Hardware Miyamoto: Nintendo Didn’t Realize How Difficult Developing in HD Would Be

SolidSnake95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When it comes to the scale of software development, Wii U with HD graphics requires about twice the human resources than before. Please allow me to explain that we may have underestimated the scale of this change and as a result, the overall software development took more time than originally anticipated just as we tried to polish the software at the completion phase of development. However, we are almost out of this phase, and we are also trying to create something unique utilizing an easier development approach called “Nintendo Web Framework.”
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/130627qa/index.html

Come now Nintendo, you really had the balls to be overconfident when your predecessor died very quickly? I had a Wii, I liked it to an extent. But Nintendo should obviously get their act together. And making a framework and development tools for other developers should have been done from the gecko. With the shitty marketing and game library, Nintendo seems to show that it gives two fucks about its new system.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's "from the get-go" and "doesn't give two fucks", Huxley...
HonHRHj.jpg
Uhh... Of course! I knew that, Officer John Spartan!
Whoever gets the reference gets +5 points to taste in movies. As for the topic in question, "well d'uh" developing more complex graphics engines as well as more powerful SDK's harder than creating very basic ones.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Double the length of the sides, quadruple the area. Quadruple the number of visible pixels, increase the finite amount of detail that can be spotted per inch... but this means that the system needs to be able to handle higher-resolution textures (which have their own issue of quadrupled data for double the 'size') and higher-poly models. Not every team is good enough (or has enough time!) to make something look great without a high polycount and such.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some one just needs to go berserk and take pictures of everything and use those as all of the textures in a game.... Do the whole Mortal Kombat thing but this time in 3D. The hardware seems like it is there....

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
As for textures, polycount and what not, that is all BULLSHIT. it is bullshit. pure and simple. A game can look fantastic with low polys and low texture resolution if the ART STYLE is well thought out. And THAT takes talent and creativity that money cant buy. You need good people not good tech. Good tech can only do so much, creativity can do so much more...

in my opinion everybody whotells me graphics first is not to be taken seriously and i will not take anybody who boasts huge specs = winning serious. history showed otehrwise, human psychology does not work that way. but perhaps i am just too old, one of the old people that barely knows how to use a computer... (funny only to those who know me)

SolidSnake95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for textures, polycount and what not, that is all BULLSHIT. it is bullshit. pure and simple. A game can look fantastic with low polys and low texture resolution if the ART STYLE is well thought out. And THAT takes talent and creativity that money cant buy. You need good people not good tech. Good tech can only do so much, creativity can do so much more...

in my opinion everybody whotells me graphics first is not to be taken seriously and i will not take anybody who boasts huge specs = winning serious. history showed otehrwise, human psychology does not work that way. but perhaps i am just too old, one of the old people that barely knows how to use a computer... (funny only to those who know me)

I'm not a gfx guy, but name one game that looks good with low poly count.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not a gfx guy, but name one game that looks good with low poly count.

Believe it or not, there were games back in the day when consoles didn't pump out a billion polygons and we enjoyed them. Hell, we didn't even always HAVE polygons.

It's "from the get-go" and "doesn't give two fucks", Huxley...

Uhh... Of course! I knew that, Officer John Spartan!
Whoever gets the reference gets +5 points to taste in movies. As for the topic in question, "well d'uh" developing more complex graphics engines as well as more powerful SDK's harder than creating very basic ones.
On AMC right now.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
wind waker

as a matter of fact:
THIS
~
has less polys and less technology and lower texture resolution than
THIS
~
As somebody who does 3D modeling... that is absolute bullshit. Both appear to have the same polycount, and texture resolution seems to be the same on both.

I suggest you go try out 3D modeling to learn what things like "polycount" and "texture resolution" actually ARE.

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
Dude... I designed 3D games and released them when the PS2 was still a pipedream... So PLEASE dont tell me
I* should inform myself... How many games have YOU released?

edit:
also, i KNOW for a FACT that wind waker textures are 64*64 with soem RARE occasions being 96*96 and that the polycount is WAY lower than on comparable games from the time. and a short google search will confirm that easily for you...
edit to that: some go even up to 128*128 but those are mostly used to fill out mountains and rocks)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Dude... I designed 3D games and released them when the PS2 was still a pipedream... So PLEASE dont tell me
I* should inform myself... How many games have YOU released?

It just so happens that Wind Waker indeed has quite advanced technology powering it. It's one of the very first games which had dynamic cloth physics, dynamic grass "bending" physics which work individually for every blade, dynamic shadows, dynamic shading and frankly has a huge polycount in comparison to an average PS2 game. It also features an interesting effect where the shoes of the characters always match the floor - the soles transform according to the floor's tilt, but I'm not sure what it's called.

mPslUJB.jpg

Rydian's right, you're wrong. Fact.

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
no he isnt. the only higher poly model here is link who STILL has LESS polygons than the average COD2 soldier. COD2 also has a texture size usually TWICE as much as wind waker...

edit: combined with the fact that the PS could output a much higher polygon count than the gamecube...

SolidSnake95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It just so happens that Wind Waker indeed has quite advanced technology powering it. It's one of the very first games which had dynamic cloth physics, dynamic grass "bending" physics which are individual for every blade, dynamic shadows, dynamic shading and frankly has a huge polycount in comparison to an average PS2 game. It also features an interesting effect where the shoes of the characters always match the floor - the soles transform according to the floor's tilt, but I'm not sure what it's called.

mPslUJB.jpg

Rydian's right, you're wrong. Fact.

To be honest, I could already tell Wind Waker had a high polygon count. Given the effect I have on my pc when running it on Dolphin, Wind Waker happens to be one of the few extensive games on Gamecube.

Ezekiel is indeed wrong.

EzekielRage

Hero of the Void
Trophies
Website
www.void-comics.com
XP
Country
Australia
who gives 2 fucks how many polygons a cod soldier has gfx do not make the game they make it look pretty but gameplay is what makes the game FUN

Thats the point of this discussion...

edit:
dudes...

have a few FACTS:
Polycount LINK in WindWaker 2003: 2800
Polycount Battlefield Soldier 2002: 4096
Texture Size Wind Waker: 64-128
Texture Size Battlefield 2002: 96-256

seriously...

source:
http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/threads/23520-Historical-Poly-Counts
facts people...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.