Microsoft service, how are they with RROD 360's?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Langin, Nov 27, 2012.

Nov 27, 2012
  1. Langin

Member Langin GBAtemp's Fire Emblem addict

Netherlands
    Yo peeps,

I have a bad feeling about my 360, it starts WEEEEEEEEING very hard when it is turned on for a few moments, I am pretty worried. So a friend of mine told RROD could be near since it happened to him as well.

I would like to know, how is Microsoft with their service, if you have RROD, will they give you a new console or will they fix it? I have an old Phatty(bought somewhere in October 2012 with warranty.) so I don't know how they fix it up lol

Also do I need to send the 360 to M. myself? ;o

Edit: tested some stuffs, it gets FREAKING hot..! It was turned on for about two minutes or so...

2. DinohScene

Member DinohScene GBATemp official Hiro fanboy™

Antarctica
    You said you had a Jasper board.
    Seen the damage as in the plastic even has warped.
    Which is strange since my Kronos never pumps out that much heat .__.
    Nor did my Xenon/Zephyr.

It's highly likely MS will give you a Slim back instead of a Phatty.
    However if it's a thermal paste issue then they will just replace the thermal paste on it.

Strange that a Jasper started RRoDing after 1 month....

3. Bobbyloujo

Member Bobbyloujo I am a millipede, I am amazing.

United States
    My Xbox e74'd (it's a Jasper... I think). They just fixed it and sent back the same one.

4. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    You bought a "phat" in October 2012?

Anyway, most likely you would get a different system back. Probably a refurb.

5. slingblade1170

Member slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I got an old phat 360 and it gets hot as hell, makes loud noises, freezes a lot & stops reading games sometimes and I knew for sure RROD was coming but that was 6 years ago. I wouldn't worry a bit until it actually dies for sure. When or if it does die they will just fix it and send the same one back.

6. irondoom

Member irondoom GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I thought MS would only fix/replace a RROD if it was manufactured within the last 3 years? So that means they probably won't be fixing or replacing phats anyway since they stopped making them close to 3 years ago?

7. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ̨̞̪͖̫̤̪̫̩̻̯̯̤͚̣͍̠̅͌ͧ͑ͤͫͧ͐̎̆̅̎́̀̚̕͟]

United States
    they will just put in a replacement board and send it back (if under warranty) they do not send slims as replacements
    a few more months and no system will be covered anymore unless you recently received a repaired system back from ms then you have a 1 year warranty