Gaming MKWii: Cleaning discs

Allanbuzzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was deciding on running Wiimmfi on my copy of Mario Kart Wii, however, when I did so, the Game disc error came up, and I searched online and apparently people say I need plain, white toothpaste, but I don't have enough money to get it.

Yes, its cheap, but come on, wasting money on toothpaste that I barely will use?

I have a Colgate Total blue toothpaste tube, which I used on my disc because the game disc had way too many scratches, but it didn't work and the scratches were still there.

So is there any alternative to this "cleaning discs" issue I am having?

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1w58.jpg

You could use baking soda and water to make a paste which is like a fine grit sandpaper to buff the scratches out. That is basically what the toothpaste is for as well. You'll have to use something like a toothbrush (which you might not own).

Last edited by morvoran,
Reactions: Raylight

Red9419

Trophies
XP
Country
Isn't tooth paste like 1$. Anyways i dont think that will clean it if the blue one didn't. Try alchohol.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can try to see if you can dump the mario kart wii disc using usbloader gx, if it works you should be able to play the game that way.

Allanbuzzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you can try to see if you can dump the mario kart wii disc using usbloader gx, if it works you should be able to play the game that way.
Does USB Loader work with SD Cards? I tried looking for a PAL Mario Kart Wii ISO, nothing.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay. So is there a PAL Mario Kart Wii ISO or do I have to buy the game again in PAL?
If the disc you have is not scratched to the point where it is unbootable maybe usbloader gx will read it and you can rip the game to a sd card or usb. Also if you do go searching for the game it has to be in .wbfs formatnot .iso. If it is in .iso you will need to convert it from a .iso to a .wbfs file.

Allanbuzzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If the disc you have is not scratched to the point where it is unbootable maybe usbloader gx will read it and you can rip the game to a sd card or usb. Also if you do go searching for the game it has to be in .wbfs formatnot .iso. If it is in .iso you will need to convert it from a .iso to a .wbfs file.
Well, the game does load into the health and safety bit, but then it shows the Disc error.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the game does load into the health and safety bit, but then it shows the Disc error.
Ok, if you don't have usbloader gx then get it from here.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/page-1115

On the page look for the username "Cyan" and near the like, quote, and reply buttons you should see something called "USBGXr1260". Click on that to download it and set it up on the wii and try to dump the game using it. If it does not work you can use a program on pc called imgburn to make a backup of the mario kart wii disc and then use a program called wiibackup manager to convert the .iso file to a .wbfs file.

Allanbuzzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, if you don't have usbloader gx then get it from here.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/page-1115

On the page look for the username "Cyan" and near the like, quote, and reply buttons you should see something called "USBGXr1260". Click on that to download it and set it up on the wii and try to dump the game using it. If it does not work you can use a program on pc called imgburn to make a backup of the mario kart wii disc and then use a program called wiibackup manager to convert the .iso file to a .wbfs file.

How do I dump my game on this program?

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do I dump my game on this program?
On the usbloader gx main menu on the far lower left hand corner you should see a plus symbol "+". Click on that and it will ask you where you want the game installed, main path, or sd path. Choose sd path.

Allanbuzzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
On the usbloader gx main menu on the far lower left hand corner you should see a plus symbol "+". Click on that and it will ask you where you want the game installed, main path, or sd path. Choose sd path.
Okay, thank you :)

But does this basically convert it into ISO? I need to make it ISO to get it working on Wiimmfi.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, thank you :)

But does this basically convert it into ISO? I need to make it ISO to get it working on Wiimmfi.
usbloader gx has a built in option to use wiimmfi or altwfc online servers without having the game be in .iso format or having the game patched.

Allanbuzzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
usbloader gx has a built in option to use wiimmfi or altwfc online servers without having the game be in .iso format or having the game patched.
So how do I choose which? Do I just go into Options, then change servers to Wiimmfi?

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So how do I choose which? Do I just go into Options, then change servers to Wiimmfi?
In the settings for each separate wii game go to "settings", "game load" and scroll down until you see the option that says "private server" and click it until it changes to "wiimmfi.de" and click save before loading up the game.

Last edited by cvskid,

Allanbuzzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
In the settings for each separate wii game go to "settings", "game load" and scroll down until you see the option that says "private server" and click it until it changes to "wiimmfi.de" and click save before loading up the game.
Okay, so I have put in the disc, followed the instructions and it said "Error: Failed to initialise the USB storage device"
I thought you said you could with an SD Card.

D

Deleted-379826

Okay, so I have put in the disc, followed the instructions and it said "Error: Failed to initialise the USB storage device"
I thought you said you could with an SD Card.
I believe you need to change a setting

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?