Homebrew Minecraft DS (in 3D !)

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Smealum, maybe you're angry about me, but it seems really a bit like that. It sounds a bit like the current 3ds hacking scene with the crown3ds and so one. No one can prove anything (you are just saying stuff) but everyone is saying that he made it. I wouldn't say that I don't belive you but it's a bit striking.
I can't say wether you're working for a compo at your current project or not.

nixshadow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Smealum, maybe you're angry about me, but it seems really a bit like that. It sounds a bit like the current 3ds hacking scene with the crown3ds and so one. No one can prove anything (you are just saying stuff) but everyone is saying that he made it. I wouldn't say that I don't belive you but it's a bit striking.

Out of those five sentences, only one made sense, or even had the correct wording structure to make a sentence.

nixshadow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of those five sentences, only one made sense, or even had the correct wording structure to make a sentence.
Sorry, but I'm not a native speaker. What's the point of comparing wording structure and the reason why smealum doesn't continue dscraft?
Well the only reason I mentioned it was because you didn't technically ask that.
All you seemed to be doing was blaming someone for not doing something they don't have to.

Reactions: 1 person

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Well believing me or not is up to you I guess, but what I really don't get is why you'd even care about this. Yes, I try to make a little money with my homebrew, I've never hidden that fact. Do you think that makes me some sort of disgrace to the "scene" ? Competitions only serve as incentives to do better and actually wrap up projects. Every single project I've worked on I did because I wanted to, not for money. (except yeti browser, but that was a joke) and even if that weren't true, what the hell kind of a difference would it make to you ? What is that "sense of homebrew" you mentioned ? Is it developers living like monks and catering to everyone on the Internet's every whim ? I don't think so. Homebrew is made by people in their free time. We have tons of other shit to worry about and believe me, we love making you guys happy. I'd love to just come up with survival mode and watch everyone weep in joy (ok that might be a slight exaggeration). But that's not how it works. If I'm going to be doing this stuff in my spare time, I'd at least like it to be interesting to me. As such, my people-pleasing skills are limited.
In the end, I don't really care what you think of me; obviously, you're entitled to whatever opinion. I wouldn't mind understanding why you're trying to come after me personally, but maybe you don't even know yourself. If you're trying to "expose" me though, then maybe you should save yourself the trouble. I'm sure tons of people have noticed I participate in competitions all the time; they just don't care. And really, why would they ?

Reactions: 2 people

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
1. Every single project I've worked on I did because I wanted to, not for money. (except yeti browser, but that was a joke) and even if that weren't true, what the hell kind of a difference would it make to you ? 2. What is that "sense of homebrew" you mentioned ?
3. I wouldn't mind understanding why you're trying to come after me personally, but maybe you don't even know yourself.
1: A guy said that you'll maybe continue with DSCraft if we donate enough money. I said him that he is wrong but it looks a bit like that.
2: At my opinion homebrew is homemade software by a developer without the most important goal to earn money (it's usually nice to earn a bit money). But it's sad that so many projects died.
3: Maybe someone can find a way to motivate you again. It's a bit connected with my first point.

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
1. Every single project I've worked on I did because I wanted to, not for money. (except yeti browser, but that was a joke) and even if that weren't true, what the hell kind of a difference would it make to you ? 2. What is that "sense of homebrew" you mentioned ?
3. I wouldn't mind understanding why you're trying to come after me personally, but maybe you don't even know yourself.
1: A guy said that you'll maybe continue with DSCraft if we donate enough money. I said him that he is wrong but it looks a bit like that.
2: At my opinion homebrew is homemade software by a developer without the most important goal to earn money (it's usually nice to earn a bit money). But it's sad that so many projects died.
3: Maybe someone can find a way to motivate you again. It's a bit connected with my first point.
Holy crap, so you're basing your opinion of me on what someone said of me, without actually knowing anything ? what the hell happened to "No one can prove anything (you are just saying stuff)" ? Have I ever implied I wouldn't continue the project if people didn't donate, or even that donations would make me work on it more ? I removed the paypal link from this thread almost a year ago. Not to mention that I regularly get emails from people who like the game suggesting they might donate, and I always tell them it won't get me back to work on DScraft. You can ask [member='sisyphus'], who asked me if donating would get me to make that converter he's been wanting :

At any rate, no need for you to donate, it won't make me work any faster.
or from replies to mails I've been getting over the last year :

Anyway, no need to make any donations; I've stopped working on this project a while ago now.

