Hardware Microsoft: Xbox One is worth $100 more than PS4

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a load of crock; the Xbone is not worth a hundred dollars more than the PS4. The marketing executives don't have any choice in this matter: if they want to keep their jobs for Microsoft, then they'll promote this crock. If they don't, I'm sure Sony won't have a problem hiring these people who believe the PS4 is superior to the Xbone.

But as it stands right now, they're caught in a vicious cycle. They have to say this or say nothing at all. I can't believe Microsoft would treat their employees like that; I guess we've got a reason to call them Microcrap now.

Edit.

Fun fact: Mr. Penello says the phrase "I think" exactly 7 times; I think he's trying the if-you-say-it-so-many-times-then-it-becomes-true routine. I think it's pathetic, but it's just my opinion.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
He says that the games are way better, and with all the features such as Kinect, also with better online service. He says its a better system than the PS4.

As I said in another thread, thinking that games in any way glorify the actual system itself is like thinking a poem glorifies a sheet of toilet paper it was written on. No. It's toilet paper. The poem's nice, but the paper itself is still toilet paper. Moreover, that statement in itself is debatable since it's relying entirely on taste - frankly I didn't enjoy "Ryse" also known as "Press X to Win Instead of Actually Fighting People: Rome Edition" and I don't know many gamers who did.

The Kinect statement is a satire in itself in terms of gaming unless Microsoft has wisened up and will encourage using it as an addition to the standard controller, not a controller in its own right unless we're talking about minigames or games for kids.

The "better Online service" argument highly depends on what he meant by that. If he meant the infrastructure, its failure rate, ease of connection etc. then yes, Live is at the helm of all console-oriented online services... if he meant value though, it's been beaten by PSN the moment Instant Game Collection was introduced and their free 360 titles aren't going to help much when PSPlus stretches across all of Sony's systems including the PS4.

As for the "better system" claim, if he means what's actually inside of the box then he's full of it since we already know the specs of both systems and the XBox One is simply "worse", even if narrowly so. If he means the system as the hardware and the ecosystem around it then I'm afraid that remains to be seen and can only be gauged post-release once we all get a hands-on with them and get to try out all the new features ourselves.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just gonna leave this here...

ps4vx111.png

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I will pick a PS4, it has Kingdom Hearts!!!!!!

No... seriously, I will decide wich one to pick once both are released, I'll try them in my retail store first, but my prime option is the PS4 for sure :D.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
As I said in another thread, thinking that games in any way glorify the actual system itself is like thinking a poem glorifies a sheet of toilet paper it was written on. No. It's toilet paper. The poem's nice, but the paper itself is still toilet paper.
Erm...do you mind telling me a link to that thread? As it stands here, that analogy makes no sense whatsoever (a poem has no relationship with toilet paper other than "it can be used for it". By that analogy, games should be an almost random little extra that you can use your console for...which isn't exactly true), but I don't want to be blamed for trolling a second time in the same thread. :unsure:

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Erm...do you mind telling me a link to that thread? As it stands here, that analogy makes no sense whatsoever (a poem has no relationship with toilet paper other than "it can be used for it". By that analogy, games should be an almost random little extra that you can use your console for...which isn't exactly true), but I don't want to be blamed for trolling a second time in the same thread. :unsure:

Well it might just be toilet paper, but a piece of paper with "The Raven" on it is somewhat more valuable than something you wrote yourself (although your poetry writing skills aren't horrible; just an example). And then there are other pieces of toilet paper that have short stories on them - or witty quotes, etc. And the more types of these things that are on the toilet paper, the more the value of the toilet on which they are used will increase.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Of course the analogy makes sense - a poem doesn't make toilet roll quality paper similarly how a game can't make bad hardware good.
Well it might just be toilet paper, but a piece of paper with "The Raven" on it is somewhat more valuable than something you wrote yourself (although your poetry writing skills aren't horrible; just an example). And then there are other pieces of toilet paper that have short stories on them - or witty quotes, etc. And the more types of these things that are on the toilet paper, the more the value of the toilet on which they are used will increase.

See, this is upside-down thinking for me. It's not the toilet roll that's in any way more valuable than any other toilet roll - it's "The Raven" that's good. The toilet roll remains (literally) crap quality paper that's only good enough to wipe your bum with.

In fact, "The Raven" would be even better if it was printed on quality paper in book form - while "The Raven" itself would remain the same, the letters would have more definition, the print would be more readable and the format would be far more comfortable to read.

Similarly a good game is good in its own right but it doesn't make the system any better - it's just a good game. If the hardware is holding it back then it's really a shame...

