Hacking Miss Guided New Born.

Theyrealone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, hi there, thanks for stumbling upon me, could you help? I have been looking around the internet (found this forum, thank goddess) in search for information about the 3DS and 3DS XL consoles, as I would like to purchase one.

Anyhow I was wondering about few things:

1. Could someone run me down on what I should be looking first? There is quite a lot of threads here, which may be in value for me, but I am having a hard time figuring out , which is what as I don't have any console yet at all!

2. I understood that "pirating" game to the 3DS is possible (?), but might come at the cost of bricking... The thought of bricking a piece of electronic machinery truly terrifies me, how often does it happen and how exactly can I avoid such a thing when pirating (not pirating games isn't an option for me).

Thanks and have a wonderful day!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When you say pirating a game do you mean 3ds games or DS games. DS games can be done on any of the models, the flash cart most would suggest being the supercard DSTwo. 3ds games take a tiny bit more doing.

1. There are three flavours of 3ds, soon to be a kind of fourth one
The original 3DS, still available.
The 3ds XL, a slightly larger screen/sized model
The 2DS. Screen does not shut, it does not have 3d and it is slightly cheaper (new it is about the price of a second hand 3ds) and some say slightly more uncomfortable.
The n3ds aka "New Nintendo 3DS" (the 11th of this month), as yet unreleased but coming out shortly in Japan. Nobody quite knows what is going to do as far as blocking homebrew, modding or running DS games.

Normal DS games should run on any firmware. Nintendo may block DS flash carts again in the future but that is always an option.

3ds games will need a 3ds on firmware 4.5 or lower. These can almost be found on store shelves still but it is hard, second hand is good but you have to be careful as people will often update to help out, equally if they know what firmware they have then they probably know why that is good and tend to charge extra for it. Right now some of the newest games will not run and online is always fun with them but new games should be sorted before long and online just takes effort.

3ds homebrew should work on many firmwares in the future (the exploits are being held back to test on the n3ds when it releases), right now you will want a 4.5 3ds though.

The 2ds first shipped with a firmware after 4.5 so you will not find a 2ds with a firmware that can run 3ds games.

Depending upon what you want and what you can find I would say try them and see if they work for you.

2. The gateway flash cart, the first one to run 3ds games, decided they did not like people borrowing their code and included code that would brick a 3ds when the clone/copy teams (or some homebrew devs) borrowed it to do what they did. It also go a bit out of hand and took out a few legit gateway users as well. I found that whole affair most upsetting (it was unprecedented in flash cart world) and gateway are on my shitlist because of it, they have since removed the code and unbricking methods are possible but that will require fiddling if you end up with a bricked one. On the other hand they are still the main option for running 3ds games, the other teams have not done enough that I can really suggest them.

Do also note the 3ds is region locked (Japan, North America, Europe and Australia, and I suppose technically various parts of Asia have other things), there are some workarounds if you have the 4.5 firmwares and use the exploits there but not otherwise.

Theyrealone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the answers, they help (and I did mean pirating 3DS games) but I am yet to understand.
Right now some of the newest games will not run and online is always fun with them but new games should be sorted before long and online just takes effort.
Does online play often work in games?
Where do I find the available games "list", if there is any?

they have since removed the code
Hold it a moment, Do 3ds's cannot be bricked from pirating 3ds games? *Speaking of the present and the possible similar future*

Edit: I have found someone selling a 3DS with a "crack" cartridge
http://images.yad2.co.il/Pic/201409/25/3_0/o/e3_0_1_188363_20140925170935.jpg
It says R4 something, does it Brick?
Which game are available to this cartridge meanwhile I am not having a Gateway?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
3DS games have small "header" which is supposed to be unique to every game. Most older scene dumps lacked this header and as they should be unique then sharing them in public is something some would hold to not be the best. Thus far Nintendo has not done anything but the potential is there (one does not go to the effort of adding this step to manufacture/this item to the PCB without some kind of plan).

