MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
How about some tracks from ArcadeGP

Probably not going to happen. Like, ever.

Having any Arcade tracks in a main game would defeat the pay-to-play purpose of the arcade machines, as people can just play the tracks for free on their own console and they don't have to go anywhere to play it.

Also, most people aren't familiar with them anyway.

D

Dork

chop said:
How about some tracks from Super Mario Kart

Probably not going to happen. Like, ever.

Having any retro tracks in a main game would defeat the pay-to-play purpose of retail video games, as people can just play the tracks for free on their own console and they don't have buy an SNES and cartridge to play it.

Also, they appeared a lot already anyway.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

*facepalm*

Don't put words in my mouth. The point is that you can own an old console and cartridge in your own home. It's not pay-to-play, it's pay-once-to-own-forever. You can't own the arcade machine, unless you're made of money.

Arcade games would be worthless if everyone already had access to them on a home console. It's called convenience, and it would put those arcade machines in the dump.

D

Dork

The point is that you can own an old console and cartridge in your own home. It's not pay-to-play, it's pay-once-to-own-forever. You can't own the arcade machine, unless you're made of money.

Consoles are pay-to-play, don't try to argue they're not.

Arcade games would be worthless if everyone already had access to them on a home console. It's called convenience, and it would put those arcade machines in the dump.

Because a couple of retro courses = full access to arcade game. Arcade is already worthless thanks to the introduction of consoles, why do you think they're very scarce nowadays, besides seeing them occasionally at rest stops.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You have to buy a game and then are able to play it, that's what pay-to-play means, it isn't exclusive to arcade games.

The only common denominator between arcade and console your argument suggests is that it costs money to play a game. Everything costs money, that's a given. But there is a difference.

With arcade games, you aren't buying the game. You have to pay a sum of money every time you want to play it. You can spend 1000$ on an arcade game, and you will never have to do that with a console game. You only have to pay once for a console game then you have it forever. Like I said before, there's pay-to-play (arcades), and then there's pay-once-to-own-forever (consoles). It's an obvious difference.

The console games can only sell a limited amount of money due to the nature of their marketing. Once the stock runs dry, that's all the money that can be made out of the game. The arcade games have the potential to keep raking in money for Nintendo forever, but to do that it needs to retain content that makes it worth its price.

The Mario Kart Arcade games only have a small amount of tracks. If these tracks were to be included in future Mario Kart games as retro tracks, it would only take 2-3 instalments until they've all been reworked into a console title, so there'd really be no reason to go find the Mario Kart Arcade Machines and pay money to race on tracks you already have unless you really want to play as Pacman.

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want the game to be balanced, thats all I want. MK7 seemed to happen like clockwork.

-Hit first place
-Bombarded by items
-Continue bombardment while people are passing you
-Finish in last place

Just seemed like they ramped up the item rate or something, never had a problem with it in the older titles. Out of all the MK's, 7 was the one I played least. 64 and DS had the most playtime from me.

D

Dork

The console games can only sell a limited amount of money due to the nature of their marketing. Once the stock runs dry, that's all the money that can be made out of the game. The arcade games have the potential to keep raking in money for Nintendo forever, but to do that it needs to retain content that makes it worth its price.

Except, that's not how it works. Let's say Mario Kart Arcade 1&2 were still manufactured, Nintendo would only make money off of the initial purchase of the arcade machine. Any quarter you put into that machine would go to the vendor supporting the machine, therefore Nintendo can't make an 'infinite sum' off of these games. Unless of course if I buy my own arcade system and every quarter I put into it has to be mailed directly to Nintendo of America.

The Mario Kart Arcade games only have a small amount of tracks. If these tracks were to be included in future Mario Kart games as retro tracks, it would only take 2-3 instalments until they've all been reworked into a console title, so there'd really be no reason to go find the Mario Kart Arcade Machines and pay money to race on tracks you already have unless you really want to play as Pacman.

Okay, but Nintendo isn't making money off of Arcade GP 1&2 anymore, the only one who should be concerned with that is the company who has one. And I still don't believe that having a couple of retro courses would entirely kill an arcade machine. Even if you have the full game at home, you will never get that same arcade experience, unless you bought your own personal machine.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Meh, whatever. I didn't make this thread to discuss semantics. Ultimately though, the arcade games aren't classified as part of the main series, none of their tracks have ever made an appearance in past main series games, and taking into account that they are often subject to criticism for not being as good as the main games (and aren't nearly as well known as the console titles), I highly doubt we will ever see any tracks from the arcade games in the main series.

But if they do appear in Mario Kart U, I'll make sure to link you a video of me eating a hat. ;)

D

Dork

Meh, whatever. I didn't make this thread to discuss semantics. Ultimately though, the arcade games aren't classified as part of the main series, none of their tracks have ever made an appearance in past main series games, and taking into account that they are often subject to criticism for not being as good as the main games (and aren't nearly as well known as the console titles), I highly doubt we will ever see any tracks from the arcade games in the main series.

No hard feelings, It would just be really nice to see those tracks in the next big Mario Kart. I'm sure not a lot of people have played them and it would nice for a change to see retro tracks that aren't from SNES and GC. Not saying they have a big chance of getting in, but it would pretty cool.

But if they do appear in Mario Kart U, I'll make sure to link you a video of me eating a hat.

What kind of hat?

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely want moonview highway, it's the best track that has other vehicles obstacles in any Mario Kart game.

Really like Wii Grumble Volcano and Bowsers Castle tracks too.

rolandpibb

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Coconut Mall
SNES Rainbow road

I just want the game to be balanced, thats all I want. MK7 seemed to happen like clockwork.

-Hit first place
-Bombarded by items
-Continue bombardment while people are passing you
-Finish in last place

Just seemed like they ramped up the item rate or something, never had a problem with it in the older titles. Out of all the MK's, 7 was the one I played least. 64 and DS had the most playtime from me.

Just stay in 5th or 6th if the pack is close til the last item box in lap 3 and reap the benefits. Unless you get a squd, that just sucks.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to buy a game and then are able to play it, that's what pay-to-play means, it isn't exclusive to arcade games.

I consider xbox live as "pay to Play", not Nintendo.

As for what tracks I want in MK U, who cares, I want Mario Kart U, NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
And our first *confirmed* retro tracks are:

-GCN Dry Dry Desert (per My Prediction)
-3DS Piranha Plant Pipeway/Slide
-3DS Melody Motorway/Music Park (per My Wishlist)

Anyone satisfied with these confirmed tracks so far?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: