Minecraft maker reveals new 'hard science-fiction' game

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by shakirmoledina, Apr 5, 2012.

Apr 5, 2012

shakirmoledina Legend

Message Count:
    Tanzania
    Interesting or over-hyped? Still very early and i expect it to come out with GTA 5.

Source

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Let's see if he actually develops some real 3D graphics for it, instead of leaving programmer graphics in place.

Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

Message Count:
    United States
    Considering he's hired artists (Junkboy and Bomb Boy...Kind of funny since they both have boy at the end of their user names...There might be other artists as well, but those are the two I know), it's safe to say that he will. Although this seems to be more of a personal project of his rather than something all of Mojang is working on (Like Scrolls), it might become more of a Mojang-developed game later, like with Minecraft.

Minecraft's graphics probably weren't changed to please fans. I wouldn't have wanted to see them change either...That's what texture packs are for.

Fredrica Bernkastel Twitter: @antoligy

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    So he's copying Space Pirates And Zombies and adding in Dwarf Fortress' features, as opposed to Infiniminer?

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    IIRC, he let his graphical artist for Minecraft go, citing "creative differences"
    It looked like the character models for the miner were supposed to be better, but probably left as they were because they were so easy to texture.

TehSkull Addict

Message Count:
    United States
    Oh dear. I'm very worried for this "game." I think it will end up lost in meta.

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

Message Count:
    United States
    Funny considering they can change everything else or implement half-assed features and the fans are "pleased" but touch those horrible graphics by adding an interesting art style? Well that's a bridge too far!

Thought I'd also add that the game is subscription based. HAVE FUN GUYS.
    1 people like this.

Message Count:
    United States
    Changing how a game looks is a lot different than adding new features. Besides, a lot of people don't have a problem with the graphics. We know you hate Minecraft, Notch, and anything associated with either, so I don't even know why you bother posting in threads related to them (Among other subjects).

Also, it says the game will most likely have a monthly fee in the second sentence of the article in the OP. Guess reading isn't one of your better traits (As if you had any to began with).
    1 people like this.

Message Count:
    United States
    I just felt like pointing it out because it seemed rather important.
    • Reporter

Foxi4 You've got rookie eyes... or something!

Message Count:
    Poland
    Never understood the Minecraft appeal and as much as the plot sounds interesting, the moment I've read the title Notch came up with and, well, that it's made by him, I lost all interest. I have a feeling that this will be another "artistic vision" of his that'll appeal only to the "omg! Indie!" crowd, hardly a refined game I'd be interested in. Also, he and his team came up with a rather interesting plot and what do they do with it? They focus on pseudo-programming a 16-bit pseudo-computer, well done. That, and I would've expect a bit more than a SNES running a bloody space ship. The scription fees for a game that will likely remain in a constant beta stage limbo for most of its life cycle are the last nails to the coffin, rest in peace, my interest in this game. Your life was short and uneventful.
    1 people like this.
    • Banned

Valwin The Neautral Gamer

Message Count:
    United States

they werent change because they were lazy and people eat it up

Message Count:
    United States
    Is it sad that I was actually hoping you'd come to this thread to troll up the Minecraft diehards until they want to (here comes the pun) knock your block off?
    1 people like this.

EyeZ New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Very important as far as i'm concerned, i would never pay a monthly fee to be able to play a game, no matter how good the game is.

Message Count:
    United States
    It's an MMO. MMOs typically have recurring fees.

Message Count:
    United States
    Funny considering a lot of MMOs are beginning to abandon that "recurring fee" structure.
    1 people like this.

EyeZ New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    That's why i don't play em

Message Count:
    United States
    Also the only MMOs I played really were Runescape (which was basically "freemium" and I did pay $5/month for years to be a member) and Guild Wars (which never had a monthly fee and it just charged $50 for completely new campaigns every year, which was worth it). Although I did spend over $200 on Guild Wars between the three campaigns, one expansion, and additional character slots.

Still, a lot of MMOs are going towards microtransactions and freemium rather than an old pay-to-play model.

jrk190 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    If they do a one-time payment, then people are more likely to buy this game. I actually did away with my 360 and Xbox live so that I can get a Playstation. in the long run, it's cheaper (If people don't hack my account.) I'm tired of subscription fees.
    • Reporter

Foxi4 You've got rookie eyes... or something!

Message Count:
    Poland
    I absolutely agree with Guild here, nobody should be asked to pay monthly for a game that was already bought in a store - only new content for games should be subject of payment. If someone wants some extra items then sure, micropayment time, but make those items worth the money.

If some companies can afford to release free-to-download MMO's fueled solely by micropayments I don't see why monthly payments are still a "viable option" for developers.

tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Hmm. Should be interesting how he rides off the success of Minecraft into this game
SPONSORED LINKS