Gaming Minecraft

Roads1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In your firewall's settings, add an exception for the minecraft server (or java itself, whichever works).

How do I do that? I got to the window that obviously allows exceptions, but I have no clue what to do since it won't let me click anything. :/

EDIT: Screenshot... [link removed]

EDIT: OHNOWIGETIT!

'NOTHER EDIT: I checked off "Public" for all the strangely-three Java listings in the window. It still won't let me connect...?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't even know what firewall software you're using, and I'm not familiar with the settings of most since a purely-software firewall on a home computer behind a router does absolutely nothing to stop outside attacks (since all incoming ports are unreachable by default and if you do need to host something it needs to go through the software firewall anyways).

If you have a router, ditch the software firewall.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
This guide I wrote is about terraria, but it's the same situation for minecraft, check it out.
http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/port-forwarding-why-and-how.44943/

If you're using a router, then by default incoming connections fail before they even reach your computer (so your software firewall is protecting against things that never even reach it). In addition when you do need to host (and thus port-forward to allow a connection to your computer), then you need to add an exception into your firewall anyways to allow the program to communicate, so in that situation as well the software firewall isn't doing anything (since it's set to not block that connection).

With the rise of routers (and gateways), software firewalls have become almost obsolete for home users since the main purpose (blocking incoming connections) is naturally accomplished with routers.

Roads1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This guide I wrote is about terraria, but it's the same situation for minecraft, check it out.
http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/port-forwarding-why-and-how.44943/

If you're using a router, then by default incoming connections fail before they even reach your computer (so your software firewall is protecting against things that never even reach it). In addition when you do need to host (and thus port-forward to allow a connection to your computer), then you need to add an exception into your firewall anyways to allow the program to communicate, so in that situation as well the software firewall isn't doing anything (since it's set to not block that connection).

With the rise of routers (and gateways), software firewalls have become almost obsolete for home users since the main purpose (blocking incoming connections) is naturally accomplished with routers.

All routers, right? Including the black NETGEAR model the size of a DVD two-pack with the big blue light on the side? (Pardon the nooby question. I still know next to nil about routers and stuff like that.)

Okay, I turned the whole thing off. Still NOTHING. AT ALL. Why on earth do I even need to set this up to "connect" to the same computer I'm using? I can see for connecting to another one in a network, but connecting to the same one...?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
All routers do NAT which means they need to have some sort of forwarding set up to allow a connection to a computer behind it.

I didn't mean for you to port forward (and you're right, it's not needed here), the reason I linked you to that guide was to show how NAT stops incoming connections (since that guide has pictures and stuff).

Again, what sort of firewall/security software? They all like to work differently and we still don't even know what you're using.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Roads1, not that I doubt your judgement, but just to double check... you're sure you're running the Minecraft server, not the Minecraft Classic server, right? (Edit - the second link is what you do not want.)

Do you mind posting the contents of your server.properties file in a spoiler, with any password information (like rcon.password) taken out?

Edit - D'oh

I can't connect to my own LAN server. It's hosted on my own computer. I made my IP static, and took the IPv4 address from the ipconfig command in the Command Prompt and put it in Server.properties. When I try to connect, it says can't reach server. All my search results are for public servers, not LAN ones.

What on earth is wrong, and why is nothing I try working, even though it apparently works for everyone else?

Take out the internal ip from the server-ip= field, just leave it blank. That ought to fix it.

For reference, the one for my web-accessible server looks like this:

#Minecraft server properties
#Sat Mar 10 01:27:20 EST 2012
allow-nether=true
level-name=world
enable-query=true
allow-flight=false
rcon.password=........
server-port=25565
query.port=25565
level-type=DEFAULT
enable-rcon=false
level-seed=
server-ip=
max-build-height=256
spawn-npcs=true
white-list=false
debug=false
spawn-animals=true
online-mode=true
pvp=true
difficulty=2
server-name=sicklycraft.com
gamemode=0
max-players=20
rcon.port=25575
spawn-monsters=true
view-distance=15
generate-structures=true
motd=v1.2.4 CraftBukkit++\! www.sicklycraft.com

Roads1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just type localhost now? Still nothing. 127.0.0.1 didn't work either. :/

Here's my Server.PROPERTIES:

Code:
#Minecraft server properties
#Tue Jun 19 13:07:05 EDT 2012
allow-nether=true
level-name=Minecrafton
enable-query=false
allow-flight=true
server-port=25565
level-type=DEFAULT
enable-rcon=false
level-seed=lostlostlost
server-ip=
max-build-height=256
spawn-npcs=true
white-list=false
spawn-animals=true
online-mode=false
pvp=true
difficulty=1
gamemode=0
max-players=5
spawn-monsters=true
generate-structures=true
view-distance=5
motd=A Town of Minecraftia

There was no rcon-password there. :huh:

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, for now, localhost or 127.0.0.1 are what you want to enter in your direct connect window.

What does the server output when it starts up? Close the server, open it again, wait for it to start idling (When it says "[INFO] Done (5.687s)! For help, type "help" or "?""). If you're running it without the GUI and through a batch script instead, wait for it to idle, single left-click the icon in the top left corner of the server window, click Edit -> Mark, then drag a box starting in the top left around all of the console output. Hit enter to copy it to the clipboard, then paste it into a reply.

Roads1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have Minecraft Server.exe. Is that the GUI version?

I'm assuming that's what you mean by closing and opening "the server."

Roads1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So then what do I do when it idles?

EDIT: If that in itself should get it working, then it doesn't.

Roads1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is exactly what it said:

Code:
[INFO] Starting minecraft server version 1.2.5
[INFO] Loading properties
[INFO] Starting Minecraft server on *:25565
[WARNING] **** SERVER IS RUNNING IN OFFLINE/INSECURE MODE!
[WARNING] The server will make no attempt to authenticate usernames. Beware.
[WARNING] While this makes the game possible to play without internet access, it also opens up the ability for hackers to connect with any username they choose.
[WARNING] To change this, set "online-mode" to "true" in the server.settings file.
[INFO] Preparing level "Minecrafton"
[INFO] Default game type: 0
[INFO] Preparing start region for level 0
[INFO] Preparing spawn area: 16%
[INFO] Preparing spawn area: 48%
[INFO] Preparing spawn area: 73%
[INFO] Preparing spawn area: 93%
[INFO] Done (5.173s)! For help, type "help" or "?"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users