Also, no need to donate ! I appreciate the thought, but given that I haven't worked on the game in a year I don't think I deserve it.
...and the list goes on.
Now of course I can't prove any of this is true as I'm not going to make private conversations public, but at this point if you'll believe some stranger over me on something like this, it just seems more like bad faith on your part than anything. Again, you're entitled to your opinion, but this is kind of frustrating.

Reactions: 4 people

sisyphus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I offered to donate for a map converter. Smealum declined. Hardly the behaviour of a money-hungry developer. Don't think that all of us think the same Smealum. I for one do not want a survival mode and have had many hours of fun on a game I did not pay for. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is grateful for your excellent little game. There are always users who will whine if things don't work out exactly the way they want and don't realise you don't owe us anything. I suggest developing a cyanogen rom for a phone that is no-longer supported. Another thankless task. Ha. Good luck and peace out.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Holy crap, so you're basing your opinion of me on what someone said of me, without actually knowing anything ? what the hell happened to "No one can prove anything (you are just saying stuff)" ? Have I ever implied I wouldn't continue the project if people didn't donate, or even that donations would make me work on it more ? I removed the paypal link from this thread almost a year ago. Not to mention that I regularly get emails from people who like the game suggesting they might donate, and I always tell them it won't get me back to work on DScraft.
I wouldn't say something like that without reflecting it but... it seems/ seemed a bit like that. I'm not checking the first thread often so that I didn't realized that you disabled the donation function and it's still avaible at your website. In addition, you took part at the compo and you've stopped your project after you won. You said that a part of the code isn't very good written (due to the time pressure of the compo).
You took part at the latest compo with the FPS maker and you were a bit disappointed about the result.

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
Holy crap, so you're basing your opinion of me on what someone said of me, without actually knowing anything ? what the hell happened to "No one can prove anything (you are just saying stuff)" ? Have I ever implied I wouldn't continue the project if people didn't donate, or even that donations would make me work on it more ? I removed the paypal link from this thread almost a year ago. Not to mention that I regularly get emails from people who like the game suggesting they might donate, and I always tell them it won't get me back to work on DScraft.
I wouldn't say something like that without reflecting it but... it seems/ seemed a bit like that. I'm not checking the first thread often so that I didn't realized that you disabled the donation function and it's still avaible at your website. In addition, you took part at the compo and you've stopped your project after you won. You said that a part of the code isn't very good written (due to the time pressure of the compo).
You took part at the latest compo with the FPS maker and you were a bit disappointed about the result.
Well of course I was disappointed; FPSM is missing a ton of features before it's *really* usable. That doesn't mean I abandoned it. This particular case is kind of weird because I'm not actually working on FPSM itself much these days; I'm mostly working on a game that uses FPSM's engine (portal DS). That means there probably won't be any FPSM update before I get to upgrading the editor for portal, which will probably be in a month or two. I talked about that here : http://gbatemp.net/topic/333051-ds-fps-maker/page__pid__4431593__st__45#entry4431593
I'm not quite sure what it is you're trying to say though. I mean, my other points would still stand even if I had stopped working on FPSM completely. Oh well.

Lemmy Koopa

M3 Perfect fanboy
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I know the feeling of being burnt out on a project. I don't do DS homebrew but I program and design games. I love the projects but I just don't know where to go with them at the point, and I end up not touching it for a good while until I'm inspired to do so again.

Anyways, I'm glad this even exists. I love Minecraft and seeing it available on one of my favorite handhelds (DS and GBA) really made me happy. I still can't get it to work with my M3 but maybe someday I'll get a DSTwo or something and try it there.
Thanks smealum.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm not quite sure what it is you're trying to say though. I mean, my other points would still stand even if I had stopped working on FPSM completely. Oh well.
I try to say it a bit different.
I won't say that you're working to make money because someone else said it.
You mentioned that you have disabled the donation button at the first post, but it's still at your homepage (http://www.smealum.net/dscraft). In addition, I don't read the first post often so that I havn't seen that you've disabled the donation function. That's the most important fact.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You mentioned that you have disabled the donation button at the first post, but it's still at your homepage (http://www.smealum.net/dscraft). In addition, I don't read the first post often so that I havn't seen that you've disabled the donation function. That's the most important fact.
So what if he is taking donations? What if he gives the option for the users of his homebrew to give him a token of their appreciation and spare a buck for all the time and effort he poured into his projects for nothing except the gratification upon success they gave him? How is that a bad thing?

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
So what if he is taking donations? What if he gives the option for the users of his homebrew to give him a token of their appreciation and spare a buck for all the time and effort he poured into his projects for nothing except the gratification upon success they gave him? How is that a bad thing?
Pretty much this. I actually first put the donation button up because people wanted to donate (crazy, right ?).
When I mentioned the fact that I removed the donation button from the thread (and my sig, I think I may have had one there at some point), it was purely to show that I'm doing all this in good faith and that I'm not some sort of money hungry developer, I never meant to say that I disabled donations. If people really want to give me money, I'm not going to stop them. I just don't want anyone thinking that donating will somehow bring the project back to life; that's why I regularly discourage people from donating to me in emails.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Pretty much this. I actually first put the donation button up because people wanted to donate (crazy, right ?).
When I mentioned the fact that I removed the donation button from the thread (and my sig, I think I may have had one there at some point), it was purely to show that I'm doing all this in good faith and that I'm not some sort of money hungry developer, I never meant to say that I disabled donations. If people really want to give me money, I'm not going to stop them. I just don't want anyone thinking that donating will somehow bring the project back to life; that's why I regularly discourage people from donating to me in emails.
Dead project is dead - you said it once, there's no reason at all to say it twice.

As for the confused parties... Donations are made to the coder - not for a project, not for a cause - to the coder, as tokens of appreciation for his/her hard work. People should *get* that - donating does not mean commissioning, those two words are worlds apart. Donators do not send money to commission a particular project to be made - they donate money to the coder with no specific intent unless it is specified otherwise on the donation page. It does not entail any kind of further commitment from the coder.

I think it's horrible that after all you've done for the community, you still have to dodge bullets like this. I hope that future readers of this post and your earlier explaination will take both to heart and will not beg you with puppy eyes to do something that you are no longer interested it - it's abusive to say the least.

Reactions: 1 person

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
That's not exactly what I ment. Let's forget it.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Does DSTwo work with this application?
Yes. It works with the FAT and with the NITRO version. But you can find a list of working flashcards at the unofficial dscraft forum and at the DSCraft Wiki.

smea are you going to work on this a little after portal/fps maker?
He said two times that he might continue dscraft:
Smealum said:
i think i might actually make a new version of dscraft after portal
Smealum said:
i have some ideas to get real time world generation working on the DS
Smealum said:
and infinite worlds and all that crap

Technicmaster0 said:
good news

Smealum said:
not really
Smealum said:
as i said, it'd be after portal, so in a while
Smealum said:
and it'll most likely fail
Smealum said:
but it could be interesting

and he said it again some hours later:

YoshiInAVoid said:
Are you still working on that Minecraft port?
YoshiInAVoid said:
Or have you moved on?

Smealum said:
there's that portal DS project, then some stuff i'd like to do on the GBA
Smealum said:
and then maybe that new dscraft with infinite worlds thing

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    they be like which lite firefox exe pls
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wut.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    GM all
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    butt
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    douche
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Touché.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want...