Hardware Micro SDXC

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country
I believe it's not related to firmware. It's been available since launch, but it requires a download to enable the functionality. The download forces the firmware update.

I think the download is because they have to pay a licensing fee, and presumably if a customer never uses a card with SDXC capability they can avoid the fee.

You should be able to just format your card with FAT 32 and use it without an update.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The day one update enabled SDXC support. So not included in v1.0 console, but available in 2.0. It was a firmware update to enable.

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country
The day one update enabled SDXC support. So not included in v1.0 console, but available in 2.0. It was a firmware update to enable.

It's definitely separate from the firmware updates. It may have required an update to 2.0 on day 1 (if that was the latest firmware at the time), but I have a console that came with 3.0 that asks me to update when I put in an EXFAT SD card. So it's not built into the firmware. EXFAT (the standard for SDXC) requires a license from Microsoft to use, so having this as a separate download is a way for them to save money if you never use a card with EXFAT.

The OP can just use a tool to format his card with FAT32 if he wants to avoid the download and corresponding firmware update.

Reactions: Xabring

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe it's not related to firmware. It's been available since launch, but it requires a download to enable the functionality. The download forces the firmware update.

I think the download is because they have to pay a licensing fee, and presumably if a customer never uses a card with SDXC capability they can avoid the fee.

You should be able to just format your card with FAT 32 and use it without an update.
who does the sdxc tech from then that they have to pay a fee to support it, I would think it would be the people producing sdxc cards that would have to pay said fee

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
who does the sdxc tech from then that they have to pay a fee to support it, I would think it would be the people producing sdxc cards that would have to pay said fee
Manufacturers of devices that support SDXC also have to pay the fee in order to use exFAT. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT#Restrictive_licensing_and_software_patents
Technically, they could just support SDXC cards with FAT32, but then they can't advertise it; they can only advertise support for SDHC.

From Switchbrew: http://switchbrew.org/index.php?title=Title_list
  • Title ID 0100000000000819: Firmware package A, normal firmware.
  • Title ID 010000000000081A: Firmware package B, safe mode firmware.
  • Title ID 010000000000081B: Firmware package C, normal firmware with exFAT support.
The last one apparently requires a valid device ID in order to download from CDN, which I assume is how NIntendo tracks the required licensing fees.

Reactions: Jacobh

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Manufacturers of devices that support SDXC also have to pay the fee in order to use exFAT. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT#Restrictive_licensing_and_software_patents
Technically, they could just support SDXC cards with FAT32, but then they can't advertise it; they can only advertise support for SDHC.

• Title ID 010000000000081B: Firmware package C, normal firmware with exFAT support.
The last one apparently requires a valid device ID in order to download from CDN, which I assume is how NIntendo tracks the required licensing fees.
hmm, I would have thought it would just be a general fee for overall support but I guess not. I suppose we get hit with the bill in the price of the switch then

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country

I think both the manufacturer's of the card have to pay the fee (if they want to conform to spec) and any software/hardware that reads the cards does as well. Microsoft owns the EXFAT file system and the SD spec h

Thanks - so it is packaged with the firmware, but Nintendo selectively sends you a particular version depending on whether you have tried to use an EXFAT card or not.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

hmm, I would have thought it would just be a general fee for overall support but I guess not. I suppose we get hit with the bill in the price of the switch then

The good news is we technically aren't getting hit with the full fee. Some users will never use an EXFAT card and Nintendo won't pay the fee for those users. So Nintendo has baked some expectation of users not needing the license into their pricing and profit projections.

MK73DS

Non-commutative algebra
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
France
I was on 3.0.1 and I had to update to 3.0.2 to use my 128GB μSD. It has nothing to do with regular system updates, it is juste an "add-on" which, by the way, updates the system

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The separate update is why I made sure my Switch and all my friend's were all updated using an ExFAT formatted MicroSD (it can be any size, the Switch checks if it is ExFAT then downloads the update) right after launch. It does not matter now as my friends and I already are on 3.0.1+ (I just upgraded to 4.0.0 a few hours ago).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated