Hacking Mario Kart 8 AI mod: Are you craving a challenge?

memoryman3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So I've been tampering with Mario Kart 8's parameter files, and found that the AI for this game is much easier to edit than Mario Kart Wii's. This inspired me to make this mod, which improves the game's AI in all CC modes. Also, as of version 2.0, the reverse rubberbanding has been eliminated!

What does it do?

It buffs the AI difficulty on all settings, and adds an Extra Hard Mode! Expert Mode will activate if you select 150cc, Mirror or 200cc (different Expert AI)

Other tweaks
The accuracy of the AI items has been improved. Now they will almost always land a perfect shot at the Hard difficulty.
The AI will always Rocket Start on Hard Mode.
The AI will always land tricks in Hard mode.\
The 200cc AI has been tweaked, they no longer bump into walls or fall off in "Hard" mode. This is apparent in courses such as SNES Rainbow Road and DS Tick Tock Clock.

Download Link
http://www.mediafire.com/file/e1x21z80wiysz0g/Mario_Kart_AI_mod_v2.1.zip

How to install
To install the mod, extract the files and place them in the vol/content/race_common/ai folder in Cafiine. You'll need to restart the game to see the changes take effect when you load them for the first time.

Last edited by memoryman3,

memoryman3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So far, I'm tweaking the 200cc AI to get a nice balance between good driving, and difficulty.

I had to disable their 200cc drifting to do this though, as they are not programmed to use the brakes at all!

memoryman3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Err, can someone help me with tweaking the 200cc DK Jungle AI? They have a tendency to bounce off the bounce pads in the wrong way and fall off sometimes. The code is in AICourseTable_VS.byaml (Look for the EXPERT array)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting. Usually hacking AI in games is a nightmare, or at the very least a very involved assembly hack, but the option to fine tune via handicaps is something I had not expected to see just yet.

EarlAB

hon hon titty croissants
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If you could, it'd be nice to have an easier AI hack as well (including homing green shells maybe?) because my night time meds shut down half of my brain and it's hard to play this game sometimes...
Thank you in advance if you at least consider it...

SkittleDash

Head Nurse
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
ok lol when there will be a tutorial about this i'll be happy to try this mod

To install the mod, extract the files and place them in the vol/contents/race_common/ai folder in Cafiine. You'll need to restart the game to see the changes take effect when you load them for the first time. (This was from the description lol)

Phantom64

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
To install the mod, extract the files and place them in the vol/contents/race_common/ai folder in Cafiine. You'll need to restart the game to see the changes take effect when you load them for the first time. (This was from the description lol)
uhm yeah but i have some issues with caafine and it's still not clear if i must use MK8 from loadiine or from the original disc

Phantom64

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Still doesn't work... i mean, cafiine works great now, but i can't see any difference between with and without the mod \:
i created the MK8's folder and like the "tutorial" said i put all the files into "ai"
053bb275b169f1a85c57cc6f215df567.png

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

ehm... wait, the folder has to be named "content" or "contentS"?

N28582R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Still doesn't work... i mean, cafiine works great now, but i can't see any difference between with and without the mod \:
i created the MK8's folder and like the "tutorial" said i put all the files into "ai"

"content", not "contents".

SkittleDash

Head Nurse
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

I may spy a huge mistake. Your titleid is wrong. There should be no "-"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction