Hardware Migles quest for a new computer

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
My 10 years old machine just fried the second cpu which I bought this year (cpu costed 25 bucks was a dual core 2) (used it for gbatemp.net mostly lol)

It's time to get a machine for gaming, I have about 600 euros.
My focus now is just having the base machine, that means for now I will get just the cpu, mobo and ram sticks.

RAM is peace of cake Ddr4 8 or 16 gb (my computer habits is have the minimum opened, so this amount should more than enough) probably Will go with Kingston fury

Cpu, I heard people talking about the best price-ratio is the i5 6600k (please correct if it's the wrong one)
I want to go with intel, lga1151

Motherboard is what I don't know what to choose,
This is what I know: I will have a unlocked cpu, so a mobo with overclock functions would be the ideal...
I always had Asus mobos because they tend to last years non stop
I want USB 3.1 all the way (if that's the current last version) having just 2 USB 2.0 ports for legacy is nice. But I don't need more than 2 of theese)
My router is next to my desk, so Lan ports I must have,
integrated wifi+Bluetooth would be cool to connect with my phone and to make an access point for plenty of stuff, however this is not required
Old ports like an hybrid mouse and keyboard would be cool so I don't need to get an adapter in case I scavenge old keyboards or mouses
Support to have USB 3 and audio ports in the front (I think this is the normal. Now?)
Surround 5.1 ports (some boards just have audio out and 2 in)

This is a specific issue I have, I live in a rural area, not so far from sea, so there is a lot of humidity and dust..
And this is why I need to choose a good cooling system... I hate noisy fans.. And after 1 month my old pc gathered a considered amount of dust... Need constantly cleaning it inside..
So I was thinking, what about a water cooling system or something like that?
I need something quiet, that doesn't gather dust like a romba and effective to overclock it...

Power unit and GPU
I will gather money to get a good graphics card later, for now I will use Intel graphics just fine or the old 20 bucks gpu I had for Internet and basic stuff
The power unit and atx I will use the one from my old pc temporary as well

The hdd, will also use the one I had before, maybe I get one of those msata ssd for cache to speed this up..
Stand alone ssd to put OS +hdd for data is not worth in my opinion.. Windows boots really fast already (5-10 seconds) however I could use a caching drive to speed up games loading

Final remark, is there a USB multi card reader with tilted top loading? So I could really easily insert and remove micro SD cards and alike? In my old computer it was tedious to find the right hole, and I was thinking in getting something I can have in my table looking at me

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
If you really are from Trinidad and Tobago, I think the main issue will be getting the parts at the right price? Won't it?

Anyway, I think the i5 6600K is a good idea though it might be worthwhile to wait till its prices drop while it's replaced by the 7600K obv. Alternately, you could opt for a cheaper 6400 and BCLK OC it, achieve near 6600K performance levels and save some good bucks there over the future price cut.
I think any Asus Z170 mobo makes the cut, just get the most affordable one. You're pretty much set on RAM and storage choices. I think you should opt for a case like the NZXT S340 which has fully filtered air intakes and then go for a good air cooler like the Noctua DH15, since AIOs have a limited lifespan.

What type of graphics power do you want? This will in fact affect your cpu choice. A GTX1050 with a 6600k would be joke. If you get the 6600K or BCLK OC a 6400 or 6500, get at least a GTX1060 or RX480.

Reactions: RaMon90

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
If you really are from Trinidad and Tobago, I think the main issue will be getting the parts at the right price? Won't it?

Anyway, I think the i5 6600K is a good idea though it might be worthwhile to wait till its prices drop while it's replaced by the 7600K obv. Alternately, you could opt for a cheaper 6400 and BCLK OC it, achieve near 6600K performance levels and save some good bucks there over the future price cut.
I think any Asus Z170 mobo makes the cut, just get the most affordable one. You're pretty much set on RAM and storage choices. I think you should opt for a case like the NZXT S340 which has fully filtered air intakes and then go for a good air cooler like the Noctua DH15, since AIOs have a limited lifespan.

What type of graphics power do you want? This will in fact affect your cpu choice. A GTX1050 with a 6600k would be joke. If you get the 6600K or BCLK OC a 6400 or 6500, get at least a GTX1060 or RX480.
Thanks for the reply, it is a good one!
Not from tobacco, anyway I will buy from Amazon Spain shouldn't be a issue
I just has a chat in shout box where Tom a dildo told me that the Kaby Lake got released, will wait for the 6600k to drop price..
I will try to save 400 bucks or more for the gpu some months later , maybe I get the gtx1060..
I forgot To Say I will go with Nvidia for the gpu, I had experience with ati/amd in the past and I had better experience Nvidia..
For now I will just get the base machine so I can just insert in the gpu when I have enough saved for it

AIO means water cooling right? To be honest I also don't like the idea to put water in it.. but I need something quiet as possible (not sure if I would hear the water anyway, I seen computers making bubble noise but they were full of leds and not sure if the sound was for show)

Will I need termic paste as well?

Last edited by migles,

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you can wait for amd zen, maybe you can see price drops or even get zen if it's nice.
From what i heard the kaby lake is just 5% faster than skylake, that's because there's no competition.
If you need the pc early, i5 6600k is the option for gaming and you need a good cpu cooler for it.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
USB3.1 is not implemented in the Skylake chipset so you would either have to find a motherboard with support for USB3.1 or wait for the next generation of Intel chipset which should have native USB3.1 support.

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
USB3.1 is not implemented in the Skylake chipset so you would either have to find a motherboard with support for USB3.1 or wait for the next generation of Intel chipset which should have native USB3.1 support.
I was just searching about that, it seems current mobos have 1 or 2 USB 3.1 ports.. (at least ones that I seen)
However something I couldn't find is, do USB 3.1 ports accept USB 1.1 devices? Not that I need it, just curious.
But USB 3.1 devices can be plugged in lets say a USB 2 port right?
As long stuff is compatible with each other I care less with the speeds..

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I was just searching about that, it seems current mobos have 1 or 2 USB 3.1 ports.. (at least ones that I seen)
However something I couldn't find is, do USB 3.1 ports accept USB 1.1 devices? Not that I need it, just curious.
But USB 3.1 devices can be plugged in lets say a USB 2 port right?
As long stuff is compatible with each other I care less with the speeds..
Most USB devices should be compatible, but there are a few exceptions that aren't.

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
If your old computer has fried two CPUs so far, I'd hold your PSU suspect. I'd be a little leery about using it with a new system - even temporarily. But I concede a good one is pretty pricey.
Thanks for the warning, I will consider it..
Anyway I suspect it's the old mobo that had issues... The cat peed on it when I had the case opened.. That fried the first cpu, my relative cleaned the board but one month later second cpu died, probably air humidity or power cuts...
But thanks for the warning..
I hope a 600 watts one or less will do fine, I can't have loads of stuff ON at same time in this old house I will have also to invest later in a backup battery.. Since power cuts are frequent here

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's not really about watt, more like about brand and certification which are bronze, silver and gold +80. Good brands that i know like xfx, seasonic and evga, so spending more cash on psu is the best.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's not really about watt, more like about brand and certification which are bronze, silver and gold +80. Good brands that i know like xfx, seasonic and evga, so spending more cash on psu is the best.
I would second this suggestion. The PSU is the one thing you don't skimp out on in a computer build since if that goes bad everything else might fry.

Reactions: migles

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Was referring to watts, because I can't have a huge PSU that shuts down my house power... I can't go higher than 600 watts sucking from the grid and that is really pushing, otherwise when my mother turns several appliances on, it shuts down the grid
Shitty old house with old electric system..

I will go With Evga, heard good about that brand, and will get a Evga Nvidia as well..

Thank you all for the info

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
NZXT S340 which has fully filtered air intakes

Just checked that case and wow.. 70 euros for it... That's too much for a case...
Is there something cheaper? I don't care about prettiness, I may use my old case if I do t find something worth the bucks.. it's full of rust but I can scrub it and paint over
Rather save the 70 bucks into the PSU for example

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Was referring to watts, because I can't have a huge PSU that shuts down my house power... I can't go higher than 600 watts sucking from the grid and that is really pushing, otherwise when my mother turns several appliances on, it shuts down the grid
Shitty old house with old electric system..

I will go With Evga, heard good about that brand, and will get a Evga Nvidia as well..

Thank you all for the info
I understand, I think it won't use more than 450 watt during gaming. 550/600 watt should be fine, unless you want to use 2 gpu's.
I have seasonic 520, I can even add nvidia 1080 but it's useless for my i5 6500.

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Just checked that case and wow.. 70 euros for it... That's too much for a case...
Is there something cheaper? I don't care about prettiness, I may use my old case if I do t find something worth the bucks.. it's full of rust but I can scrub it and paint over
Rather save the 70 bucks into the PSU for example
Check out the Corsair Carbide Spec 01 and 02, they have front and PSU intake dust filters. Get something like an EVGA 600B and you'll be set. No actually get a modular or atleast semi modular PSU. When do you plan to make the upgrades?

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Check out the Corsair Carbide Spec 01 and 02, they have front and PSU intake dust filters. Get something like an EVGA 600B and you'll be set. No actually get a modular or atleast semi modular PSU. When do you plan to make the upgrades?
Which upgrades?

Modular psu are just psu with removable cables right? I have no issue with cables, I may just tape them somewhere in the case or something..

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 80+ certification doesnt mean one psu will be more reliable than another, say a titanium vs bronze, it refers to power efficiency.
And yes it is about wattage (and amperage), if you buy a 450w psu and try to use it for a high end gaming pc you are going to run into problems.

Last edited by Joe88,

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
And yes it is about wattage (and amperage), if you buy a 450w psu and try to use it for a high end gaming pc you are going to run jnto problems.
Yeah at the begining i should've replaced "really" with "only". For the 80+ i forgot about platinum, what matters for OP is a good brand and the necessary watt. He probably already knew this, my post was useless for him.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That would've gone slow he's old +1