Hacking Mario Kart 8 Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rinnux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
His setup would be like Jailbreaking an iPhone, but only having access to a quarter of it's potential (Because he doesn't want Piracy and Cheats). I've already spent $50 on a little card that lets me play all my games for free, so I don't care about the piracy aspect as much, just the limitations set in place because of the blocking of it.

Except that he didn't add those limitations. The exploit he discovered is only userland, so it does not have access to the kernel. The work that smea is doing will bring homebrew to those with a 3ds on 5.x-7.x and hopefully 8.x. I fail to see how he is doing anything to hurt the homebrew community.

Reactions: NEP

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Except that he didn't add those limitations. The exploit he discovered is only userland, so it does not have access to the kernel. The work that smea is doing will bring homebrew to those with a 3ds on 5.x-7.x and hopefully 8.x. I fail to see how he is doing anything to hurt the homebrew community.

The reason I'm against him is because he ditched a much better exploit, with way more capabilities, to go work on one that does "a quarter" of what it could do. He got me really hyped up for a good Homebrew scene that I now don't see coming for a long time (Unless the fucking Flashcard Company's can fill in for him, which sounds terrible).

Thank you for reminding me of this, I've been away so long that I forgot the whole story.

Reactions: Margen67

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You too :^)

For profit exploiting is just bad. Code should be "free" as in "freedom" and "free beer" in an ideal world.

Does vWii hack only enable 3 cores in linux? Is it limited to wii memory limit? It is pretty much useless then.
Even with PS3 256MB RAM is not enough nowadays. Wii Us 1GBs (or maybe even 2) would be pretty comfortable though for a versatile Linux machine.

Yes at this time this exploit only allows access to all 3 cores of the Wii U's Espresso processor. The rest of the hardware used is identical to the original Wii (except for memory addresses etc :P). Regardless of this, there is still the possibility of getting some pretty cool stuff running under it. Perhaps some decent PSX/N64 emulators come to mind :). Of course we're a long way off from that, but the original Wii could technically emulate the PSX and N64, but most games were either unplayable or barely playable. With access to these additional cores, think of the possibilities. If we can get decent PSX/N64 emulation, that expands the possibilities even more.

Not to mention, once this is established as a viable platform for homebrew, you could use it to turn your Wii U into a full blown media center. Just think of the possibilities. Sure its not "cutting edge" hardware by any means, however with a lightweight GUI and Desktop Environment, such hardware won't be necessary. Linux when done right can breathe new life into ancient hardware, just think of what it could do on the Wii U.

Besides, once a full blown Kernel Exploit for Wii U mode is out in the wild, Trinux could be ported fully to Wii U mode giving it full access to ALL of the Wii U's hardware :)

TeamScriptKiddies u can use fb or gl on trinux? For my opinion thegoal is use all ram and a ccellerated graphic under trinux. Today on 360rgh we have,
3Core support bit onlu soft gfx. Only a alpha frame buffer support. A working opengl can turn a wiiu in a super mediacenter (u watch the films and rea info on the pad). Syeam u?

Right now we're only use a framebuffer hack that dates back to the Gamecube Linux days sadly. We need to get some legitimate graphics drivers asap. Its on our current list of things to do (which doesn't actually exist on paper or in a text file or wiki, yet another thing to get done....lol)

picano

Trophies
Website
soifall.net
XP
Country
United States
Texture hacks! I wonder if the formats are similar enough to Wii such that custom stages could be done fairly soon as well...

Even if it isn't made public any time soon, I would love to see my "Hyper Donut" implemented as a real battle arena.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Texture hacks! I wonder if the formats are similar enough to Wii such that custom stages could be done fairly soon as well...

I'd imagine that this texture hack was done by replacing specific texture paths with those of other tracks. That can't just be done with Models, though.

I think it'll be a little while before we see real custom tracks, considering we don't have any access to Wii U disc filesystems at all.

picano

Trophies
Website
soifall.net
XP
Country
United States
You're probably right, but damn if I'm not hyped.

I remember messing trying out the awkward first Brawl texture hacks, messing with the post-load image scraps; eventually becoming someone's guinea pig, burning a disc for each new bast of test textures; messing with files at-load via USB gecko; and finally SD loading along with the explosion of creativity and sharing via Brawl Vault.

Again, I know I won't get to see any of this first-hand in the foreseeable future... but it's exciting nonetheless.

FusionGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're probably right, but damn if I'm not hyped.

I remember messing trying out the awkward first Brawl texture hacks, messing with the post-load image scraps; eventually becoming someone's guinea pig, burning a disc for each new bast of test textures; messing with files at-load via USB gecko; and finally SD loading along with the explosion of creativity and sharing via Brawl Vault.

Again, I know I won't get to see any of this first-hand in the foreseeable future... but it's exciting nonetheless.

I remember burning countless discs for MKWii textures. Each time I created a new batch, there went another disc. I'm so glad we have Riivolution now. Riivolution meant I could create a couple of texture hacks and custom music, test them out and fix any mistakes. Riivolution was a lifesaver for hacking sound effects. Man, the countless hours wasted using Wii Scrubber.

I'm hyped too. (Pikmin 3 Texture hacks!)

Chadderz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.chadsoft.co.uk
XP
Country
Yeah, this really is a nostalga trip for us too, though this is a lot more slick than the first MKWii texture hacks. The replacement is done by editting the .bfres file for the track on our computer, along with swapping the .bgenv file in from another track to generate the night time post effect, and editting the course's .byaml file to remove the plants and bird's nests as well as turning on the headlights, turnning off the pollen and changing the skybox. The edits are then loaded in with our Riifs-like network file loader, so when the game asks for each of the files, we stream it over the network instead. What the video doesn't show is that this increases the load time to over a minute! We'll have to look into making an SD or USB based patcher at some point down the line to try to increase the speed. 1mbps over the network just isn't enough anymore!

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yeah, this really is a nostalga trip for us too, though this is a lot more slick than the first MKWii texture hacks. The replacement is done by editting the .bfres file for the track on our computer, along with swapping the .bgenv file in from another track to generate the night time post effect, and editting the course's .byaml file to remove the plants and bird's nests as well as turning on the headlights, turnning off the pollen and changing the skybox. The edits are then loaded in with our Riifs-like network file loader, so when the game asks for each of the files, we stream it over the network instead. What the video doesn't show is that this increases the load time to over a minute! We'll have to look into making an SD or USB based patcher at some point down the line to try to increase the speed. 1mbps over the network just isn't enough anymore!

lan can do 100 mbps and wifi can do 52 mbps, so why can you only stream with 1 mbps?

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
No idea, Wii side we're literally calling recv on a tcp stream to send the full file, server side exactly the same. Don't know how to optimise that further, short of multiple streams or something.

thats a bummer, hope you find a solution (sd or usb based patcher would be the optimal solution I guess, not everyone wants or can keep a web server running on a pc everytime he plays MK)
I know, you won't release anything until someone else releases an exploit as you don't want to be the guy who unleased piracy on the wiiu, but they day will come, that somebody does that and by that point we hopefully will have something from you guys, thats just waiting to be released already :-)

gudenau

Largely ignored
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
thats a bummer, hope you find a solution (sd or usb based patcher would be the optimal solution I guess, not everyone wants or can keep a web server running on a pc everytime he plays MK)
I know, you won't release anything until someone else releases an exploit as you don't want to be the guy who unleased piracy on the wiiu, but they day will come, that somebody does that and by that point we hopefully will have something from you guys, thats just waiting to be released already :-)

Sounds like a good use for a raspberry pi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: