Undercover Admin
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
KazoWAR said:
Pokemon will always be good as a single player game. I would like to see an option to be able to battle random trainers with out the need to look for someone in a chat room and swap friendcodes. maybe even have somesort of score based system that matched you up with trainers with a simular score.
Well you are in for a big surprise on Pokemon Black and White.
There's a thing called 'Random Match Mode' kinda like in Battle Revolution.
And there are also score boards in it and you battle people according to that score board.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
Please drop it, a MMORPG can never happen unless...it follow the roots from PS0. That alone is hard to pull off, Nintendo isn't big on full-scale online entertainment and the example was SSBB. The wifi connection was generic and they didn't emphasis on the strength of the wifi gameplay. They only did that on Mario Kart wii because it was successful on the DS.

To me Nintendo tries to be unique and influencial at the same time which to me is a challenge in itself. They should just stick with wifi and hopefully alter that broken friend code crap! I'm sick of putting a friendcode in each time to play against someone and sadly their connection sucks most of the time.

Nepeta

:33
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
tijntje_7 said:
We have yet to see a good mmorpg on the iPhone
tongue.gif
We have yet to see a good MMORPG, period.

You lie.

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FireGrey said:
KazoWAR said:
Pokemon will always be good as a single player game. I would like to see an option to be able to battle random trainers with out the need to look for someone in a chat room and swap friendcodes. maybe even have somesort of score based system that matched you up with trainers with a simular score.
And there are also score boards in it and you battle people according to that score board.
that is awesome news. Thanks.

Nepeta

Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I can say for SURE there will be a way to play MapleStory on it and such. In fact, maybe Nexon/Wizet will step up and actually make a new MapleStory DS where its an MMO?

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Well since the 3DS automatically connects with other 3DS nearby maybe you don't have to add your real life friends.
I hope they go by username to add each other and do stuff like *Block Friend Requests* if parents aren't ok with it.

bwillb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could see a guild wars style MMO working beautifully on a 3DS. no massive raids, no thousands of hotbars to keep track of....

D

Deleted User

Ehhh, maybe something like DQ IX where the game opens up when you co-op, but I really don't believe in portable MMORPG's, and MMORPG's in general; why the limited focus on MMORPG(s)?
Survivor Horror / Shooter-MMO / Mecha-Gundam (Factions?)

I think there's still a lot that can be done with Co-OP that hasn't been done yet, furthermore, MMORPG's rely heavily on social interaction, which is something that would be hard to develop portably. Not everyone would want to use the video-chat features. In addition, w/o good communication in a game, team work is impossible.

@Brian10122, as a fellow Brian, I actually agree to disagree; MMORPG's tend to copy the established paradigm because they're afraid that they won't make any money...By doing so they stifle creativity and innovativeness as well as confidence to explore the unknown. There's only one MMO that captured my full-attention, and it hasn't happened since.

Stats tend to mean EVERYTHING in an MMORPG, skill becomes a lesser concern depending on EG gears. It's hard for me to imagine a complex game where skill triumphs over gear/stats on a portable system. I think that the best Co-OP/Multiplayer game will be those that have a fairly simple premise

Fighting games, Platformers, RPG's; basically, games that can incorporate 2-3 players into the "single player" experience and become enhanced because of it. Just because an MMORPG might be possible by no means does this mean that it's a good idea.

Nepeta

Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
No, Pokemon is more based around the single player experience. Gotta catch 'em all. You could do that by trading, but the primary method of "catching them all" would be to catch them on your own.
Actually no single game can catch them all (without cheats), you HAVE to trade to do that. Hell for generation 4 nintendo made a global trade station where you can trade around the country over wifi so you can get the trading and multiplayer battle stuff without having to play locally. That's MMO-ish.

Yup, and the new leaderboards and random player battles along with co-op mode will definetly help the MMO-ish feeling =P

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
Well the DS has a touchscreen so the issue of not having mouse control that console MMORPGs have shouldn't exist here; so it could be made more like a PC MMORPG downscaled to a console, rather than a console RPG upscaled to MMO. You know, with many spells avaliable at once using the touchscreen, instead of just assinging a few to the face buttons (though this could be done for the most used spells I guess)

DunkrWunkah

GBAtemp's Official Dunkr
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tijntje_7 said:
^ There is more than one mmorpg for the iPhone...
The connection strength is good enough
smile.gif

Gameplay is pretty simple though, tap enemy/walk to enemy press attack button.
Gain loot, level up.. Assign skills, tap skill, tap enemy/press attack button, kill monster, get loot, level up...
Etc..
We have yet to see a good mmorpg on the iPhone
tongue.gif

I don't personally think there will be any good mmorpgs for the 3DS...
It just doesn't work with consoles :/
But, if they manage to make a working, (and fun) mmorpg, I'll buy that for sure
biggrin.gif
I'm sure that some developers will see a golden opportunity and apply their best work for an MMORPG project. I personally can't wait.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Yeah we can all hope for an MMO on the 3DS.

Games that could be good contenders for a 3DS MMO:-
- Lunia
- Gunbound
- An FPS Shooter (Can't think of a good FPS Shooter that would work great on 3DS though)
- Runescape (LOL!)

DunkrWunkah

GBAtemp's Official Dunkr
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FireGrey said:
Well looking at Pokemon Black and White it looks as if Pokemon on the 3DS will be a MMORPG.
I really want Runescape to be on the 3DS...
Runescape would be cool. I think JaGeX is too PC oriented and they have enough to worry about with updates and all.

NeoKaraishi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FireGrey said:
KazoWAR said:
ohmy.gif
Looking forward to that

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup