit) screen.
So at minimum, the new screen must consume more than the normal one ...
Sadly, in my case, it's consuming a LOT more :(

Hi Eldontyrell,

if your GBA is 40 pin model you can buy these two items from aliexpress and they are guaranteed to work.

Screen:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For...M-Backlit-Brighter-Highlight/32622199888.html

Adapter (choose 40 pin B from the list)
[URL='https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32Pin-40-Pin-A-B-For-GBA-Ribbon-Cable-AGS-101-Backlit-Adapter-Screen-Mod/32716977370.html']https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32P...1-Backlit-Adapter-Screen-Mod/32716977370.html[/URL]
[URL='https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32Pin-40-Pin-A-B-For-GBA-Ribbon-Cable-AGS-101-Backlit-Adapter-Screen-Mod/32716977370.html'][/URL]
I have bought these two items and I couldn't be more satisfied with them. I didn't solder the additional wire because default brightness is more than enough for indoor use. Check out the photo to see the quality of the screen for yourself.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    747.6 KB · Views: 270

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi Eldontyrell,

if your GBA is 40 pin model you can buy these two items from aliexpress and they are guaranteed to work.

Screen:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For...M-Backlit-Brighter-Highlight/32622199888.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32P...1-Backlit-Adapter-Screen-Mod/32716977370.html
I have bought these two items and I couldn't be more satisfied with them. I didn't solder the additional wire because default brightness is more than enough for indoor use. Check out the photo to see the quality of the screen for yourself.
wow I was wanting to mod my GBA too but why these gbasp screen cost that much?o_o I was thinking like getting a full refurbish of my old GBa, (like rechargeable battery mod and maybe changing the case ) but wasn't waiting the screens to cost that much lol

eldontyrell

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi Eldontyrell,

Screen:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32P...1-Backlit-Adapter-Screen-Mod/32716977370.html

Hi Zmajchek,

Thanks for your answer.
Hmm a pity I didn't read your answer previously.
I have ordered another screen.
Anyway, maybe I'll try this one (I have 3 GBA to convert).

BTW what is the difference between Ribbon Type A&B ?

Thanks,

Stéphane

Reactions: cearp

Zmajchek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hi Zmajchek,

Thanks for your answer.
Hmm a pity I didn't read your answer previously.
I have ordered another screen.
Anyway, maybe I'll try this one (I have 3 GBA to convert).

BTW what is the difference between Ribbon Type A&B ?

Thanks,

Stéphane

Hi Stephane,

sory for such a late response. I believe that you have already found out the answer for yourself, but if you haven't — the thing is that the type B adapter just works best with the particular screen that I've suggested to you. There are no known issues and I have bought this combo myself (screen + adapter) after reading about it here on these forums and on reddit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.