Gaming Metal Gear Solid series?

Naderino

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Play Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. It will get you to want to play all the games.
It's the first in the story timeline, and it's what made me really enjoy Portable Ops (which I previously didn't like at all as it was my first MGS game)

That series in all honesty has to be one of the best video game series

Reactions: CathyRina

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Play Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. It will get you to want to play all the games.
It's the first in the story timeline, and it's what made me really enjoy Portable Ops (which I previously didn't like at all as it was my first MGS game)

That series in all honesty has to be one of the best video game series
Yeah I had the luck that MGS3 was my first MGS game (the 3DS version with better controls though) Now I own every game except portable ops.

Reactions: naderino

Naderino

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I had the luck that MGS3 was my first MGS game (the 3DS version with better controls though) Now I own every game except portable ops.

Me too! I really loved it on the 3DS. Portable ops isn't too important as it's not considered canon by Kojima, but there are a lot of nice things in it like the introduction of Frank Jaeger and Roy Campbell (Although not much story is elaborated on those characters). I also liked the gameplay. It had an interesting take on stealth and management.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Me too! I really loved it on the 3DS. Portable ops isn't too important as it's not considered canon by Kojima, but there are a lot of nice things in it like the introduction of Frank Jaeger and Roy Campbell (Although not much story is elaborated on those characters). I also liked the gameplay. It had an interesting take on stealth and management.
Actually Kojima said that its only partially canon and Konami added it to the timeline lately but I don't really care if a MGS is canon or not. After MGS2 that constantly mocks the canon I'm fine as long as the story is good which is why I don't like MGS4 so much. It wasted so much time with cutscenes explaining the canon of the series that the plot suffered a lot from it. After a masterpiece like MGS3, MGS4 was really a disappointment to me.

Naderino

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually Kojima said that its only partially canon and Konami added it to the timeline lately but I don't really care if a MGS is canon or not. After MGS2 that constantly mocks the canon I'm fine as long as the story is good which is why I don't like MGS4 so much. It wasted so much time with cutscenes explaining the canon of the series that the plot suffered a lot from it. After a masterpiece like MGS3, MGS4 was really a disappointment to me.

Really? I actually enjoyed it. I don't wanna spoil things here, but what didn't you like about it and the plot? I really loved the direction in that game and the plot filled in a lot of gaps. Do you think there are plot holes? If so what are they? You can always mention them in spoiler tags ;)

There are obviously a few things they still need to cover, which hopefully MGS V will, but I don't think there is much.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Really? I actually enjoyed it. I don't wanna spoil things here, but what didn't you like about it and the plot? I really loved the direction in that game and the plot filled in a lot of gaps. Do you think there are plot holes? If so what are they? You can always mention them in spoiler tags ;)

There are obviously a few things they still need to cover, which hopefully MGS V will, but I don't think there is much.
It's less about the plot it's more of a the amount of time spent with cutscenes vs. the amount of time spent with gameplay. MGS3 had the perfect balance of both being equal and then MGS4 comes out and the core game is just the first 2 chapters. In the 3rd chapters you are basically playing on a grid and the only reason it doesn't take only five minutes is because you have to follow the guy. The fourth chapters is not only short but doesn't require much stealth (great thing to play as Rex though) and chapter 5 is really just one single room and a bossfight. If they kept the pacing of the first two chapters over all five chapters I would like it. However the game becomes just a film after these two chapters. A great film without a doubt but thats not what I really paid for. Also the amount of people you can call up on codec was drastically reduced. Like in mgs you had a half dozens of people and everyone had thousands amounts of lines to what ever situation snake currently is and in MGS4 its just Otacon and Rose. I also got the game too late to play the multiplayer so that makes my opinion even more negative. For me MGS4 is really the weakest MGS in the series. I'm really thankful thats this issue won't happen in MGSV again as already shown with Peace Walker. Episodic story telling seems to fit Kojima more nowadays. And if you feel you don't get enough Gameplay you can do few Sidequests. I actually like that alot. I'm glad MGS is heading for that direction.

Naderino

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's less about the plot it's more of a the amount of time spent with cutscenes vs. the amount of time spent with gameplay. MGS3 had the perfect balance of both being equal and then MGS4 comes out and the core game is just the first 2 chapters. In the 3rd chapters you are basically playing on a grid and the only reason it doesn't take only five minutes is because you have to follow the guy. The fourth chapters is not only short but doesn't require much stealth (great thing to play as Rex though) and chapter 5 is really just one single room and a bossfight. If they kept the pacing of the first two chapters over all five chapters I would like it. However the game becomes just a film after these two chapters. A great film without a doubt but thats not what I really paid for. Also the amount of people you can call up on codec was drastically reduced. Like in mgs you had a half dozens of people and everyone had thousands amounts of lines to what ever situation snake currently is and in MGS4 its just Otacon and Rose. I also got the game too late to play the multiplayer so that makes my opinion even more negative. For me MGS4 is really the weakest MGS in the series. I'm really thankful thats this issue won't happen in MGSV again as already shown with Peace Walker. Episodic story telling seems to fit Kojima more nowadays. And if you feel you don't get enough Gameplay you can do few Sidequests. I actually like that alot. I'm glad MGS is heading for that direction.

