Metroid Prime Federation Force announced for 3DS

met.PNG

Check out the trailer for the latest game in the Metroid series, exclusive to the 3DS.

Releasing 2016.

WiiFit_Guy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, actually that game had a Unreal Tournament 99 feel to it, only that on slow motion and with awkward controls.
It was good anyway. Specially for the DS.
Well what I actually meant from saying "unreal" was that I can't believe Nintendo would just pop Metroid ina title and expect it to be the AAA game people like from the previous titles.

But yeah, it did feel like unreal tournament. And it nailed it, considering it was on a handheld device and proably the only game to fully utilize the DS graphics and Wi-Fi.

This is a bit off topic. But I still dont own a Nintedo 3DS or Wii U. I'm thinking maybe of getting them, though after this years E3, it doesnt really make me want to go and rush to buy it. And now Nintendo is having rumors on the new console NX, I may wait for that. I find the current generation lacking. Nintendo DS and Wii were amazing hits and a good time perioid for Nintendo. Though it seems like they are struggling again. I hope Nintendo listens to their fans more like they did in the smash series sort of (balancing characters, online 1v1 ect). Nintendo really needs to cater to the core gamers. Thats what makes the most money for Nintendo. And core Nitendo fans just want a good official authuntic Metroid game. Not a spinoff of some toys in space or whatever this game is.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well what I actually meant from saying "unreal" was that I can't believe Nintendo would just pop Metroid ina title and expect it to be the AAA game people like from the previous titles.

But yeah, it did feel like unreal tournament. And it nailed it, considering it was on a handheld device and proably the only game to fully utilize the DS graphics and Wi-Fi.

This is a bit off topic. But I still dont own a Nintedo 3DS or Wii U. I'm thinking maybe of getting them, though after this years E3, it doesnt really make me want to go and rush to buy it. And now Nintendo is having rumors on the new console NX, I may wait for that. I find the current generation lacking. Nintendo DS and Wii were amazing hits and a good time perioid for Nintendo. Though it seems like they are struggling again. I hope Nintendo listens to their fans more like they did in the smash series sort of (balancing characters, online 1v1 ect). Nintendo really needs to cater to the core gamers. Thats what makes the most money for Nintendo. And core Nitendo fans just want a good official authuntic Metroid game. Not a spinoff of some toys in space or whatever this game is.
As an owner of a Wii U and couple of 3DSes I can tell you:
  • Up to now the 3DS is an OK console, many games, but it doesn't even get near of what the DS was.
  • The Wii U is not a good investment as things are looking, there are 2 or 3 good games, and that is it. Also, the gamepad was an awful idea IMHO.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
  • Up to now the 3DS is an OK console, many games, but it doesn't even get near of what the DS was.
  • The Wii U is not a good investment as things are looking, there are 2 or 3 good games, and that is it. Also, the gamepad was an awful idea IMHO.
Most people only anticipate the Wii U maybe making it to the end of 2016, so at least you won't have to be disappointed for too much longer. Of course, the 3DS is on the way out too, clearly shown by the fact that leading into 2016, there doesn't seem to be much to look forward too with many of the bigger titles of 2015 left being more niche in nature lacking broad appeal. Nintendo's resources clearly are not all that focused into their current gen hardware anymore, for better or for worse.

WiiFit_Guy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thats it. I'm leaning toward a 3DS. Proably cause of Pokémon, Zelda and Smash. Also Metroid Prime Federation Force looks promising (*sarcastic* Lol).

Wii U has its titles no doubt. Though the price seems a bit high, and like I said a new console may be around the corner. Smash 4 looks really good though. Thats a game that really improved on Brawl and is taking advantage of the Wii U and game mechanics (balancing ect) and competitiveness.

Nintendo's resources clearly are not all that focused into their current gen hardware anymore, for better or for worse.
This pretty much describes this whole thread. This should be the thesis statement.

