Microsoft has bought Mojang, the creator of Minecraft for $2.5Billion

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't really see how this is good for microsoft. Everybody and their grandma has the game already, so I don't know how they plan to earn back the money. That being said, maybe it will work out maybe it won't. Either way there will still be available, Mojang hadn't been doing a whole lot with the game lately anyway.

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's the Minecraft gaming community they're after. They'll have some sort of social networked sequel/patch with subscription model. One thing is for sure they want make that 2.5bil back (and then some) so get out your wallets.

Sporky McForkinspoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. Remember this, guys: even if MS doesn't make many updates to MC, MC was already a great game. If you ask me, there really is no "down side" to this; either we keep the same awesome game we've always had, or MS adds new stuff to it to make it more fun.
I get that MS can totally drive MC into a direction we won't/don't like, but we will still have the good ol' original.
Or they add "Pay us a dollar for some diamonds" and ruin the game.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
As I said, we can keep ahold of the old versions and play those. I have 1.5.2 still (the offline version), and I've never been "forced" to update. If there is an update we don't like, just don't update.
I understand what you mean, the launcher helps a lot too (even that MS can get rid of it, we still got the .jar files and stuff)... but the fun part of minecraft is that you pay once (or pirate once) and get content updates forever. MS can kill that as soon as the game stop selling...

BLsquared

Game Programmer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand what you mean, the launcher helps a lot too (even that MS can get rid of it, we still got the .jar files and stuff)... but the fun part of minecraft is that you pay once (or pirate once) and get content updates forever. MS can kill that as soon as the game stop selling...

True ... But at least we would have the old one. Better than nothing, right?

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Goodbye minecraft, I am starting my own molecular degree sandbox or a lego sand box
CURSE MICROSOFT, I AM NOT GETTING ANY MORE PC OR SURFACE OR WINDOWS PHONE OR XBOX ONE

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Part of that is possibly that I am utterly indifferent to Minecraft.

However I have had to set up minecraft servers for people, install mods when I delouse the computers their kids have and generally support it... I would disagree with the practice but I can at least respect people leaving things as all command line/config file heavy, however these guys just seem to set about doing things in a crazy obtuse way without all that useful documentation (I have seen worse, not by an awful lot though). Couple that with the utterly toxic nature of most minecraft modding communities, or at least the ones that house the mods worth looking at, and I begin to question things.

I would not mind but mods and servers was a problem that was solved acceptably probably 20 years ago and things have only improved since. That Realms stuff was a step in the right direction but not by a lot and definitely too little, too late.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
The modding system is absolutely INSANE. I mean, if mods are such a cool, integral part of the game then why make them so hard to put in?? I don't want to have to copy and paste files into zip archives in the core of the game!

Reactions: filfat

filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
Trophies
Website
www.sweetsideofsweden.com
XP
Country
Sweden
Goodbye minecraft, I am starting my own molecular degree sandbox or a lego sand box
CURSE MICROSOFT, I AM NOT GETTING ANY MORE PC OR SURFACE OR WINDOWS PHONE OR XBOX ONE
Someone pinged me I see.

On topic, I see this as a good thing so long they don't do a Rare(But that was quite a long time ago). They will maybe just throw in some money and developers into Mojang and integrate a Microsoft account(Which would be a good thing as you would need one less account to keep track off ;) ) into it in some way, or maybe even a sequel with some big new mechanics. I mean we have been getting new content since 2009 and just had to pay once, I think its time for a sequel ;)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So this is the Mojang owned by the Notch who whined about Oculus selling to Facebook. Then a month ago, his stance on the subject changed. I wonder what could possibly have made him change his mind on a company selling to a bigger company for around $2 billion. Hypocrite.
I still remember when he said he'd "rather have Minecraft not run on Windows 8 at all", look at the faker change his colours now. :rofl2:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.