MediCat DVD: A Multiboot Linux DVD

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Jayro, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Markinhfx

Markinhfx Member

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2016
    Canada
    Hi Jayro, thanks for the reply! I was able to get a the file extracted and used Rufus, to put it on a USB stick. However my Panda AV kept flagging the nirsoft as a potential problem, finally I had to disable it in order to complete the extraction. In terms of the multiple files perhaps you could offer both 1 large file for those who have a fast connection and the other method as well?
    Thank you so much for your continued work on this!!!!
    Cheers from
    Halifax Nova Scotia Canada
    Mark

Jayro likes this.

2. bigmaster

bigmaster Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 4, 2016
  3. Markinhfx

Markinhfx Member

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2016
    Canada
    So after Installing on a stick I tried on 3 different laptops, on the oldest machine Dell XPS15 approx 8 years oldit would boot and launch the main screen to choose going in to mini Win10 which it would do, and it would tell me wireless connections were available however the PENetwork utility would not launch and I could not choose a wireless network. On the two other newer machines a 4 year old Samsung Series 9 and a brand new Lenovo Ideapad 310 I ran in to the same problem... the main menu would not load and I was presented with the below screenshot, and if I chose an option it would either hang or I would get what you see in the second thread.... Any idea how to get around this on the newer machines?

Attached Files:

4. Markinhfx

Markinhfx Member

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2016
    Canada
    Is there a summary of the best settings to use with Rufus somewhere? perhaps with Screenshots?

5. Jayro
    OP

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Turn off UEFI booting in your BIOS settings, it has to boot from Legacy (CSM?) mode.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Is there a Portable version of it? That would make life simpler for me to integrate the app. It looks very useful.

6. Markinhfx

Markinhfx Member

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2016
    Canada

7. Gray_Jack

Gray_Jack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    @Jayro
    How do I open these files using p7zip?

8. Jayro
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I have no Idea, I don't use p7zip for these. But 7zip works in WINE just fine, if you want to give that a go.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

If you're using the latest release, it's just a matter of installing your networking drivers first with Snappy Driver Installer. It has drivers for most popular wireless card brands preloaded, to get you online without needing an internet connection.

Gray_Jack likes this.
  9. Gray_Jack

Gray_Jack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    Thanks, it worked :3

10. Markinhfx

Markinhfx Member

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2016
    Canada
    If you're using the latest release, it's just a matter of installing your networking drivers first with Snappy Driver Installer. It has drivers for most popular wireless card brands preloaded, to get you online without needing an internet connection.[/QUOTE]
    The driver for the wireless was working as I was getting the message wireless networks were available.... However I did not have a way to choose them...... How do you choose which wireless to connect? In regular windows you just click on the icon and it shows the available networks... this did not work in Mini 10
    Thanks

11. Jayro
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    The driver for the wireless was working as I was getting the message wireless networks were available.... However I did not have a way to choose them...... How do you choose which wireless to connect? In regular windows you just click on the icon and it shows the available networks... this did not work in Mini 10
    Thanks[/QUOTE]
    Networking is tricky in WinPE, so apps like PENetwork are required. Are you using the latest build of Mini Windows 10? Because last year's build had the symptoms you're talking about. Unless you're not opening PENetwork, because that's where you choose the wireless network from that you need.

12. Markinhfx

Markinhfx Member

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2016
    Canada
    Thanks for the note, I am using which ever version is in the Medicat 16.1 stable build... I am not in front of system right now but do know that I am running the latest version of your build.
    Does that help?
    Mark

13. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    I've just fixed another laptop using Medicat so thanks once again! Although I didn't realise that Mini 10 can't run on only 1GB of RAM... I had to use lubuntu instead. I also had weird graphical glitches on the DOS select screen trying to choose Mini 10/lubuntu... but I think that's more an issue with the tiny Acer Aspire One crappy screen than Medicat itself.

Jayro likes this.
  14. Grim Ripper

Grim Ripper GBAtemp Regular

Jan 25, 2016
    Greece
    Any ides on how to make windows 8 + 10 work with YUMI?
    I'm trying to make a multiboot usb and so far only windows 8.1 + 10 doesn't work. :/

Medicat works great, i choose the Unlisted Iso option in the bottom. :)

Edit:
    Nevermind, i think i found it.
    Apparently the iso should not have spaces in the name.
    I choose the Unlisted Iso option for both windows 8.1 and windows 10

Last edited by Grim Ripper, Dec 8, 2016
  15. bigmaster

bigmaster Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 4, 2016
    There is only portable version available

16. Jayro
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Good to know, I'll take a look into it. :)

17. OwnHeart

OwnHeart Member

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2016
    I have been using the older versions of this and it has been great. did not realise there was a newer one out so I'm gonna try this one thanks agin mate for all your hard work :-)

Jayro likes this.
  18. BorrowedWifi

BorrowedWifi Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2016
    Coming to you live, from a machine that I'm repairing, booted in via USB using your astoundingly good piece of work, Medicat, which I only discovered and downloaded last night, and am using for the first time, now. I have temporarily stopped what I'm doing here, and have created a new user account, just so I can express my boundless thanks for doing what you've done. Medicat is the tits! I cannot thank you enough. Do, oh please, keep up the good work!

Markinhfx and Jayro like this.
  19. Jayro
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Wow, thanks man. This definitely encourages me to keep going, more than any donation ever could. :yay3ds:

Markinhfx likes this.
  20. jordy12345

jordy12345 Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2016
    Netherlands
    Every time I run the Windows 10 mini I get the "Memory management" blue screen error.
    And every time I run the lubuntu it gets stuck on the loading screen and my computer is not reacting at all.

The other tools and my USB is working fine (PortableApps etc), do you have any idea what could go wrong and how I can solve it?
    I'm on a Windows 10 Asus machine, thanks alot! @Jayro

Last edited by jordy12345, Dec 27, 2016