Last edited by WiiFit_Guy,

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I signed a petition to get them to cancel it. I seriously doubt they will, but I hope if enough people sign, they'll devote resources to a proper Metroid game.

https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-petition-for-cancelation-of-metroid-prime-federation-force
...You realize that cancelling a game THIS far into development isn't going to get us a proper Metroid game any faster, right? Any "real" Metroid game to come out will almost certainly not even be made by Level 5 Studios.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
...You realize that cancelling a game THIS far into development isn't going to get us a proper Metroid game any faster, right? Any "real" Metroid game to come out will almost certainly not even be made by Level 5 Studios.
Like he said, he doubts they will cancel it. I doubt the vast majority of the nearly 20k that signed the petition already truly believe this could ever result in a cancellation of a game this far into development. They just want a platform to voice their distaste with one collective voice. They want somewhere to focus their frustrations in a way that will tell Nintendo just how bothered they are by this move, or rather, the lack of movement towards creating content people truly want. People like to say "tell them with sales numbers", but that is only one way to get the attention of a company like Nintendo.

Of course, they've been trying to do quite a bit of cleanup lately after their messy E3 and it's resulted in some pretty choice stuff from both Reggie and those such as Miyamoto in some interviews that can be found on various Nintendo focused sites. All in all, Nintendo is an incredibly obstinate company and I don't think anything short of a physical shakedown would get them to do anything towards vastly changing the title already in development. This petition just exists with the hope that Nintendo will finally listen to what people want and maybe, just maybe, eventually act on it.

Nintendo already is failing to do anything to attract a larger fan base with the Wii U clearly on its way to securing the title of worst selling Nintendo home console of all time, with their 3DS on track towards being the worst performing Nintendo handheld so far this century. The least they can do is listen to the steadily declining fan base and turn out things people are looking for that might bring old fans back.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It really seems to me like the only reason this is getting any attention at all is because they used the "Metroid Prime" name. I dont think any of us would care or hate this as much as we do if this was some nintendo indie with the title "Federation Force".

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Like he said, he doubts they will cancel it. I doubt the vast majority of the nearly 20k that signed the petition already truly believe this could ever result in a cancellation of a game this far into development. They just want a platform to voice their distaste with one collective voice. They want somewhere to focus their frustrations in a way that will tell Nintendo just how bothered they are by this move, or rather, the lack of movement towards creating content people truly want. People like to say "tell them with sales numbers", but that is only one way to get the attention of a company like Nintendo.

Of course, they've been trying to do quite a bit of cleanup lately after their messy E3 and it's resulted in some pretty choice stuff from both Reggie and those such as Miyamoto in some interviews that can be found on various Nintendo focused sites. All in all, Nintendo is an incredibly obstinate company and I don't think anything short of a physical shakedown would get them to do anything towards vastly changing the title already in development. This petition just exists with the hope that Nintendo will finally listen to what people want and maybe, just maybe, eventually act on it.