The list is all games if you can find this header and if at the time you can do the online requirements as far as firmware goes (more on that in a moment).

The other potential problem is to run the latest games and/or do the online store you kind of need to be on the latest firmware. Now the 3ds flash carts emulate the NAND (the onboard storage) of the 3DS and have it on the 3ds' SD card instead. This means you can retain the 4.5 firmware needed for the exploit but run a version of the newer firmware needed, something that has all sorts of other benefits. At this moment in time we are waiting on some updates.

Possibility of a brick. When coupled with a NAND backup (which you will make when you set up the emulated NAND), the emulated NAND itself (it is a file on the SD card after all), the supposed removal of the code (it worked by sending a lock it down message to the NAND to stop new writes happening, new writes are necessary for this) and people generally understanding what is going on then you are pretty safe as long as you do not go messing with older versions of various exploits.

I can not quite make out the name of that cart, it is a "crack" cart (the term is usually flash cart) but it is likely a DS games only one, those never had any bricking code that would worry the 3ds. R4 by the way became something of a byword among those not in the know for DS flash carts (think sharpie when you mean permanent marker), this meant we got all sorts of carts with R4 in the name and increasingly long jumbles of letters afterwards (my favourite was when I tried to make a 5 term long satirical version of this one day and found it was actually a real cart). Typically they are not great quality but being cheap and running basically all the games the DS ever saw (it is mainly going to be the very last ones released, most of which were shovelware anyway) meant you can do worse.
If you want 3ds games then at this time it really is gateway or bust, sucks I know but hey.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
When you say pirating a game do you mean 3ds games or DS games. DS games can be done on any of the models, the flash cart most would suggest being the supercard DSTwo. 3ds games take a tiny bit more doing.

1. There are three flavours of 3ds, soon to be a kind of fourth one
The original 3DS, still available.
The 3ds XL, a slightly larger screen/sized model
The 2DS. Screen does not shut, it does not have 3d and it is slightly cheaper (new it is about the price of a second hand 3ds) and some say slightly more uncomfortable.
The n3ds aka "New Nintendo 3DS" (the 11th of this month), as yet unreleased but coming out shortly in Japan. Nobody quite knows what is going to do as far as blocking homebrew, modding or running DS games.

Normal DS games should run on any firmware. Nintendo may block DS flash carts again in the future but that is always an option.

3ds games will need a 3ds on firmware 4.5 or lower. These can almost be found on store shelves still but it is hard, second hand is good but you have to be careful as people will often update to help out, equally if they know what firmware they have then they probably know why that is good and tend to charge extra for it. Right now some of the newest games will not run and online is always fun with them but new games should be sorted before long and online just takes effort.

3ds homebrew should work on many firmwares in the future (the exploits are being held back to test on the n3ds when it releases), right now you will want a 4.5 3ds though.

The 2ds first shipped with a firmware after 4.5 so you will not find a 2ds with a firmware that can run 3ds games.

Depending upon what you want and what you can find I would say try them and see if they work for you.

2. The gateway flash cart, the first one to run 3ds games, decided they did not like people borrowing their code and included code that would brick a 3ds when the clone/copy teams (or some homebrew devs) borrowed it to do what they did. It also go a bit out of hand and took out a few legit gateway users as well. I found that whole affair most upsetting (it was unprecedented in flash cart world) and gateway are on my shitlist because of it, they have since removed the code and unbricking methods are possible but that will require fiddling if you end up with a bricked one. On the other hand they are still the main option for running 3ds games, the other teams have not done enough that I can really suggest them.

Do also note the 3ds is region locked (Japan, North America, Europe and Australia, and I suppose technically various parts of Asia have other things), there are some workarounds if you have the 4.5 firmwares and use the exploits there but not otherwise.
From what I know the bricking code isn't actually removed and still exists, it's just less prone (ie it hasn't happened AFAIK) to breaking actual Gateway cards now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1