You raise an excellent point and I can say you're 100% right. MGS4 was definitely more of a movie than it was a game, and it did an excellent delivery at that. We can even see this in Ground Zeroes, where the main story playthrough is roughly 2 hours long, but there are many side missions to choose from.

Haseeb_BSAA

Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Tip, if you have something to add to a post don't make another post immediately after this one (aka double posting), simply use the edit tool.

Also, don't play some Hideo Kojima games if you don't like using your brain. It's a waste of time.

Seriously, it's sooo sad when some players fail to understand the whole concept of a game and go around calling it a "shitty game". :cry:

Tip :
You don't have to be "SOOO" sad for other players , look for yourself , mind your own business :D (especially don't cry , you're not a baby , common)
And second , NOBODY CARES! Have a nice day!

InfoAddict

Trophies
XP
Country
You're playing the wrong games. Play MGS1 and VR Missions on your PSP and then play MGS2 and 3 if you have PS3/Vita.

Hargrun

Support the arts! (The games, silly.)
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You're playing the wrong games. Play MGS1 and VR Missions on your PSP and then play MGS2 and 3 if you have PS3/Vita.
The first MGS game is the sixth title in the timeline while MGS3 is the first one. They're playing in the right order. (I unfortunately started on VR Missions.)

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You raise an excellent point and I can say you're 100% right. MGS4 was definitely more of a movie than it was a game, and it did an excellent delivery at that. We can even see this in Ground Zeroes, where the main story playthrough is roughly 2 hours long, but there are many side missions to choose from.
MGS4 did something very few games ever did which was made you feel emotions for the characters
weather it be shedding a tear for octagon near the end of chapter 4 or the emotional roller coaster that is chapter 5

People said they cried at the end of MGS3 but frankly I didnt because I didnt know the boss long enough to care about her, where as the other charterers from MGS4 Ive been playing and seeing their stories for 10 years

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
MGS4 did something very few games ever did which was made you feel emotions for the characters
weather it be shedding a tear for octagon near the end of chapter 4 or the emotional roller coaster that is chapter 5

People said they cried at the end of MGS3 but frankly I didnt because I didnt know the boss long enough to care about her, where as the other charterers from MGS4 Ive been playing and seeing their stories for 10 years
My point isn't that MGS4 has too many cutscenes because the Story would suffer tremendously from it. My point is that it doesn't have enough game in between those cutscenes. I agree that MGS4 has a great story with great characters and great moments. I mean Metal Gear fight or the microwave scene. I mean that scene is for me iconic for that game. But there wasn't enough gameplay in the last three chapters.

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Peace Walker actually doesn't even have too much stealth. Half the game is boss battles. They are all pretty much the same, and some of them last over half an hour. I think this game could have been better.

The first MGS game is the sixth title in the timeline while MGS3 is the first one. They're playing in the right order. (I unfortunately started on VR Missions.)
I believe the correct order is usually the order of release.

All stories are written in that context so they will always make sense. (see Star Wars.. if you watch the six films in chronological order then the most important spoiler in the series will be ruined for you) And if you play the games out of order then things like game mechanics, controls, and difficulty will not flow well from one to the next, and it will be obvious to you that you are jumping back and forth between the real life story of the series. MGS is probably the best example of this. MGS1 starts out in a top down perspective, then the franchise gradually ends up as a third person shooter. If you play the games in a different order then you fly in the face of this transition.

For example imagine if in a series the first 2 games don't have regenerating health but the later 2 games do... now imagine playing those games so you keep alternating between the two.. it will be obvious to you that you're playing them in the wrong order even though you get to see the story in the order you want to.

Reactions: ov3rkill

Hargrun

Support the arts! (The games, silly.)
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hmmm... [USER]zeello[/USER]. I must disagree cuz stealth is present in some boss battles too and are you considering the Extra Ops? (At least I used a lot the good ol "divide and conquer" wherever possible.)

About your example, Star Wars was produced and released the way it was because not even George Lucas believed it would become so popular and spawn so many movies. So it's understandable that the first movie takes place at a time with more action than cheap/complex/boring chat.

Currently I'm trying to finish Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, which is also a good example of timelines since Yasumi Matsuno wrote episodes that were never released as games. And if you play the games, well... They're faaar more different in genres/mechanics (I don't like RTS, but like SRPG and this detail frustrates me) but I will not go into details not to divert the thread.

In short, I think it's a matter of resources. Create a fictional universe isn't easy and present it to the world without seeming a boring/complex lecture is even more hard. The only alternative left is: give a sample to the public with the first release > draw their attention > expand the fictional universe with sequels and prequels dealing with the growing fanbase. That's it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Goodness gracious, you started off with Metal Gear Solid 3: 15FPS Edition? Wow, it's great that you stuck around for the better releases, I admire your resilience. :P

Posting since I'm finally replaying Peace Walker, this time in HD. I hope to finish the game this time, I'm almost at the point at which I left off on the PSP, which is great! :yaypsp:
...ZEKE is almost complete! ItsHappening.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1