Hacking Methods of transferring legit carts to cias?

mrmonotone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a bunch of cartridges that I am carried of carrying around. What are the best methods of transferring them to cias so I do not have to carry around my carts anymore? Can I get it to the point where they are completely legit copies?

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a bunch of cartridges that I am carried of carrying around. What are the best methods of transferring them to cias so I do not have to carry around my carts anymore? Can I get it to the point where they are completely legit copies?

Yes, you can convert your carts to cias with uncart and decrypt9. Unfortunately they will not be "legit cias" as the only way to get them is to either buy a system with a preloaded game, transfer them from such a system, or pirate the "legit" cia from the usual sources. That being said, updates will work just fine since cias created from cart dumps will just download the update files designed for physical copies.

jimmyleen

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, you can convert your carts to cias with uncart and decrypt9. Unfortunately they will not be "legit cias" as the only way to get them is to either buy a system with a preloaded game, transfer them from such a system, or pirate the "legit" cia from the usual sources. That being said, updates will work just fine since cias created from cart dumps will just download the update files designed for physical copies.

simplecia

Blue

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Actually you can have personal legit CIA's up to the point where they will show on sysNAND without signature patches.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
simplecia

That doesn't make legit cias. If you don't believe me, then try to run a cia made with simplecia after disabling the sigcheck patches in Cakes.

Actually you can have personal legit CIA's up to the point where they will show on sysNAND without signature patches.

However there is no way to convert a cart into even a personal legit cia that I know of. So if you want to convert your own (or rented, or borrowed) carts to cias you will still need sigpatching to run them.

mrmonotone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but no way to install them unfortunately so in reality it's useless now.
but yes, my tool can create them
Is there a way that I can just use my 3ds or do I need to transfer files to and from my 3ds? I read somewhere about being able to get some sort of ticket so I can download from the eshop?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
You can rip a cart directly to a CIA all in one homebrew on the 3ds?
I mean it is possible to make, take some stuff from uncart, take some stuff from decrypt9, and the CIA conversion from source that you might need to port from python or something. it all exists, someone just needs to put it together.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
thanks for the help guys
EDIT: one last thing, will I be able to use these online safely? Since I own the copy?
owning the physical cart doesn't make it safe to play - nintendo wouldn't 'forgive you', but anyway, nintendo has shown basically no action against pirates so i wouldn't worry about anything.

mrmonotone

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
owning the physical cart doesn't make it safe to play - nintendo wouldn't 'forgive you', but anyway, nintendo has shown basically no action against pirates so i wouldn't worry about anything.
So even if I own the cart and extract create the cia from that cart dump, it will still be the same as installing a pirated copy?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
So even if I own the cart and extract create the cia from that cart dump, it will still be the same as installing a pirated copy?
sure, even though it's justifiable and not evil, it's still against nintendo's rules and terms of service etc, especially because you will need to use cfw. but as i said, it doesn't matter because nintendo hasn't really taken any banning action, so don't worry about nintendo :)
if nintendo made a big list of everyone who installed piratead games, you would be in that list - they don't know that you bought the game physically :) all they would see is that there is a illegit ticket on your system. but whether they can see that or not, it doesn't matter, they have not taken action against anyone

Reactions: pbanj

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Aeiou backwards