Nintendo already is failing to do anything to attract a larger fan base with the Wii U clearly on its way to securing the title of worst selling Nintendo home console of all time, with their 3DS on track towards being the worst performing Nintendo handheld so far this century. The least they can do is listen to the steadily declining fan base and turn out things people are looking for that might bring old fans back.
Maybe I'm mistaken, but to me, Joostin saying "maybe if it gets enough signatures, they'll devote resources to a proper Metroid game," implies that he thinks getting it cancelled would make a "proper" Metroid game more likely.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe I'm mistaken, but to me, Joostin saying "maybe if it gets enough signatures, they'll devote resources to a proper Metroid game," implies that he thinks getting it cancelled would make a "proper" Metroid game more likely.
That's a pretty strong conclusion to come to and is a bit of a leap in logic. I get why you would think that's what he meant, but it's pretty much cancelled out by the fact that he doesn't think the game will get cancelled to begin with. He was just saying that he hopes if enough people sign, it will motivate Nintendo to put resources towards a proper Metroid game in the future, not contingent on the cancellation of Federation Force, but rather just that Nintendo would finally understand what fans want and act on it.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
That's a pretty strong conclusion to come to and is a bit of a leap in logic. I get why you would think that's what he meant, but it's pretty much cancelled out by the fact that he doesn't think the game will get cancelled to begin with. He was just saying that he hopes if enough people sign, it will motivate Nintendo to put resources towards a proper Metroid game in the future, not contingent on the cancellation of Federation Force, but rather just that Nintendo would finally understand what fans want and act on it.
But that implies that Nintendo isn't already working on a proper Metroid game, or at least planning one. Last year after E3, Miyamoto and one of his colleagues were interviewed by Kotaku and they said that they had plans for both classic and Prime styled Metroid. That more or less confirms that there's at least one more Metroid game in the works, and a traditional one at that.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
But that implies that Nintendo isn't already working on a proper Metroid game, or at least planning one. Last year after E3, Miyamoto and one of his colleagues were interviewed by Kotaku and they said that they had plans for both classic and Prime styled Metroid. That more or less confirms that there's at least one more Metroid game in the works, and a traditional one at that.
Even then, the guy who is responsible for the whole Prime series has confirmed that, at the least, Prime 4 is not in development right now. I'm almost fearful that Federation Force is what they meant when they said they had a Prime styled Metroid planned. In the end, I think it's a little hard to trust their word considering that was after last E3 and we still haven't seen much of anything a year later.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Even then, the guy who is responsible for the whole Prime series has confirmed that, at the least, Prime 4 is not in development right now. I'm almost fearful that Federation Force is what they meant when they said they had a Prime styled Metroid planned. In the end, I think it's a little hard to trust their word considering that was after last E3 and we still haven't seen much of anything a year later.
Oh, I agree about Prime (hopefully we'll get a "real" Prime game eventually), but that doesn't change the fact that, last we had any official word, Nintendo did have plans for both classic and Prime. Even if Federation Force is what they meant by "plans" for Prime, that means there's still a classic Metroid in the pipeline somewhere. Honestly, even though I'd rather play it on a handheld, I would love to see 2D Metroid on Wii U.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, I agree about Prime (hopefully we'll get a "real" Prime game eventually), but that doesn't change the fact that, last we had any official word, Nintendo did have plans for both classic and Prime. Even if Federation Force is what they meant by "plans" for Prime, that means there's still a classic Metroid in the pipeline somewhere. Honestly, even though I'd rather play it on a handheld, I would love to see 2D Metroid on Wii U.
I'm guessing it will still be a 3DS title if it's coming. Nintendo seems to only be putting out what they have to for the Wii U, largely focusing on easier, lower budget efforts. Starfox and Zelda U seem to be the Wii U's last big hurrahs at this point, at least directly from Nintendo. Like I've been saying, they might surprise me, but I think it's unlikely at this point.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing it will still be a 3DS title if it's coming. Nintendo seems to only be putting out what they have to for the Wii U, largely focusing on easier, lower budget efforts. Starfox and Zelda U seem to be the Wii U's last big hurrahs at this point, at least directly from Nintendo. Like I've been saying, they might surprise me, but I think it's unlikely at this point.
I hope you're wrong, but all the evidence seems to point towards you being right. :(
You forgot the "also fix the story" part.
...What do you mean? We don't even know anything about the story yet.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I feel like if Nintendo stripped the name "Metroid Prime" out of the title and threw it on the eShop, people might not hate it as much.
Personally, this is just a disgrace to Metroid fans. I grew up on Super Metroid, seriously, it was my second game right before Yoshi's Island. It has a special spot in my heart. So seeing this, just feels like Nintendo is trying to take advantage of us and not even trying anymore.
Also look at that Youtube rating, 90% dislikes, that is just sad.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
This is what I meant.

They'll never cancel it. It looks like it's pretty far in development, so canceling it would be a bad financial choice. The point is to aim way above your target in hopes that, when you get denied, you'll still hit your real target. Fans are hoping Nintendo will see distaste, and think "Well we can't cancel the game, but it's obvious that fans don't want a spin-off, so lets focus on a new Metroid title."

There are two problems with the "tell them with sales numbers" approach.
  1. We'd have to wait for months
  2. It could be misconstrued into thinking fans just aren't interested in Metroid anymore.
I probably shouldn't have explained the evil plan, but I doubt Nintendo watches every thread on gbatemp.

Reactions: TripleSMoon
D

Deleted User

This is what I meant.

They'll never cancel it. It looks like it's pretty far in development, so canceling it would be a bad financial choice. The point is to aim way above your target in hopes that, when you get denied, you'll still hit your real target. Fans are hoping Nintendo will see distaste, and think "Well we can't cancel the game, but it's obvious that fans don't want a spin-off, so lets focus on a new Metroid title."

There are two problems with the "tell them with sales numbers" approach.
  1. We'd have to wait for months
  2. It could be misconstrued into thinking fans just aren't interested in Metroid anymore.
I probably shouldn't have explained the evil plan, but I doubt Nintendo watches every thread on gbatemp.
StarCraft Ghosts and Silent Hills got cancelled.

Anyway, I think the best thing they can do is salvage it. Take the things that don't suck and repackage them into something better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)