...and then we run into the problem of exclusive titles which add artificial value to hardware where there isn't any when for all intents and purposes they don't make the hardware any better or worse - they just narrow down the target audience and allow hardware manufacturers to slack off since "people will buy it for game X" anyways.

"The Raven" might be a good piece, but if I have an option of buying it in a tome of poetry or on a piece of toilet roll then I'll invest my money in a tome - you guys can carry on reading "toilet scrolls" if that's what you fancy. :)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Of course the analogy makes sense - a poem doesn't make toilet roll quality paper similarly how a game can't make bad hardware good.
Honestly...I have no idea if you're being ironic in this sentence, but just in case you're serious, here's my reply:

The quality of any given object is determined with the intended use the object has. In the case of toilet paper, it's smoothness of the paper, easy to cut yet hard to accidentally rip through. Even without having to go into nasty details, I think we both know what makes for a good quality roll of paper and a bad one. And indeed: it makes zero difference what's written on the paper (unless the ink comes off, obviously).

However, in the case of a console, the intended use is to play games on it. As such, a console with more and better games is, rightfully so, considered good quality. While it's certainly true that microsoft is trying to throw more arguments on the table that should make a console better ASIDE from the games, but we all know that in the end, it's about the games on the system (see also: wiiu's reception).

Reactions: NEP

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
However, in the case of a console, the intended use is to play games on it. As such, a console with more and better games is, rightfully so, considered good quality. While it's certainly true that microsoft is trying to throw more arguments on the table that should make a console better ASIDE from the games, but we all know that in the end, it's about the games on the system (see also: wiiu's reception).
Your mind is stuck in the nineties - the times when a video game console's only intended use was playing video games are in a distant past. The hardware within the system has to reflect the times - it has to be relevant to developers to spur even the slightest bit of interest, it has to give wiggle room and it has to last. These days a console is more than just a video game system - it's a media hub. At the end of the day, whatever box you buy is going to sit by your TV for the next ten or so years and the more it does and the more efficiently it performs the better. The hardware has to reflect that cycle and has to remain relevant throughout these ten years, not only for you as a consumer but also the developers.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your mind is stuck in the nineties - the times when a video game console's only intended use was playing video games are in a distant past. The hardware within the system has to reflect the times - it has to be relevant to developers to spur even the slightest bit of interest, it has to give wiggle room and it has to last. These days a console is more than just a video game system - it's a media hub. At the end of the day, whatever box you buy is going to sit by your TV for the next ten or so years and the more it does and the more efficiently it performs the better. The hardware has to reflect that cycle and has to remain relevant throughout these ten years, not only for you as a consumer but also the developers.
Oh my god, toilet paper analogies... :O It's hard for me to accept that game consoles aren't exclusively for games anymore, despite what their title is. It's become your cable box and computer in addition to all its other features. Just like I have my movie players, my game consoles, etc.; those people have them rolled into one. So technically it's not a game console anymore; it's an entertainment box - a really complex entertainment box.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
pretty much objectively speaking, sony had better exclusives. other than that there were pretty much no differences between them. so $100 more because the "games are better" isn't even a good argument for the Xbone.
Lol do you know what objective means?

I prefer Xbox live to PSN. Yes I know PS+ gives you discounts and free games, but the games I want, I buy as soon as they hit the shelves. Everything else available for free or discount later on PS+, I'm not interested.

I usually own both consoles, as I don't want to miss any exclusives. but I don't think I can do that this gen, as I won't pay for two online services. I'll have to wait to see how well improved the new PSN is. If it's on-par with Xbox Live, I'll buy the PS4 as it has better hardware, and is cheaper. If it can't match Xbox Live, I'll buy the XBone.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm just gonna leave this here...

ps4vx111.png

No offense, but what a pile of crap. It's not that its wrong data, it's just that it says it's un-biased, but it's completely biased.
It lists many things the PS4 has, that the Xbone doesn't, great job. Some of those mentions are pretty redundant yet listed seperately (discounts on games, discounts on content, free trials) (subscription for gameplay videos, social apps, and F2P). Also many other things that are pretty insignificant, seemed to be cherry picked (video recording, play games from disk).

Yet, there's no row for optical sensor? No mention of ESRAM? No mention of DVR features? No mention of party chat? No mention of cloud computing resources? I'm not saying you should care about those things, (that's up to you), but why aren't they in the "un-biased list".
I mean, seriously, the chart makes some points, but it's should not be titled "Un-Biased". It was obviously made by someone who's already made up there mind, rather than someone who is making an un-biased comparison.

Reactions: NEP and McHaggis

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I have it in my hands