Metal Max 3 Translation Project

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Terithian, Dec 3, 2015.

Dec 3, 2015
  1. Terithian
    OP

Newcomer Terithian Advanced Member

Canada
    Hm, you've got a point, the specific kanji they used does give off that feeling. That's certainly an avenue to explore. Thanks!

2. Terithian
    OP

Canada
    I've started a new thread with a better title, one that more accurately represents the state of the project, as the title of this thread is rather misleading as to whether the project is happening or not. All further discussion can go there, please:

EDIT: That thread is now deleted as this thread has been renamed. Business can continue as normal!

Last edited by Terithian, Sep 29, 2016
  3. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    I closed the other one and renamed this thread's title.
    I also copied your other thread's text to this first post (there were some differences)

Keeping two threads open is not the best choice, so I wanted to close this one, but I find too bad to lose all user's comments related to this project.
    So I just renamed this one, you can continue using it as your main translation project thread now.

4. Terithian
    OP

Canada
    Ah, thank you! That is the best choice, I just had no idea how to go about contacting someone to do that. That helps a lot!

Last edited by Terithian, Sep 29, 2016
  5. Terithian
    OP

Canada
    Okay, does anyone have any ideas on how to translate "Kushiata no Puutai" (クシアタのプータイ)? I spent ages trying to figure out what it meant until the Japanese Metal Max wiki entry for the character that says it answered my question: it means nothing. It's some sort of bizarre nonsense that leaves every player scratching their heads, and the person it is being said to somehow interprets it as praise. (Probably helped by the woman who says it kissing him on the cheek at the same time, hehe.) Anyway, my point is, does anyone have any ideas for similar nonsense words that almost sound intelligible as praise, but sound better in English than "Kushiata's Putai"?

6. AlcaAdia

Newcomer AlcaAdia Newbie

Japan
    Its a reverse of あたくしのタイプ meaning "You're my type." Without context, I'm not sure why it's said like that, perhaps to add some personality to this character, but the translation could be something relating to switching around the literal translation, "My type". Epytym?

7. Terithian
    OP

Canada
    Ah, you're right, I never caught that! It fits in context, too: the girl makes fun of the guy by being sarcastic, he gets mad, she sweet talks him by claiming she was serious and thinks he's amazing, she then says the phrase in question and kisses him on the cheek, and he falls for it hook, line, and sinker. I'll come up with something based on "my type" or something similar in English.

8. MetalFan

Newcomer MetalFan Member

Cuba
    Brothers Im still having problems with compression in some .TEX Files. The problem is the following , I have found a great quantity of .TEX graphics with some kind of compression I have proven all the tools that I have without results , looking the hexadecimal structures of the files that I could not see the graphics I found that it is completely different than the others, seems like a compression or encryption ?? I put an examples files (They are the files inside unpacked\OP\tex but there are many more compressed). Please someone has a idea of how decompress that files. Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

9. DarthNemesis

Member DarthNemesis GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    The 4 bytes after TXIM are the length of the compressed data, followed immediately by the compressed data (starting with 0x11).

MetalFan likes this.
  10. Lakum

Member Lakum GBAtemp Regular

Malaysia
    How about Primeval Forest or Ancient Woodland or even something like Old/Great Wilderness?

Last edited by Lakum, Oct 2, 2016
  11. Terithian
    OP

Canada
    Nah, those are still used a bit too much for my liking. I can't think of anything but Etrian Odyssey with those first two, either. I was thinking, maybe something along the lines of "The Woodsea"?

12. MetalFan

Newcomer MetalFan Member

Cuba
    Ohhhhhh thank you very much DarthNemesis're the best man, I extract all the compressed graphics thanks to you, so we can now edit all the graphics in the game without issues. Have a nice day bro and thanks again...

13. Lilfut

Newcomer Lilfut Advanced Member

United States
    "You're ty mype!"

I really like "The Woodsea".

14. FlashBoomerang

Newcomer FlashBoomerang Newbie

Brazil
    I don't know japanese, but I have a book of kanji and a dicionary from the time wrich I was trying learn it. If you guys want some help, I can translate simple things like names of weapons, equipaments and itens.
    I am not from a english country, but my books are english-japanese. So, don't need worry... If you want the help.

Last edited by FlashBoomerang, Oct 12, 2016
  15. Terithian
    OP

Canada
    Sorry, but that's already all finished; it was the first thing I did. Thanks for the offer, though!

16. FlashBoomerang

Newcomer FlashBoomerang Newbie

Brazil
    Anyway, if you have plans to translate metal max 2 reloaded too, and if I can do something similar to help, send me word.

17. Terithian
    OP

Canada
    Hm, I'm not sure about something and I figured I may as well ask here. There are a few mentions of a famous baseball player in-game named Nisen Ichiro. I'm pretty sure this is a reference to Ichiro Suzuki. I have two options here: I could go with the English pun on the name I came up with, Ichiro Twozuki, or substitute the name for a pun on another famous baseball player that English-speakers playing the game would be more likely to know. I know next to nothing about baseball myself, though, so the name might be well known enough that it isn't necessary. Any suggestions on which I should do?

EDIT: Another question. I don't know anything about baseball cards, is there a special name for rare, shiny ones?

Last edited by Terithian, Oct 20, 2016
  18. DarthNemesis

Member DarthNemesis GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Foil cards.

19. Terithian
    OP

Canada
    So they are called foil? I'd heard the term, but I wasn't sure if it applied here. Thanks!

20. Lilfut

Newcomer Lilfut Advanced Member

United States
    I asked my dad, who is a massive baseball fan, and he said that any English-speaking baseball fans will be familiar with Ichiro (he's apparently one of the most famous Japanese players to play in an American league).